Girl who is deaf trains to be a horse jockey

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Girl who is deaf trains to be a horse jockey - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

We all face challenges but when it comes down to it, what matters is how we handle them. NBC Right Now met with one woman who is not letting her barrier stand in the way of her dream.

23-year-old Neiba Ponce is deaf but working toward becoming a horse jockey. This is a very challenging goal when she cannot even hear her trainer.

Neiba wanted to become a horse jockey after she watched riders on television as a child. She spoke with many instructors who told her she would never be able to fulfill her dream because of her disability. She is now proving them wrong.

Ten months ago she met Bob and Kim Lawrence with the Sundowns Training Center. Neither Bob nor Kim knew or know how to sign but have found a way to communicate.

"We would start to write back and forth and start to gesture and that's how we would communicate," says Neiba Ponce, deaf horse rider.

"Lots of charades. When we play charades at home I'm the world champion," says Bob Lawrence, Neiba's trainer and owner of Sundowns Training Center.

Lawrence says Neiba must keep eye contact with him or they cannot communicate. However, Neiba isn't letting it take her eyes of her goal.

"I want to encourage deaf people if they want to become jockeys or if they want to become other things that they have that opportunity that the deaf can do things, don't accept no, and don't accept never," says Ponce.

This is very wonderful! I really want to be a horse jockey since I sparked my love of horses when I was a baby and I had a similar experience as hers when people said that I couldn't race because of my disability. I also want to be a horse trainer.

Nice. IS there any requirement for the weight standard? i thought it s better for less than 120 lbs??

Nice. IS there any requirement for the weight standard? i thought it s better for less than 120 lbs??

There have been jockeys as tall as six foot -- Of course they were skinny as a grasshoppers hind legs. Come to think of it as a kid I was six foot (I've since shrunk) and only weighed 130 pounds (So Now I'm twice the man I used to be).

Cannot conceive what hearing would have to do with horse riding. last I heard horses don't speak people anyway and nobody I know speaks horse. Jockeys communicate with body language.

There have been jockeys as tall as six foot -- Of course they were skinny as a grasshoppers hind legs. Come to think of it as a kid I was six foot (I've since shrunk) and only weighed 130 pounds (So Now I'm twice the man I used to be).

Cannot conceive what hearing would have to do with horse riding. last I heard horses don't speak people anyway and nobody I know speaks horse. Jockeys communicate with body language.

Gives me something to think about!....Animals don't speak (as far as I know)...so it's body language and touch/feel/sight...Hope this girl succeeds...I enjoy horse racing, but I'm terrified of horses, actually, and they know I'm cautious of them also.

My ex owned several horses, even broke them, and tried for so long to get me to be comfortable around them. But just looking at their powerful torso and their teeth....I got the jitters!

Hearing jockeys probably listen for the horses behind them (assuming they're not at the back of the pack) to tell how close they might be.

A deaf jockey may just need to use his/her peripheral vision a bit more and/or look over his/her shoulder more often than an hearing jockey. Or they may be able to feel the other horses approaching.

I used to ride horses in drill comp, and gymkhana. Never liked racetracks, very inhumane people there, although, I like this story.

Back