Getting new hearing aids next week.

toffeekukki

Reaction score
So today I discovered that one of my hearing aids has got corrosion in the battery draw.
Called the Audiology department.
They said we have all your records. We are not making any internal appointments due to the Pandemic. We can send you a new pair out in the post, they should arrive early next week.
I'm shocked. It used to take 3-6 months to get a call back for the smaller things. Now I am getting a second pair through the post. Why was this not an option before covid. This is one of the ways that the Pandemic has improved things for me when it comes to my hearing aids.

Im glad that it seemed to improve.

I have been with and consider myself still with Md Hearing Aid Service after the Owner Retired however the very good hearing aid company finally went out of business so there is no parts or labs to rebuild the four old ones. I have them in storage but they are in a variety of need for repairs or parts.

I do small things in modeling for example 1/87 or HO scale Model Trains hae been for years however my recent eye surgeries changed the vision pernamently. If you put a tiny medicine box with the fine print, I used to be able to read it with the one natural eye but since that one has a new lenses that is fixed I have to be under strong light and 24 inches or so from the box. With additional magification to read that small. So sending me hearing aid parts is non sequeiter. the pay off is not having to wear glasses inside a home or a car. They are there anyway just in case.

I have a pair of hearing aids retail in Cabot on the shelf where its been patiently waiting, the Covid thing out all of us over a year. In some ways we are going back to normal but not there yet. There is just too much catching up to be done fast. In the meantime I use the 20 dollar hearing boosters from walmart. They are not prescribed hearing aids and legally cannot be called that. However they provide 500 to 3500 hertz boost of any sound in that range (Lower voice end) to 30 db higher into your ear. My normal hearing aids at full power can provide twice that if not more on command with the safety off.

From what I could tell as a customer on my end there is about 5 hearing aid companies left in business. They are being eroded by booster companies who think they can send you something fancy, run a sound check and then make you think you are wearing hearing aids prescribed for you. On the other hand they are disposble.So when the onboard battery burns up or leaks, throw it away and get another for 20 dollars. Until the next year to 18 months which for me has been a fine workaround. But not perfect. I like my organ and cannot do well with the boosters. Quality is not there.

I've had the same experience, both my aids kept cutting out middle of last year, just as the first lockdown here in London was nearing its end, I emailed them and within two days I had an email back saying they had posted a new pair.

Normally emails would have taken a few weeks to get answered, and even when walk in repair clinics were open id usually have to wait.

And since then every aspect of the audiology dept seems to be running way quicker and smoother than it did before the pandemic.

Not sure why I couldn't before, bit it's great that it does now.

So today I discovered that one of my hearing aids has got corrosion in the battery draw.
Called the Audiology department.
They said we have all your records. We are not making any internal appointments due to the Pandemic. We can send you a new pair out in the post, they should arrive early next week.
I'm shocked. It used to take 3-6 months to get a call back for the smaller things. Now I am getting a second pair through the post. Why was this not an option before covid. This is one of the ways that the Pandemic has improved things for me when it comes to my hearing aids.

Wow, that's service for you, can I ask if they are NHS aids?.

For my replacement earmold I have to attend the hospital to get them. they won't even post them, my hearing is an NHS one which is very good, now I'd be lost without it.

Last edited:
Back