Germany arrests al-Qaeda suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Germany arrests al-Qaeda suspect

A German-Turkish citizen is being held in Germany on suspicion of preparing explosive devices and posting al-Qaeda propaganda on the internet, police say.

They said the 24-year-old, named only as Adnan V, was arrested on Thursday.

A small amount of explosives and a suspected detonator were also seized in two police raids in the Frankfurt area.

The suspect was not immediately linked to videos that emerged ahead of last Sunday's elections threatening al-Qaeda attacks within Germany.

Those videos, made by al-Qaeda's media production arm, warned of an impending attack within two weeks of the elections if German troops were not withdrawn from Afghanistan.

Germany has some 4,000 troops based in northern Afghanistan.

Some 35 have died and a recent poll showed 55% of Germans wanted a pullout.

The videos prompted heightened security measures in Germany's tourist spots, airports and main train stations.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Germany arrests al-Qaeda suspect

Congrats to Germany capturing one of the most dangerous terrorists. :)

I'm glad they caught him before he could do damage. I hope his arrest leads to even further arrests.

Why don't they publish his last name?

I'm glad they caught him before he could do damage. I hope his arrest leads to even further arrests.

Why don't they publish his last name?

Isn't it a law in Germany that last names cannot be released, in order to protect people that share the same surnames since a few unrelated and innocent people suffered repercussions from villagers for sharing the same last names as the ones that underwent the Numberg Trials?

Isn't it a law in Germany that last names cannot be released, in order to protect people that share the same surnames since a few unrelated and innocent people suffered repercussions from villagers for sharing the same last names as the ones that underwent the Numberg Trials?
But don't the citizens have the right to know what's happening?

You mean they haven't gotten over the Nuremberg trials yet?

I guess German law doesn't protect freedom of the press. :dunno:

"Freedom of press" is subjective though...

I can understand why they would suppress people's last names, but I am only speculating.

Might wanna check this out though...

Reporters Sans Frontières

Reporters Sans Frontières - United States
Reporters Sans Frontières - Germany

Pay no attention to the rankings, but how they explained why United States and Germany are not the most free in regard to how they handle the media. Think this site got a history that go back to 2002 since people were worried about how 9/11 changed the way people could do things world-wide.

Interestingly enough, it's not the first time the question of protecting people's privacy came up... if you scroll through the history.

Interesting about germany that the last names can not be released that bugs me!

:giggle: For a sec there, I thought it said Obama got arrested.

Like Reba, I'm glad they caught him.

Huh? What's Nuermberg Trails do with German Privacy law?

German privacy law was started many years later after Nuermberg Trails.

But don't the citizens have the right to know what's happening?

Of course, the German medias are free to spread out the information or whatever because we have the right to know that's why they don't censor the information.

You mean they haven't gotten over the Nuremberg trials yet?

I really have no idea why souggy bring it up.

I guess German law doesn't protect freedom of the press. :dunno:

Protect individual's last name has nothing do with freedom of press but respect their privacy. German do have freedom of press is uncensor that's how we know a lot. We do not need to know their last name

Interesting about germany that the last names can not be released that bugs me!

Personally, I am really glad that we have German privacy law here to protect people's last name. Its about respect and protect the family of a person who commit the crime.

I was guessing why precedent for suppressing people's last names came up. I know that in letters and entries by the occupying forces, that they had a hard time keeping German villagers from not lashing upon other people... merely because those unrelated victims happened to share the same last names as the trialled Nazi offenders.

Like say ___ Hasselhoff was found guilty of a war crime. People found out via newspaper, and thus punished other people who shared the Hasselhoff surname.

So, it would make sense why they do this and why it still continue today-- just because it was based on precedents.

Of course, the German medias are free to spread out the information or whatever because we have the right to know that's why they don't censor the information.
They do censor names.

Protect individual's last name has nothing do with freedom of press but respect their privacy. German do have freedom of press is uncensor that's how we know a lot. We do not need to know their last name
That means the people are not getting the whole story.

Is it German law, custom, or individual editorial decision to leave off the last names?

Personally, I am really glad that we have German privacy law here to protect people's last name. Its about respect and protect the family of a person who commit the crime.
But you criticize the American press for not revealing more information, compared to the European press. :confused:

Where is last name? I want to know about that so damn to German law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back