Gentamicin ototoxicity and ci's

paperclip

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a repeat question. I was told my hearing loss was caused by gentamicin ototoxicity as an infant. When I was about 6 or 7, my parents were told I wasn't a candidate for a CI and we never looked into it again. Now that I'm older, I'm starting the process to get formally evaluated. Does anyone know anyone that benefits from a CI if their hearing loss caused by gentamicin ototoxicity?

I think I'm afraid of dashed hopes at this point.

Thanks!

I do not know anything about Gentamicin itself, but it is known that otoxic drugs can and do cause hearing loss, so this is not a surprise to me. How it affects you in regards to getting a CI, this would be a question for the audiologist. You said you're looking into it. Please mention this to them so there are no surprises later. I've been deaf since birth, but not from otoxicity.

I apologize if this is a repeat question. I was told my hearing loss was caused by gentamicin ototoxicity as an infant. When I was about 6 or 7, my parents were told I wasn't a candidate for a CI and we never looked into it again. Now that I'm older, I'm starting the process to get formally evaluated. Does anyone know anyone that benefits from a CI if their hearing loss caused by gentamicin ototoxicity?

I think I'm afraid of dashed hopes at this point.

Thanks!
A lot has happened in twenty or so years. Talk to your ENT or audiologist.

Back