Google Transcribe and wifi mikes on an Android tablet

dartguru

Reaction score
Hi, I have an elderly father who is now profoundly deaf.

He has an Amazon Fire tablet on which we have installed Google Transcribe and have had a decent degree of success with it and conversation is possible, which has a massive effect on his moods and general well being (especially as the current Covid situation makes him virtually housebound).

The limitation is that the tablet needs to be close to the person speaking for the speech to be transcribed properly, which we can overcome with a plug-in microphone.
The next limitation is when there are 3-4 of us together (say my mum, wife and me) and only one mike.

I've been looking to see if we can get hold of 2-3 clip-on wifi microphones that can be connected to the tablet and therefore the Transcribe app, but haven't really found anything that looks like it might work, especially at a realistic price.

Does anyone have any advice as to how we could resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have an elderly father who is now profoundly deaf.

He has an Amazon Fire tablet on which we have installed Google Transcribe and have had a decent degree of success with it and conversation is possible, which has a massive effect on his moods and general well being (especially as the current Covid situation makes him virtually housebound).

The limitation is that the tablet needs to be close to the person speaking for the speech to be transcribed properly, which we can overcome with a plug-in microphone.
The next limitation is when there are 3-4 of us together (say my mum, wife and me) and only one mike.

I've been looking to see if we can get hold of 2-3 clip-on wifi microphones that can be connected to the tablet and therefore the Transcribe app, but haven't really found anything that looks like it might work, especially at a realistic price.

Does anyone have any advice as to how we could resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance.
I use Google Transcribe all the time. It gets me through classes and lectures. It work very well, too, since Google acquired Dragon's Naturally-Speaking servers. What's going to kill the effectiveness are any bottlenecks! I fast-enough and stable WiFi connection is essential. I use a "retired" AZUS phone with no SIM chip installed, but with the WiFi turned on. Works great and save my phone charge. I had a small plug-in mic, kind of high-end ($50), that worked well, but now that we are all home-bound, the phone's mic is fine, and I just lean the phone on the screen near the speakers and it works fine. When I go mobile, the tiny boom mic is a Videomic ME, by Rode (image a slash in the "o"). 3rd one was a charm for various ones I tried.

So I get a 4 out fo 5 stars clarity with the service, provided the bottlenecks are removed. BTW: It works just as well as AVA. AVA costs are better now, but it's still too much on a fixed income. Good luck ! :thumb:

Hi,

Zoom, Google (Google Meet), and any online platform is effective for using a live caption or closed captioning, which is 98% effective technology platform for any deaf individual to use to communicate or to make a direct call with anyone in a use. Zoom for one it is always good and smooth transition because there is smooth filter the weak signal toward the cam live when it comes to speaking on the live captions.

Back