Get ATT to make Relay Call when calling you back?

Jane B.

Reaction score
I have been working with ATT to try to improve the speed of my internet connection. BUT every time they are to call me back thry have not done so even when asked to. Does anyone know how to get them to make an outgoing RELAY CALL. I am not really surprised at this as most of the time they need to have relay explained when they answer a call to them; but sure would like to get them to do this.

Sorry for the almost double post. I just found were I asked about this problem on Wednesday with not replies, so far! Really would like to solve this.

Last edited:
I have been working with ATT to try to improve the speed of my internet connection. BUT every time they are to call me back thry have not done so even when asked to. Does anyone know how to get them to make an outgoing RELAY CALL. I am not really surprised at this as most of the time they need to have relay explained when they answer a call to them; but sure would like to get them to do this.

Sorry for the almost double post. I just found were I asked about this problem on Wednesday with not replies, so far! Really would like to solve this.
hmm... are you using a TTY? I see they have a TTY specific number maybe that will help? 866.241.6567. Let me share this page this is which I found information.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1207497/

Hope this help!

Annie - Dearheart :)

The fact that my question is about them making a RELAY CALL TO MY LANDLINE seems to have slipped through the cracks. Annie, are you familiar with Relay and the use of VCO (where the person needing the captions talks for themself). That is what I am wanting to get them to do. When I make a Relay Call to them with VCO (I talk for myself) I can get them connected (but most of the time the Reps need Relay explained to them!). It is when they want a number to call in case of disconnection or when they say them will call back with more information that I have been unable to get them to make Relay Calls to me.

Last edited:
Sorenson does the same thing. Just file complaints to ATT. Very few reps/terps were able to make outgoing relay calls back to me after the disconnection.

I thought of something yesterday and checked it with Illinois Relay Support. And . . ..their understanding is that it should work. That is since ATT (or anyone else setup the same way) does not have 711 setup as an outgoing number give them the old 800 number (In Illinois that voice caller number is 800-526-0857) from whatever state you are in. If they start by calling that it should reach the Relay Center and then your full phone number can be given to connect a Relay Call to you. It is expected to work even if the agent is not in your state.

You still might be able to get more help from that site I mentioned above there is phone number to call and maybe you can explain your situation. 866.241.6568 (voice)

Sounds frustrating you think they would know about these things.

Another way is to have a register phone number that will automatically link you to the relay and the hearing person doesn't have to bother with all that. I think having an app on a smartphone with T-Mobile relay might work. Or other apps that is available.

I'm also checking out this new app I just discovered that converts your text message into real time phone number you can type or use your voice and you can read what the other person is saying.
Nagish is the app name.

You still might be able to get more help from that site I mentioned above there is phone number to call and maybe you can explain your situation. 866.241.6568 (voice)

Sounds frustrating you think they would know about these things.

Another way is to have a register phone number that will automatically link you to the relay and the hearing person doesn't have to bother with all that. I think having an app on a smartphone with T-Mobile relay might work. Or other apps that is available.

I'm also checking out this new app I just discovered that converts your text message into real time phone number you can type or use your voice and you can read what the other person is saying.
Nagish is the app name.
I realize and appreciate that you are really trying to help.

But, once again I am talking about a LANDLINE!!! Do you remember what a LANDLINE!!!! is??? Please look at the link you gave earlier https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1207497/ that refers to wireless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And besides a landline does NOT USE AN APP. I have a regular voice phone connected via a cord to my TTY that is directly connected to a regular phone outlet.

The reason for wanting them to call my landline is that it is soooo handy to turn the printer on on my TTY (the CAs make great secretaries) rather than take notes by hand or switching back and forth from computer screen to TTY screen to use a wordprocessing program for notes.

When just wanting to have a conversation I have used InnoCaption on a cell phone for years. I have it set to where people do not have to keep track of different numbers to talk to me or send me a text as InnoCaption can be set to automatically forward to your InnoCaption number from your regular cell phone number.

Hope you have had a good start to the Labor Day holiday weekend.

Ah sorry yes I'm aware of landlines and my family and I use to have it. I had TTYs and remember the days of using it at the Deaf school.

We only have high speed internet as our phone now.

yes, it's nice to have things written down and printed instead of things in the air.
You too have a great weekend :)

I still have what evolved from a 4 digit line my folks got in the late 1940's. The town I live in went through just numbers given to an operator to having either an A or B with the number, installation of rotary dial phones, push button tone dialing and the latest is having to dial all 10 numbers even to make a local call.

When I was growing up we were one of the few that had a private line. That was because my dad sold new & used cars and people would call the house after the dealership was closed for the evening wanting to see cars when they were off work.

I was single sided deaf for many years after losing that side to an infection following measles at the age of 5. The other side remained very good into adulthood and the only thing I did to in a regular school was sit close to the teachers desk or the blackboard (that really was black) at the side of the room that one teacher used a lot. The good side did not decline to the point of using a hearing aid until I was in my 30's. It is now very profound but I DO NOT SIGN. I took a beginning community college class to different years but made NO contacts to actually use it and have since forgotten at least 90% of what I did learn.

Back