Give personal info to VRS's interpreters?

Reaction score
Hi everybody!:wave:
I have some questions for VRS and I would like to get some answers/opinions. Do you give personal information to VRS interpreters? I mean like do you give them SSN or credit card info? I get nervous when they ask me for SSN or credit card. Then I told them no and say I rather find other way by not giving SSN or credit card.

Oh, suppose the caller "put on hold" Do you talk to interpreter while holding? Or just sit there and do nothing? lol

I wouldn't give my Social over VRS, no thanks. I don't really go spewing that out anyway. If someone needs it for a bill or whatever, I'll go in person.

I don't typically talk to the terp while on hold..... I may sign something like ( That Jack A** he put me on hold ) and make them giggle, but I really don't think I'm put on hold too often honestly. :dunno:

It really depends and its common sense. I try not to give out personal info via signs. I use the phone vco only when I make the call out. If sometimes calls me and need my personal info, I tell them sorry, I don't know you and you made the call to me. I think if everyone uses common sense, then there would be no issues with securities.
also I try not to chat with terp as they have more then enough stress on their hands and arms working all day.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Hi everybody!:wave:
I have some questions for VRS and I would like to get some answers/opinions. Do you give personal information to VRS interpreters? I mean like do you give them SSN or credit card info? I get nervous when they ask me for SSN or credit card. Then I told them no and say I rather find other way by not giving SSN or credit card.

Oh, suppose the caller "put on hold" Do you talk to interpreter while holding? Or just sit there and do nothing? lol
Why would VRS ask for your SSN and credit card info? Please clarify.

Why would VRS ask for your SSN and credit card info? Please clarify.

I've had no choice but to give out CC or SSN numbers to IP-Relay whenever the companies I call ask for it. I absolutely hate doing it but I've got no choice. I have had identity theft on my name/info and I often wonder if this was the cause of it. I have no way of knowing. Relay/VRS are supposed to be bound by privacy laws and not share information but who knows.

he's just wondering if you're fine with giving out SSN/credit card info to company via VRS.
A company such as a bank or credit card company MUST ask for those info (acct num, SSN, password, etc) to prove that it's really you to prevent fraud per its policy. VRS only interprets them. If he's uncomfortable with it, then he would have to write a letter to the company instead of calling via VRS.

Use COMMON SENSE. In other words, if he refuses to give out his personal info through VRS, the company he's calling can't help him at all. That's his choice, calling via VRS (if the company has no TTY number), writing a letter or going to the company office in person. Some financial companies have a TTY number for direct calls.

That question he's asking us is very very old.

I've had no choice but to give out CC or SSN numbers to IP-Relay whenever the companies I call ask for it. I absolutely hate doing it but I've got no choice. I have had identity theft on my name/info and I often wonder if this was the cause of it. I have no way of knowing. Relay/VRS are supposed to be bound by privacy laws and not share information but who knows.
That's why the relay operators are required to provide their employee id number at the beginning of a call. If one doesn't, ask for it to protect yourself.

As for ID theft, it could be one of them or another person who hacks your computer. There are thousands and thousands of hackers all over the world.

I can understand how you feel. its the same thing for interpreter in real life. I suppose if you can tell them to find another way if possible. If not, then its your loss. i guess. interpreters do have ethical codes. i know its not always the case. same idea for laywers or cops who knows everything about you. :dunno:

I have no idea of other VRS than Sorenson. I wouldn't worry too much, and won't lose sleep over this. Many of you may not realize this, like any calling center, they process thousands of calls each week making it very difficult for them to remember details of every calls. I received too many calls back then when I work for VRS, I always ask for address verification, guess what? I can't even remember single of them! Even customers names too! It was really difficult for me to remember anything that I have done at work. Sometimes customer recalled me and asked me if I remember them, it was real embarrassed for me that I can't recall them. It applies to terp too, they have to process tons of calls, there is no way they could remember. Rest assure that they have to adhere very, I mean very strict policy and I believe (Due to FCC regulations) that they apply on the rest of relay industry that they CANNOT bring anything to their work except themselves. They can't bring in cell phone, notepad, laptop, paper, pen, etc. If they were caught bringing them to their work, it is their ground for termination (Most cases instant termination). No relay employees can afford this risk because they will be blacklist by FCC and barred from working with any relay companies. No relay companies can afford these risks because FCC is watching them like Hawk. Also, some of you think terp might take a break from work after your call anytime, it does not happen that way. Terps are randomly select for break by supervisors, they can't leave their work until supervisor give them green light making this difficult for them to cheat the system.

Keep in mind, jot down terp ID that you see from screen not from the terp's hands. They all know that their ID is being displayed on the screen for Deaf customers to see, which is good thing because they know their ID is being recorded.

I personally have used VRS since 2003, and I have relay my SSN and other sensitive information with them and have not had single issue with them, including ID thieves.

I don't know about other VRS center but the only thing I know in Sorenson VRS call centers, that they use closed secure office space where only VRS terps can get in and I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to bring purses or any other electronic devices into that room. The desk is empty, only VP and computer console. That was it. VRS terps must follow code of ethic and rules of privacy. So, obviously they have no place to write down on piece of paper except only white board and must be erase at the end of call. So, there's no way for them to remember your SSN or CC # and there's no way for them to write down cuz there's no pen and paper or anything like that.

I forgot to mention that when I apply for VRS back then, this is standard procedure for all employees that company will run deep background check on all new hires and I had to go though this procedure. They don't take this lightly, if they see bad marks on prospective employee background check, they won't hire them. So, the chances of having anyone who have committed misdemeanor or more severe crimes would get in relay company is far very slim. So, anyone who wants to work inside relay companies in future, I would suggest not to commit any crimes otherwise they will be SOL. I don't believe any other relay companies would want to hire somebody off from street without checking from top to bottom, because if they take that risk, they stand risk of losing FCC certification.

Confidental

why you worry about confidental on vrs?

excerpted from FCC TRS Rules

(2) Confidentiality and conversation content. (i) Except as authorized by section 705 of the Communications Act, 47 U.S.C. 605, CAs are prohibited from disclosing the content of any relayed conversation regardless of content, and with a limited exception for STS CAs, from keeping records of the content of any conversation beyond the duration of a call, even if to do so would be inconsistent with state or local law. STS CAs may retain information from a particular call in order to facilitate the completion of consecutive calls, at the request of the user. The caller may request the STS CA to retain such information, or the CA may ask the caller if he wants the CA to repeat the same information during subsequent calls. The CA may retain the information only for as long as it takes to complete the subsequent calls.

(ii) CAs are prohibited from intentionally altering a relayed conversation and, to the extent that it is not inconsistent with federal, state or local law regarding use of telephone company facilities for illegal purposes, must relay all conversation verbatim unless the relay user specifically requests summarization, or if the user requests interpretation of an ASL call. An STS CA may facilitate the call of an STS user with a speech disability so long as the CA does not interfere with the independence of the user, the user maintains control of the conversation, and the user does not object. Appropriate measures must be taken by relay providers to ensure that confidentiality of VRS users is maintained.​

STS speech to speech

Back