Getting my CROS HA on the 27th!!

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
As you know, it has been quite a few years since I wore HAs, I just got news that my HAs have arrived and I am going have them on the 27th. I will have to go for a fitting and adjustments. I am hoping the technology has improved since the late 90's and early 2000's. Since there is a mall in the city, I may go there to try them out once I get them. I will probably take the day off from work to have this done.

I'm actually looking forward to this.

Good luck. Technology is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was when you last wore hearing aids.

Hope you like them. :fingersx:

I'm sure you'll be fine, as Bott says, technology is streets ahead now compared with only a decade or so ago.

Congrats !

Are you getting CROS , or BiCROS ?

CROS is for those with SSD, but normal hearing on one side.

BiCros is for those completely deaf (+120db) on one side, and mild-severe HL on the other side.

The difference is the th BiCros is both a hearing aid for the ear it's in and has the receiver which 'hears' sound from the other side. The totally deaf side wears a transmitter that looks like a HA, but unlike a HA, it only has a microphone (to pick up sound) but no speaker (to amplify the sound and direct it into that ear.
The transmitter (corded or wireless) sends anything the microphone 'picks up' over to the HA in the other ear, which then is sent through to speaker in that HA and hear by the person.

I hope you like the CROS - I know a few CROS users who like it. Many CROS users find that they prefer the BAHA (if they qualify) for their deaf side.

For those like myself with complete deafness on one side (+120db) and also mild/moderate hearing loss on their other side there are two options:

1) If the HL on the mild-moderate side is conductive (or mixed) some will get bilateral BAHAs ... (Similar to those with TCS, who often use Bilateral BAHAs)

2)If the HL on the mild-moderate side is Sensorineural (versus conductive) some elect to get the BAHA placed on the deaf side, and use a traditional HA on the mild/mod side.

In all these situations having an Audie who's familiar with BAHA and their use for SSD, or "SSD plus" is important. It seems quite common for us to know far more about BAHA, CROS/BiCROS etc than many Audies - part of this is likely because we have a very intimate relationship with our HoH-ness / d/Deafness and as such a personal interest in finding what amplification works best / is likely to work best for us (should amplification be something we're interested in)

If you haven't tried the headband/softband BAHA - perhaps ask your Audie to "humour you" and let you try it ... You might find it beneficial to compare the BAHA to the CROS (
Before the CROS trial is up). Apparently there is also a new less invasive BAHA coming on the market that eliminates having an exposed grommet (piece the BAHA clicks into) - they're using a subcutaneous magnet instead.

HTH ...

From what I understand it is BiCROS as the way I my Audi explained it is that I will have a receiver on my deaf side that will send the sound to the other side that has an actual HA. But the Audi isn't putting in an earmold. She wants to try it without the earmold to see how I do. I am profound on left side and moderate on my right side. Hopefully it will be wireless. If not I'm hoping it can be converted to wireless.

Only 7 more days. :dance:

Who knew a 28 year old would be excited about a HA? LOL.

Dixie - I hope they will be just what you are looking for. You truly have so much going on, that you deserve some happiness.

Got my new HA today. OMG I had no idea I was so noisy! I realized I'm a very noisy walker, my DDs stomping fits are actually VERY loud, and I had to turn down the dinger on my iPhone as when I got a notification it scared the crap out of me. I can hear traffic on the highway, my brakes are squeaky, I can belch REALLY loud, and the bath room at the mall was total murder on my ear. I even heard mom turn on the shower upstairs which I haven't heard in YEARS!! Jesus I am going to drive everyone batty over this little thing behind my ear!

I'm LOLing...........you know you're a deaf person when you're freaked out about how you can hear stuff with a hearing aid.

The A/C is even audible but not loud.

Lol, I just realized the desktop computer makes noise while it's running. I kept looking around like, what's that humming noise? My dd said it's the desktop computer. Good grief.

Congrats Dixie!! I remember I was freaked out just hearing the toilet flush. I had never in my life heard that. Also, frogs. I had never heard them ever before until I had my HA's at age 38. The ones I had from ages 7-10 did not let me hear those things at all.

Does that mean air conditioning? Why do you have on air conditioning at the end of December?

Because my dad is just that way. If it's anything above 50 outside, the A/C is on. Now you know why I sleep with several blankets on my bed and why I wear hoodies all the time. :shock:

Because my dad is just that way. If it's anything above 50 outside, the A/C is on. Now you know why I sleep with several blankets on my bed and why I wear hoodies all the time. :shock:

:lol: Yes. And I did ask..

Back