Good News for Android users

snallga

Reaction score
Guess what? Google has announced that they have new android OS which it called Android 4.4(Kit Kat) yesterday. Technically, Android 4.4 will have Closed Captioning setting when you watch any videos on your android phone. I am very happy to hear about it. Are you exciting about Closed Captioning setting on Android 4.4?

Certainly a move in the right direction!

I have a HTC One, though I'm not sure when they'll start shipping out the new update.

How great would captions be on a device so small? I find captions on the iPad to be hard enough to see as is, nevermind a phone.

Laura

My JB OS device already utilizes captioning. Aside from having a stream encoding vid app, if its stored, you'll need its accompanying file ( e.g. SRT, DXFP, XML).

I imagine that streaming movies off your phone must really drain the battery. I don't want a phone for movies. I want a phone to communicate and I'd like to take good pictures as a perk....wouldn't it be great if you could call someone and everything they said was captioned...off a mobile phone....that'd be nice.

I imagine that streaming movies off your phone must really drain the battery. I don't want a phone for movies. I want a phone to communicate and I'd like to take good pictures as a perk....wouldn't it be great if you could call someone and everything they said was captioned...off a mobile phone....that'd be nice.

yep-it would be but that's a long way off, voice recognition is still very hard to do...esp with lots new voices...
hell
just 2 months ago there was a feature in the news about AI...and it simulate a mouse's brain in 'working thru a maze following sight for cheese (or smell)...to get equivalent of 'intelligence of a rodent' needs like a 1000x PC and all souped up, well no, military=spec supercomputer and they said in comparison to our brain with take 12 watts of electricity , these computers lkie, an entire power station!!..AND not to mention our human brains are lkie 1000x (or millions) more powerful, complex than the rodents...

just put that into perspective...

we're a LONG WAY off... for any real artificial intelligence

oh ....and this 'good news' is only for rich deafies who have the latest and greatest android phones, mine won't its an older Sensation so im stuck with ICS meh

Not sure which phone you currently have and which provider you are using. But . . . have you looked at the app from Hamilton? I am currently using their mobile app with a low end Android phone that is on T-Mobile. But it works with virtually any phone/provider combination that will give you simultaneous voice and data.

Please throughly read the information on their site: Hamilton CapTel: Smartphone: Apps for Smartphones? The use of a headset that they refer to just comes in handy to know when the other person stops talking after their greeting at the start of the conversation so that you can say something to keep them from hanging up while you are reading the rest of their greeting. You do not have to understand what they are saying.

I am not connected with them — just a user! Feel free to ask questions here or PM me.

Jane B, that's good to see your positive remarks about Hamilton's android smartphone app. I just now registered with Hamilton and am waiting to hear from them about downloading their app. I've used the CapTel landline (800) for a long time. Have carried an ancient cell phone for years, just for emergencies. It will be nice now to actually communicate on one.

A question about iPads, tablets -- can you stream films on them, like you can with a computer? And do they show captions or subtitles. I've been using just DVDs since Netflix went on it two tier system.

I have a samsung galaxy s 2 and i watch tv and movies on my phone ALL the time bc of the cc and it almost always works (which it doesnt on my tv) im gettin the cord where ican hook it up to my tv and comp. I love it. possibly be upgrading to the galaxy s 4 soon.. If i do ill let ya know how that goes.

I have Androids 2.3, 4.1, and 4.2. Looks like it's time to upgrade again, but I'll worry about that later.

Back