Going deaf @ 28

Megs

Reaction score
My name is Megan and I am going deaf at 28. I have Bi-lateral Meniere's disease. I live in Nashville TN. I want to join the deaf community and I am learning to sign. I am sad and frustrated with my loss however many people tell my how beautiful the deaf community is. I do not have any deaf friends and do not know any deaf people. I stumble on this website and hope to make friends.

Welcome to AllDeaf!!! :wave:

There is a thread in the Our World, Our Culture called Adjustment to Late Onset Deafness that would be a greagt thing for you to read. We have a lot of late deafened people here on AllDeaf of which I am one. I was hard of hearing since birth and slowly lost hearing in both ears. At 42 or 43 I lost it all nad I am 46 now and feeling great about it. I do miss being able to hear some things, but other times I am blessed with the "silence". I am total deaf and just learning ASL.

Sorry this was so long, but I felt it might help you a little.

Gee Botti - you beat me to it. I was typing and you got it in before I finished. Way to go!!

Welcome to AllDeaf!!! :wave:

There is a thread in the Our World, Our Culture called Adjustment to Late Onset Deafness that would be a greagt thing for you to read. We have a lot of late deafened people here on AllDeaf of which I am one. I was hard of hearing since birth and slowly lost hearing in both ears. At 42 or 43 I lost it all nad I am 46 now and feeling great about it. I do miss being able to hear some things, but other times I am blessed with the "silence". I am total deaf and just learning ASL.

Sorry this was so long, but I felt it might help you a little.

Gee Botti - you beat me to it. I was typing and you got it in before I finished. Way to go!!

I'm fast. :lol: Plus briefness helps. Ha! ;)

Welcome. :D

Hope you will stick it around to browse aorund lots of interesting threads/posts.

Hi, megs! This is a great community that has helped me a lot. I hope that you find the support and understanding you need here, too. Welcome! :welcome:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

nd I am going deaf at 28. I have Bi-lateral Meniere's disease.
Welcome! That's awesome you're taking ASL! What about other things like HAs or CIs?
Or are you underinsured? Glad to see you here. Were you also aware of Hearing Loss Association of America and ALDA? (Association of Late Deafened Adults?) We do have some late deafend folks who are regular posters here., although I think most of our young adult regular posters have been dhh since birth. Then again, it does seem like HLAA and ALDA tend to be made up of older people. Welcome. Jump right in!

32 and diagnosed with bilateral Meniere's about three years ago. Snap crackle pop, and I don't mean the cereal:( (Inside humor for us Meniere's kids)

Welcome to Alldeaf. It's actually been quite a while since I've been on here, but you will find a lot of good resources.

Welcome Megan like you I have Meniere's Disease and lost total hearing from it in a very short time the disease can be really ugly. Going deaf is not the end of the world and really not all that bad we learn to adapt to new things like learning how to read lips. I know you came to the right place and will make some wonderful new friends here like I did who are very supportive.

:wave: and welcome Megs, I am in my 30's and suddenly <it seemed> started losing my hearing couple of years ago. My husband is oral deaf. I identify as hard of hearing and am becoming re-involved in Deaf community, sign some. I am really finding supportive and friendly people on here:)

Hi Megs, my daughter is only 27 and was born deaf in her right ear and 2 weeks before xmas 09 she woke up deaf in her left ear. I hope that we will get precious information and friendships from this site also. She is still working through the shock and trauma of this happening to her at the moment.....and so am I. We dont know why this has happened to her. Her MRI was normal and there doesnt seem to be any obvious reason.
I wonder in time can anyone tell us with an implant how good the hearing will eventually become? Does it ever get past one on one conversation? Do implants, eventually with time and patience, give you the ability to go to a restaurant and talk with everyone at the table? etc. etc...
Anyway......nice to meet you.

Back