Government trying to block cell phones in cars

Wow... that is crazy. All I gotta say is thanks to those people who still decides to talk on their cells while driving. They're making it easier for the feds to crack down more stupid laws.

Won't happen as a person's car is their private domain, it will fail on those grounds.

Wow... that is crazy. All I gotta say is thanks to those people who still decides to talk on their cells while driving. They're making it easier for the feds to crack down more stupid laws.

Yup, and don't be surprised if this becomes a matter for Homeland Security. :P

Bad idea.

There are emergencies when a phone call is necessary.

Also, why should passengers with phones be prohibited from using them?

I foresee that it would open up a market for products that would disable or go around the block, so it would be pointless.

Education and PSA's against texting and phoning while driving need to be increased. Also, stiffer penalties need to be given for accidents that result.

Bad idea.

I foresee that it would open up a market for products that would disable or go around the block, so it would be pointless.

Education and PSA's against texting and phoning while driving need to be increased. Also, stiffer penalties need to be given for accidents that result.

Right. You still have passengers with cell phones. Emergency calls will be needed.

Bad idea.

Only I can think of... roll the windows down and rise your phone to get the signal to make communicate! Bring it on, daddy!

Bad idea.

This is an interesting one. I guess I'm undecided on this one.

Personally, I have found myself distracted by other people's phones on more than one occasion. Sure, a driver should be able to cope with distractions in general. However, when you hear loud strange noises, it's kinda hard to keep 100% of your attention on driving. A slight lapse could be all that's required to cause an accident.

On the other hand, you're right. What if people crash and get trapped in their car? They may have no other way to communicate and get help. Though, many modern cars will automatically alert the emergency services in the event of an accident. For example, many new BMWs are equipped with this feature as standard. If the airbag(s) are deployed, the car will automatically contact the emergency services for you, giving brief details regarding the nature of crash, along with your location. (GPS technology) In time, I believe that most cars will have this technology and I believe that this could be used as a valid counter-argument for disabling cellular devices in cars.

Not about already crashed and need to call for help but about other minor/major emergencies or simply want to make an important call from his/her car already parked.

Not about already crashed and need to call for help but about other minor/major emergencies or simply want to make an important call from his/her car already parked.

Good question and after a little thought, I know of an answer. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, because it would have applied to my last post too. From a software engineering point of view, it would be possible for a system to automatically disable any cellular blocking technology while the car is stationary by using computer systems along with sensors. In a more simplistic form, the emergency brake could also be used as a switch. Though, this would make it relatively easy to tamper with.

what if the bad guys attack where the gals are inside the cars and how can they call 911? :hmm:

what if the bad guys attack where the gals are inside the cars and how can they call 911? :hmm:

yes, blocking cell phones in cars is banning people from calling 911 or anyone for emergency . Bad idea. better just to give them tickets if caught talking on the cellphone while driving.... they can get money anyway this way.

Government should instead develop scope gun that measures cell phone usage. Police should use those guns and check whether a driver is using it or not.

Cell phones is also our weapon in car, a best defense against crime. We have rights to bear arms!

I am in agreement with this and also that people should not be texting, reading, shaving, putting on makeup or anything that takes away your focus from driving. Innocent people are getting killed everyday by distracted drivers.

Government should instead develop scope gun that measures cell phone usage. Police should use those guns and check whether a driver is using it or not.

Cell phones is also our weapon in car, a best defense against crime. We have rights to bear arms!

Aren't these two statements at polar odds with one another?

Seems like people keep forgetting that driving is not a right, it's a privilege. When you are on the road, everyone including the passengers must comply with the laws. It's for everyone's safety.

You can do whatever you want to on your property, it's just that there are rules to follow whenever you're on the road the taxpayers paid for.

Although I have to say it's not a good idea to jam cell phones in the cars due to the potential emergencies, etc.

This is an interesting one. I guess I'm undecided on this one.

Personally, I have found myself distracted by other people's phones on more than one occasion. Sure, a driver should be able to cope with distractions in general. However, when you hear loud strange noises, it's kinda hard to keep 100% of your attention on driving. A slight lapse could be all that's required to cause an accident.

On the other hand, you're right. What if people crash and get trapped in their car? They may have no other way to communicate and get help. Though, many modern cars will automatically alert the emergency services in the event of an accident. For example, many new BMWs are equipped with this feature as standard. If the airbag(s) are deployed, the car will automatically contact the emergency services for you, giving brief details regarding the nature of crash, along with your location. (GPS technology) In time, I believe that most cars will have this technology and I believe that this could be used as a valid counter-argument for disabling cellular devices in cars.

But not everyone can afford a top-of-the-line modern car with the OnStar feature. I drive 2001 Ford SporTrac. It is still in good condition and I am happy with it.

But not everyone can afford a top-of-the-line modern car with the OnStar feature. I drive 2001 Ford SporTrac. It is still in good condition and I am happy with it.

Yes I understand that but in time, I believe that this will become a standard safety feature. This is often how technology is seen. For example, 10 years ago only the top-end cars typically had traction control as standard. (Though, I believe statistics may differ in North America) Today, most modern cars have traction control.

Jamming cell signals in vehicles will never happen because:

1. People will need to report erratic drivers, drunken drivers, etc.
2. People will need to report road conditions to authorities in inclement weather.
3. If taken hostage, a phone call to 911 can save your life, especially if you've been stuffed in the trunk and your hostage taker hasn't noticed your phone yet.
4. People will need to report forest fires, grass fires, house fires, suspicious behavior at residences and/or businesses.
5. There will be an emergency that will occur and someone will need to report it via cellphone.

Again I stand by it because a vehicle is considered your private domain, however you still need to abide by the laws and regulations while driving on taxpayer (public) funded roads.

The best analogy is that yes, you can do what you want in your house just as so long as you don't harm or place others in danger, this also includes harming yourself or putting yourself in danger. You can have an indoor garden, you just can't grow cannabis.

Back