Gestures that can cause offence around the world

My dad did a lot of traveling as a young man and told me you had be careful with what kind of hand gestures you used in other country . The peace sign of the forehead reminded me of this .

Right!!!! I have to be very careful to use body language.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

do peace sign wrong way round you telling someone f' off

do peace sign wrong way round you telling someone f' off
No, what recently went viral is the "peace sign on the forehead" actually is the sign for "stupid, ignorant, etc" in ASL.....

No, what recently went viral is the "peace sign on the forehead" actually is the sign for "stupid, ignorant, etc" in ASL.....

and...."Oh, Really?"....:giggle:...think I'll teach a few hearing friends this sign...and laugh about it....

Well damn... I will have to tell an old friend of mine the pic I managed to take of her while she was signing the sign for stupid (I've forgotten why) back in 1998 that we were ahead of our time!

Just have to find it... hmm...

B/c I posted this thread I am now seeing an ad to learn how to swear in French ! UGH!

What about the middle finger?
What about it?

It's like any other gesture- in some countries it is offensive, in other countries it doesn't mean anything offensive and in still others it might not mean a damn thing. And no I don't think it was part of any sign language- from what I read a while ago it was around long before ASL at least.

Back