Google Glass App Gives Conversations Real-Time Closed Captioning

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Georgia Tech researchers have come up with an app that turns Google Glass into a real-time closed-captioning display for the hearing-impaired, using the voice recognition in the user's Glass-paired smartphone. Now this is a face-computer use we can get behind.

Captioning on Glass uses a Glass wearer's smartphone as a remote microphone. The Glass wearer simply hands his or her phone to the other person in the conversation, and the smartphone's mic picks up what the other person is saying. Nearly instantly, a transcription shows up on the Glass display.

Naturally, for the deaf or hearing-impaired, this is a fantastic application. And the research team is working on an even more broadly-applicable integration, a two-way translation feature that could instantly caption conversations in English, Spanish, French, Russian, Korean or Japanese.

http://cog.gatech.edu/index.html

Cool!

Wonder if it would do better than those on YouTube and etc.

Wouldn't be much better if it is just like YouTube.

It is a good start, but it won't be able to function if someone is speaking in subway, or in the big city or a place where everyone are talking at same time.

I would get a google glass if it is able to subtitle from someone's voice directly without a second hand device.

I wonder if they can develop a small microphone like clip it on your tie or part of your shirt just like newscasters to. all they do is talk and that tiny mircophone sends captions on your glasses.

Still doesn't answer my question....

sigh .... you don't bring own glass to theaters. you can borrow glass list : Open Captioned, Rear Window®, CaptiView®, USL CCS®, SONY® Access Glasses, from theaters. If you ingored theaters local 's rules, they caught you to jail or fine, if you wear google glass or glass include camera-equipped.

itd be 10-15 years before its fully operational and cheap.....

Why does that matter since most places if not all now have glasses you can borrow for captioning?

Still doesn't answer my question....

sigh .... you don't bring own glass to theaters. you can borrow glass list : Open Captioned, Rear Window®, CaptiView®, USL CCS®, SONY® Access Glasses, from theaters. If you ingored theaters local 's rules, they caught you to jail or fine, if you wear google glass or glass include camera-equipped.

Read my question again, you have totally misunderstood what I was asking.

I've been saying that this should exist since the moment Google Glass was announced.

Stumbled upon this posting at a bit of an opportune time. This isn't about Google Glass and this closed captioning app, but it's in the same arena...

I'm a mobile dev student out of Dallas, TX and I recently joined this community to share something with anyone that may be interested. I've developed a mobile application for Android and iOS that I believe can be a useful tool for people that are deaf or hard of hearing to use in communication with people that don't know ASL.

The app is called Verbātim and it's free. You can find more details on the app pages here:

Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.erickalexanderfranco.verbatim2

iOS:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/verbatim/id948490849?ls=1&mt=8

Hope it's useful!

Back