Going to Jail for hitting someone while driving?!?!?

Taurus

Reaction score
I was talking to my friend about car and pedestrian accidents. She told me that if a driver hit a pedestrian then driver will go to jail even it wasn't/isn't driver's fault.

I have hard time to believe this. If a girl was running across the street and the driver just found out and tried his/her best to stop the car as she/he can.
The girl's parents SHOULD watch her and find the way to prevent her from walking across the street. It isn't the driver fault.

I understand that the driver should go to jail if he/she hit the girl on purpose but that's not what I was trying to say.

So I try to look up at google.com to check the law relate to pedestrian accidents. Most of websites I found is explaining to me about how people got accidents form cars.. That isn't what I was looking for.

I just want to know if it isn't true that every driver go to jail for hitting someone on street or so.

If my friend is right.. :hmm: I'm not going to drive a car again.

Pedestrians always have the right of way. As a pedestrian, I look both ways before crossing and if a car isn't slowing down, I stop and walk backwards as id rather not risk getting hit. Ill be dead, the driver goes to prison for 10-20 years.

I have no interest in driving for various reasons. Ill be walking, biking, busing, carpooling for transposition.

the answer is - no... but it is entirely up to police officer

the answer is - no... but it is entirely up to police officer

No,

It depends on how the investigation goes, and if charges are filed. If so the you are in the mercy of the courts to decide. Not all go to jail. Some drivers are not charged.

No,

It depends on how the investigation goes, and if charges are filed. If so the you are in the mercy of the courts to decide. Not all go to jail. Some drivers are not charged.

yep. in OP's post, OP stated that a pedestrian get hits and it wasn't driver's fault. That is not an arrestable offense. But then again... you never know at later date if their investigation finds the driver at fault. That's why you must say nothing to police officer for statement and you must retain a lawyer IMMEDIATELY (strongly advisable). You are not required to give statement immediately on site but you will be required to return to station later for your statement.

I once almost hit a child crossing the street - and yes I was paying attention... the child just decided to cross the street where it felt like it... I was :shock: for a while that I was able to stop the car right on time before hitting the child. The child by all means gave me the finger! I was soooooooooo :mad2:

Does that mean that if I were in the US and I hit the child accidentically I would go into prison???? That's so wrong!!!

I was talking to my friend about car and pedestrian accidents. She told me that if a driver hit a pedestrian then driver will go to jail even it wasn't/isn't driver's fault....
Your friend is a lawyer?

There have been times for me also. when a child will run into the road to retireve a football or whatever, without looking for cars.....even kids on bikes who cross the street without looking....

All the times this has happened, I've been able to stop in time (thank God!)....and I've always gotten out of my car to see if the child is alright...ask where he/she lives?...And where are his/her parents?

If the parents are home, I speak to them! A child should be taught at an early age about crossing the street...I've taught my boys this since they were 5....my youngest had a problem with it! He's fine now.

If you are speeding on a residential street, I'm sure you would go to jail, even tho' it wasn't ur fault, drivers are expected to watch out for kids.

Now that school has started, we have to be more cautious than ever, especially at school bus stops when children have to cross a heavily trafficked street.

People even get sued for running over cats & dogs...so yeah, it's best to retain a lawyer.

No but it is depend on the situation. Like if you were drinking and driving then yea you would go to jail. My advice dont drink and drive and get a lawyer.

Pedestrians always have the right of way. As a pedestrian, I look both ways before crossing and if a car isn't slowing down, I stop and walk backwards as id rather not risk getting hit. Ill be dead, the driver goes to prison for 10-20 years.

I have no interest in driving for various reasons. Ill be walking, biking, busing, carpooling for transposition.

I wish I will be walking, biking, and busing, too but there are some situations that I have to drive by myself in future, I think..

I don't think the driver will go to jail for 10 to 20 years.. I checked some websites.. some went to jail for like 1 to 3 years.. (it depend on situations)

It is reasonable to go to jail for around 20 years if you drink and drive.

yep. in OP's post, OP stated that a pedestrian get hits and it wasn't driver's fault. That is not an arrestable offense. But then again... you never know at later date if their investigation finds the driver at fault. That's why you must say nothing to police officer for statement and you must retain a lawyer IMMEDIATELY (strongly advisable). You are not required to give statement immediately on site but you will be required to return to station later for your statement.

Oh.. Thanks for suggest..

Seem like I'll have to save enough money for hire lawyer someday in future for car accident situation or other situations.

I once almost hit a child crossing the street - and yes I was paying attention... the child just decided to cross the street where it felt like it... I was :shock: for a while that I was able to stop the car right on time before hitting the child. The child by all means gave me the finger! I was soooooooooo :mad2:

Does that mean that if I were in the US and I hit the child accidentically I would go into prison???? That's so wrong!!!

:shock::shock::shock:
Wow that child is so.. selfish brat?

I know it is wrong to go to jail for hitting people even if it isn't your fault.

Some people went through this situations but went to jail even it weren't their faults.

I wish I will be walking, biking, and busing, too but there are some situations that I have to drive by myself in future, I think..

I don't think the driver will go to jail for 10 to 20 years.. I checked some websites.. some went to jail for like 1 to 3 years.. (it depend on situations)

It is reasonable to go to jail for around 20 years if you drink and drive.

yes - along with vehicular manslaughter (involuntary manslaughter). For example - the driver was DUI and crashed into a van, killing entire family.

Oh.. Thanks for suggest..

Seem like I'll have to save enough money for hire lawyer someday in future for car accident situation or other situations.

yep a very good idea especially in this litigious country. I have 4 different numbers for lawyers in my cellphone for motorcycle-related, traffic-related, gun-related, and civil rights-related.

yes - along with vehicular manslaughter (involuntary manslaughter). For example - the driver was DUI and crashed into a van, killing entire family.

I read in the newspaper a drunk truck driver got a life sentence for crashing into a van and killing 5 people. He was sentenced 15 years times 5 for 75 years total.

Back