GEEZ! Here we go with this BS!

I have no intention to share this stupidity with anyone...and even if I did that would be my perogative...not yours..neway im stated my opinion whether you like it or not

that's fine. free speech, right?

my point is - this blog does not warrant any opinion. I have no need to say my piece because it's too obvious. This hateful article is not the first and certainly not the last one so why let him or other prick have the last laugh?

I agree that he is an idiot, and clearly knows nothing about deafness, the Deaf Community or cochlear implants. I also agree that getting mad does NO good. If you react, he'll feel vindicated and it wil just "prove hime right" (in his mind alone).

Wirelessly posted

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhaHaHaHaHahahahaha!!!!!!!

..... wow. :| His rant is pretty LOL. :P

Hehe,

He's such a dickhead, which probably meant he has a penis issue. Lol. Forgive my blue humour.

The problem is that these kinds of talks and rants are what's happening with more and more hearing people lately about their views on deaf people who choose not to get CIs and the pressure on parents to implant their children. My friend who is deaf who has two deaf children endured this kind of abuse for not implanting her children at the oral school they used to go at so she removed them from the program.

It's like reading an essay by a teenager who just ate some paint chips.

Awful English too.

I took a look at this guy's myspace site (source of the post) and think he is just not at all familiar with anything but the 'medical model' of deafness and has likely never seen any alternative articulated beyond the 'I'm Deaf and proud' and 'u don't know Deaf' comments in response to his post. He's seeing NOT getting a CI as inaction or child abuse, not as a thoughtful choice with many good reasons behind it. A very common mindset for people who aren't familiar with deaf culture.

Someone with a passion for evangelizing the alternatives to CIs could take this as a teaching moment and instead of mocking him, educate the guy on the benefits and opportunities of unaided deafness (and open up the eyes of his commenters, too). Attacking or mocking, though, is just going to make him further entrenched in the position he's taken.

Someone with a passion for evangelizing the alternatives to CIs could take this as a teaching moment and instead of mocking him, educate the guy on the benefits and opportunities of unaided deafness (and open up the eyes of his commenters, too). Attacking or mocking, though, is just going to make him further entrenched in the position he's taken.

Yep, you're right. But it's going to take a very compassionate person who wants to expend large quantities of patience and intelligence, because clearly this man isn't just ignorant; he is entrenched. Takes a lot to pull someone out of such a deep hole of misinformation and negativity. Is it worth it?

As for me, I'm with Jiro. I won't even waste my breath or energy on this person. In fact, I wouldn't even piss on him if he were on fire.

Having read the above thoughts: Interesting to structure our society into " hearing"/deaf: Oral/cultural".Really. Having become a "Oral deaf" person on December 20, 2006- immediately triggered the process for an Cochlear Implant which of course actually happened at Sunnybrook Hospital-here in Toronto. The operation took place in July and the Implant activated in Aug/07. No I don't feel I "betrayed the Cultural Deaf community". I was profound hearing impaired after losing all hearing in my right ear in Feb/92. Yeah I was at Canadian Hearing Society here in Toronto taking various Hearing Help course/Speechreading since-to Feb/07. Even read Journey into the Deaf World-Harlan Lane et al and don't consider it worthwhile. Believe it or not-I was next to the ASL class at CHS-a world apart.
No I don't consider I should dismantle my Implant and learn ASL. Ironically will be visiting Sunnybrook tomorrow- 3rd year anniversary- will pass around belonging to this site. Further irony-found out about this site from Google listing Beverley Biderman's book _Wired for Sound- a journey into Hearing. More strange things- actually met her at CHS and talked about her opinions on the Relay Service-TTY here in Ontario. Small world sometimes!

Advanced Bionics- Harmony Atria activated Aug/07.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

I lol'd, too. I don't give the hoot what that cry baby has to offer. :lol:

Who is the heck he wrote this?? :laugh2: He is the stupid!!!! He know nothing about Deaf culture. How old he is now?? I read the post said he is 20 years old?? He is immature!!!! That's rude of him called Deaf people are dumb! Are we all dumb?? NAH! Hearing people can be dumb too! :roll:

I know this guy is probably a kid but isnt anyone concerned that if it becomes widespread by society? More and more incidents of this kind of thing against deaf people are popping up.

I know this guy is probably a kid but isnt anyone concerned that if it becomes widespread by society? More and more incidents of this kind of thing are popping up.

I think the number of wackos remains the same, just the technology of how they express those views has changed. People having being saying the same garbage for thosands of years, but now it is on the internet so you can hear about (instead of them only being able to tell it to their families).

I think the number of wackos remains the same, just the technology of how they express those views has changed. People having being saying the same garbage for thosands of years, but now it is on the internet so you can hear about (instead of hem only being able to tell it to their families).

About a few years ago, one of my husband's co-worker told me that deaf people should improve themselves by getting a CI and continued to give me a hard time about it. This was a well-educated lady in her 50s.

Then a few years ago, my neighbor had a friend who was late deafened who got a CI and he was shocked that I wouldnt get one and went on and on about how it would improve my life and make me more normal.

Then, my friend endured these kinds of comments from the other parents and staff from the oral-only school her kids used to go to for deciding not to implant her children.

I just want to know what the heck is the medical community is feeding to society about CIs...that they will make deaf people function better and then give hearing people the wrong impression?

About a few years ago, one of my husband's co-worker told me that deaf people should improve themselves by getting a CI and continued to give me a hard time about it. This was a well-educated lady in her 50s.

Then a few years ago, my neighbor had a friend who was late deafened who got a CI and he was shocked that I wouldnt get one and went on and on about how it would improve my life and make me more normal.

Then, my friend endured these kinds of comments from the other parents and staff from the oral-only school her kids used to go to for deciding not to implant her children.

I just want to know what the heck is the medical community is feeding to society about CIs...that they will make deaf people function better and then give hearing people the wrong impression?

I think that most people don't understand the issues that go into CI and ASL and overall deafness. They are actually trying to help.

BUT, regarding the bolded part.....I'm not sure those professionals are wrong. If you are choosing an oral path for your child, they need to be able to access spoken language through listening. If hearing aids do not provide that, the school would be irresponsible to continue that path. I think they would be right to say that the child needs a CI or they should choose a different language path and school.

Back