Girl, 10, honored for using sign language to help deaf crash victim

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
signlanguageparamedicscbs.jpg

LENEXA, Kan. —A 10-year-old girl who learned sign language from her mother was honored Monday for putting it to use in an unexpected way.

Earlier this month, Yesenia Diosdado saw a Johnson County Med-Act ambulance crew helping a woman injured in a car crash. She said the woman appeared to be deaf, so she ran over to help the medics communicate with her.

"I saw that she was signing, so I decided to go help," Diosdado said. "I was really nervous."

Johnson County Med-Act Capt. Chris Winger surprised Diosdado Monday with a medal and certificate of thanks at Rising Star Elementary School.

"It was awesome," Winger said. "(It's) kind of nice in today's world to have someone so young have such a huge impact."

He said the injured woman was able to get to a hospital much faster because of Diosdado's help.

Girl, 10, honored for using sign language to help deaf crash victim

2nd link with pic:

LENEXA, KS – (WLNS) – Paramedics are praising a 10-year-old girl for her communication help after a car crash.

Yesenia Diosdado was playing outside with a friend when she remembers hearing a “weird sound.” She wanted to go look and see what the sound was. When she checked, she saw a car accident and noticed paramedics were having trouble communicating with an injured woman.

Diosdado quickly came to the rescue and put her sign language skills to the test. She was able to communicate with the injured woman and help paramedics learn which hospital the woman wanted to go to. The woman was not seriously injured.

“We would not have been able to establish what her injuries were without significant delays of having to establish another means of communication,” said Chris Winger of Johnson County, KS Med-Act.

Diosdado’s mother started teaching her sign language when she was only a year old. Her mother says she told her children “even if you may never use it, the importance of sign language is everywhere.”

Paramedics honored the girl at her school with a certificate and medal.

Girl Honored for Helping Paramedics Through Signing

More details:

Ten-year-old Yesenia Diosdado is revising an English assignment. But it turns out the language that's proven to be most valuable is the one she knows that's silent. Yesenia's mother started teaching her sign language when she was just a year old.

"I have always explained to me kids -- even if you may never use it -- the importance of sign language is everywhere," her mother Susan Mulidore told CBS News.

A little over a week ago Yesenia found out her mother was right all along. She was playing outside with a friend in Lenexa, Kansas.

"I heard a weird sound so I wanted to go look," she told CBS News.

It turned out the sounds and commotion were a car accident. Yesenia saw the paramedics trying to talk to a woman who'd been hurt and was still in the car. She could see they were having trouble communicating. That was until the brave girl rushed in and started signing with her. "Are you hurt?" she asked the woman using her hands.

The woman told her that she was indeed injured, and with Yesenia's help also instructed the paramedics which hospital she wished to be admitted to.

"We would not have even been able to establish what her injuries were without significant delays of having to establish another means of communication," said Chris Winger, one of the paramedics who was present at the scene of the accident.

While it turns out the woman wasn't seriously hurt, Yesenia did help ease the transfer to the hospital. In recognition of her heroic efforts, the paramedics presented her with a certificate and medal of appreciation. While Yesenia was surprised by all the attention, it's now undeniable that learning sign language was well worth the effort.

"Just knowing the simple alphabet of sign language can be a huge benefit, especially in a situation like this," said her mother.

Girl helps paramedics through sign language skills

I hope this will encourage some paramedics to learn ASL . That little girl will go far in life.

Back