Getting 2nd Cochlear Implant!

LoveTiger

Reaction score
I cant wait to get the 2nd Cochlear Implant!!!!!!! I recently got the first implant 6 mo. ago on Oct 18, 2007.. Eversince I got it, I love it!!! I wanna try 2nd implant on my bad ear n see how it works, also compare to my good ear. Wish me luck! Hehehe:fingersx:

Welcome to AllDeaf - again I guess.

Looking forward to hear about your experiences with the second implant..

Welcome and glad you love your CI! Enjoy your future CI moments :D And wish you luck with 2nd implant if you get one.

Is your unimplanted ear pretty much unaidable? I'm not nessarily anti bilateral implants.......I just think that b/c the benifits from a second implant tend to be kind of minimal (ie localizing sound and better hearing in noise), that, it might be worth it to experiment and see if there might be a HA out there that could help you localize sound.

i recently got implanted in my good ear that i used to wear hearing aid on that ear but the other ear cannot hear w/ hearing aids and im curious putting the 2nd implant in my bad ear n see if it works or not. ;)

I went bilateral last year in my "bad ear" and love it! I wore a HA in that ear but the benefit was very limited and together with the first CI, I could never tell whether it was switched on. We trialled 2 other HAs and then went ahead with the CI surgery. In that bad ear, I was scoring 55% in sentence testing without visual clues within just about 2 weeks of activation. This went up from 0% with the HA so I was pleased, as this was my bad ear.

It also seems to help me hear more easily in noisy conditions compared to one CI. Also, for me, having two CIs made me feel less technologically dependent on the one.

Congratulations! :) I also have bilateral CIs and love them. I echo many of the comments said above by R2D2. Thanks to my second CI, I'm able to localize sound and hear speech much better in noise. Speech and music also have a fuller, richer more natural sound quality as well. In my case, I had my worse ear implanted first and my better ear implanted second. I don't regret my decision to go bilateral for a second. All the best to you in your journey. :)

I hear rave reviews about going bilateral! I just implanted in August 2007 and its been an amazing whirlwind of sound! I am going to go bilateral next year with my good ear.

I wish you the best of luck!

Congrats!! I mentioned to my Audie when I saw him last week that if they start doing bilateral implants to let me know!

Oh, in that case I totally would opt for bilateral implantation. If it's really clear and obvious that HA can't help you even with enviromental sounds or localizing sounds....GO for it! (on the list of "listening abilities", enviormental sound and localizing sound rank as the most basic skills) R2D2, do you think that most bilateral implant canidates (excepting those with severe tintiuas or recruitment) should have an intensive trial period with HA first?
neecy, you're in Canada right? I know they're really strict with criteria for qualifying for a first implant. It's prolly going to be YEARS before they approve bilateral implants,( and then only for those with severe tintituas and recruitment)

for many who have used the HA in the non implanted ear eventually the two do not work well together. Some cannot even stand the HA with Ci from the start. Others have no problem using the two together at all. I quit using HA after a few months because the sound from the HA had become distorted and it was just easier to go without.

R2D2, do you think that most bilateral implant canidates (excepting those with severe tintiuas or recruitment) should have an intensive trial period with HA first?

Yes. I think you will find that most bilateral candidates do have trials with HAs before they have surgery as they have to satisfy the insurance company that there no cheaper and less invasive alternatives that could provide equivilent or similar results.

for many who have used the HA in the non implanted ear eventually the two do not work well together. Some cannot even stand the HA with Ci from the start. Others have no problem using the two together at all. I quit using HA after a few months because the sound from the HA had become distorted and it was just easier to go without.

I have to use a hearing aid on my non-implanted ear since that ear can not be implanted and I do make adjustments to the hearing aid to tune it to the implant not to the ear and it has been working very well and the hearing aid actually helps a great deal to make the sound more full with the implanted ear. I need both ears to work together and after one year using the implant it is still the case.

Yes, results vary tremendously, from person to person. That's basicly the main reason why I think that, unless there's mitigrating circumstances that, most people should not get bilateral implants initially. I mean there's still a significent percentage of people who get benifit from a CI-HA combo. That indicates for some, its an avenue to pursue.

I cant wait to get the 2nd Cochlear Implant!!!!!!! I recently got the first implant 6 mo. ago on Oct 18, 2007.. Eversince I got it, I love it!!! I wanna try 2nd implant on my bad ear n see how it works, also compare to my good ear. Wish me luck! Hehehe:fingersx:

That's cool! I am happy for you to hear. My little cousin has 2 CI. It helping him to hear a lot. He can speak very fast. I am surprise that. I will get a CI in few years when I get marry. I am still wear 2 HA. They're not help me to hear like CI. I am still profoundly deaf and poor speak. I want to learn speak when I receive the implant. I don't believe in deaf people are Anti-CI and reject on CI people. They need to respect to CI people's choice.

Wish you have a good luck! Let pray for you to hear. Trust in god will heal you. :)

Yay! Good luck. I'm hopefully getting my bilateral implants on June 10th. I can't wait!!! :)

Wow good luck!
My inital plan was to save my right ear, my "good" ear for future technology like ribbon electrode but my right ear been driving me crazy because my brain won't stop trying so hard to get sound to go thru my right not my left implanted side ugh lol I been trying to force my brain to accept that new sound input comes in LEFT ear not right one anymore LOL
You're probbaly going "how?" well my right ear keep making up phantom sound when my ci's off and act like I actually heard that and fooled me couple times I thought my hearing was coming back when I thought I heard things like banging my fork on the plate while looking at plate my right was going "I heard that" and make realistic tinnitus sound like fork banging on plate! I thought it was real and told fiance "I can hear now!" and he told me to try look away and do it again see if I hear it and I did and I didn't hear it I was like "ahh! Damn you brain!"
Driving me nuts seriously I might go bilateral even sooner than I thought/planned to lol. Unless the ribbon electrode come out soon enough then I'll wait :lol:
Anyways good luck keep us updated!

skullchick...??

I'm curious, do you wear a Hearing Aid on the non-implanted ear? How much hearing do you have on the non-implanted ear? I read about the ribbon-like Cochlear implant and am curious as to when they'll be ready to be put in humans. Can you feel the implant on your head? Or is the feeling gone? Has your hair grown back (completely)?

My surgery is next week!!! Tuesday May 6th..I'm getting a little nervous.

Back