Gallaudet: Losing deaf culture???

Interesting...those who are of "hearing" minded are complaining about Gallaudet being too Deaf culture for them. Well, isnt that what Gallaudet was founded on?

I dont have a problem with accepting people who arent fluent with ASL as long as they respect Deaf culture and become fluent in ASL. Otherwise, why go to Gallaudet? That was why I chose to go to Gallaudet to get my Master's Degree instead of University of Arizona or Oregon State University because I wanted to become more fluent in ASL and understand Deaf culture better. I got what I wanted. Yes, I had a rough first semester from those who who deemed me as not being "Deaf" enough but I wasnt going to let that stop me and I proved them wrong.

Is it possible that the "deaf militants" are "upset" at Gallaudet's actions which "may have effected" due to decrease in "students"?
A Historical note: Chapter 3-Oliver Sacks "Seeing Voices"- how time "marches on".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Interesting...those who are of "hearing" minded are complaining about Gallaudet being too Deaf culture for them. Well, isnt that what Gallaudet was founded on?

I dont have a problem with accepting people who arent fluent with ASL as long as they respect Deaf culture and become fluent in ASL. Otherwise, why go to Gallaudet? That was why I chose to go to Gallaudet to get my Master's Degree instead of University of Arizona or Oregon State University because I wanted to become more fluent in ASL and understand Deaf culture better. I got what I wanted. Yes, I had a rough first semester from those who who deemed me as not being "Deaf" enough but I wasnt going to let that stop me and I proved them wrong.

It all comes from the top. The Gallaudet film - link provided - was actually "too Deaf" for Gallaudet. WTF.

youtube.com/gallaudetfilm

It all comes from the top. The Gallaudet film - link provided - was actually "too Deaf" for Gallaudet. WTF.

youtube.com/gallaudetfilm

Too deaf? nah! youtube looks good to me. I do not understand why they go to gallaudet if they think its too deaf for them when they know it is for deaf people. eh.

Amen to that article.

“We want a signing environment, because how often do deaf students get that environment?” said Dylan Hinks, 20, student body president. “This is the place where I want to have comfort and ease in my communication.”

What does Gallaudet do about the hazing problem. And, yes, there's a big hazing problem.

DeafCaroline :I own the book and have read the chapter-have you? That is how I know what Oliver Sacks wrote. Pages 125 to 159.

DeafCaroline :I own the book and have read the chapter-have you? That is how I know what Oliver Sacks wrote. Pages 125 to 159.

Doesnt matter. We're talking about the article posted int he OP

Slow news day perhaps? I do think it's fucked up that deaf kids aren't learning ASL until university.....BUT in the old days there were kids who showed up at Gally not knowing any sign....HELLO, remmy all the grads of Clarke, CID. Tucker Maxon etc? A lot of them ended up at Gally or NTID.
Also, res school attendance has been kind of rare for the past twenty years....I don't think res schools have been a huge feeder (for Gally) since about the mid 70's. It's just that Gally's demographics are looking more like NTID....

I'm talking about the article that the OP posted the link to. That's what this thread is about.

What does Gallaudet do about the hazing problem. And, yes, there's a big hazing problem.

Wait a minute! What JKF said about the upperclassmen hazing non-signing students in the article was COMPLETELY UNTRUE! I never heard of this kind of incident when I was at Gally. Also I checked in with several friends who graduated there in the past and recently, and they told me that they never heard of it before. we figured out that she made them up. How unfortunate.

JKF just went out to re-open old wounds with them cuz she was so bitter over her much-deserved oust.

Is it possible that the "deaf militants" are "upset" at Gallaudet's actions which "may have effected" due to decrease in "students"?

:wtf:

You absolutely had no idea on what it looked like at Gally so do not make any wrong assumption toward Gally. If you do not know what you are talking about, then you are not supposed to be here.

As matter of facts, there have had not too many Deaf militants at Gally for a very long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to gally, I never experienced or heard of this kind of hazing...

I have never been a student at Gallaudet- no comment except for Oliver Sacks article a few years ago. I mentioned his article -apparent change from today-so it seems!

I know of 4 people who left G because of hazing....hazing is common in many universities...

My brother was involved with one of the fraternities...I was there when there was supposedly "hazing" ..what I saw was nothing compared to the hazing that went on at Arizona State University. However, that was back in 2000 to 2001. Maybe it is a problem now?

I know that ASU did have a problem with hazing but not sure about now.

Please don't be bother on member because you seems play games your images, appropriate your behavior your posts becuase they don't like pretend on images your personal, idea serious! I warned you on be careful don't be bugging or something play story mixing up on story! be careful your reading! don't be attention because if you stubborn ignored to people next time :ty:

OP thread

Back