Going bilateral...

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
I am thinking of looking into if my insurance (Medicare and Medicaid) will cover a second CI for me. I want to know what it's like to hear in stereo and have sound localization. I think sound localization will help me a lot. Also, I am drooling over the new Nucleus 5 implant. It comes with a remote control which would rock.

Thoughts?

well - not a CI myself, but I would think it would be cool, but if you were already a ci and used to it, then it might be a worthwhile upgrade.

Just to clarify ..

Nucleus 5 isn't the implant , thats the processor.A processor that could , depending on which internals you have , work with your current implant ( Most likely its the CI24RE ). So if its just the processor that you want , there is a good chance you could upgrade your freedom processor.

Just to clarify ..

Nucleus 5 isn't the implant , thats the processor.A processor that could , depending on which internals you have , work with your current implant ( Most likely its the CI24RE ). So if its just the processor that you want , there is a good chance you could upgrade your freedom processor.

I know. I want to go bilateral for sound localization.

that would be really cool.....but on the other hand, aren't you worried that sequesteration cuts may affect your abilty to go bilateral?

I'm not a CI user but when I wear 1 HA even if its only in my slightly better ear I don't like it, I don't feel fully aware. Even tho my bad ear is very profound, I much prefer 2 HAs. I would def get 2 CIs if you can :)

I have the Nucleus 5 processor with the remote. The remote is very nice. I only have a CI in my left ear. My other ear is totally deaf but after the experience I had with my first CI I am a little too freaked out to get another. It's all good now but I was pretty miserable for a few months post surgery. I do sometimes wish I could get a 2nd CI but I don't want to mess with a good thing. For those who are going for it good luck!!!

I read your blog, and also wonder if it would be approved. With your history, and the fact that your greatest benefits are music and sound localization they might not approve. How much oral language do you understand now?

HA user here so maybe the same, maybe not, but even with 2 HA I can't locate sounds. It's frustrating so I understand why you would want to try.

Medicare isn't clear about bilateral coverage, so check with the CI center and Cochlear about this. Also, each state's Medicaid criteria is different, so you'll want to check directly with them as well.

I read your blog, and also wonder if it would be approved. With your history, and the fact that your greatest benefits are music and sound localization they might not approve. How much oral language do you understand now?

I can only lipread a little.

I'm hoping that going bilateral will help with things like hearing cars in a very busy traffic intersection. I got startled by cars and a semi-truck while crossing the street at a busy intersection a few weeks ago because I didn't hear them from the right. My CI is on my left ear so it's difficult to hear things from the right sometimes. I want sound localization.

Medicare isn't clear about bilateral coverage, so check with the CI center and Cochlear about this. Also, each state's Medicaid criteria is different, so you'll want to check directly with them as well.

Yes indeedy......and trust me, it is most likely going to get harder to get bilaterally or even just one implant (meaning they are most likely going to REALLY cut down eligabilty) due to the sequestiation.
Have you tried an HA on the other ear for sound localization benefit? I mean even many people who don't get speech benefit, often get sound localization with a HA....just a thought.

Yes indeedy......and trust me, it is most likely going to get harder to get bilaterally or even just one implant (meaning they are most likely going to REALLY cut down eligabilty) due to the sequestiation.
Have you tried an HA on the other ear for sound localization benefit? I mean even many people who don't get speech benefit, often get sound localization with a HA....just a thought.

I can't hear anything with a HA.

Lucia, good luck with going bilateral. If you have not done so already check with Insurance support at Cochlear Americas they should be able to give you some advice.
I have also read that another processor might be coming out but it is just a rumor at this point.

If anything maybe you can get an upgrade. I would talk to your audiologist to get their opinion as well.

I didn't think about the budget cuts affecting this! I'd get on this ASAP before they think to cut bilateral! If it comes down to it I know a lot of people who buy temporary insurance policies in order to get a CI. They negotiate it with the insurance company. More expensive of course but might be your only option? Good luck, I'll pray for you :)

Back