Gallaudet Graduate Student - Cochlear Implant Controversy Presentation

Well, what if I don't want to be hearing person?

It seems you keep telling how I should apart this world, or how I should learn to speak and listen because I "have to" use my ears, so our society can be 'happy and dance'...

Meh.

It seems you keep telling how I should apart this world, or how I should learn to speak and listen because I "have to" use my ears, so our society can be 'happy and dance'...

Meh.

No, no one is saying that at all. You can't hear and can't be expected to function as if you can. You are expected to make use of every available accommodation. Just because some asshole thought the best approach was to slap your hands and make you learn to speak where it was asking too much of you doesn't mean that is what is expected of you by everyone else who suggests you need to deal with the hearing world as it is.

Meh.

Bingo!!!! Exactly right there. :cool2:

Then what's up with insisting on how d/Deaf people should adapt in this earth?

Adapt this, adapt that, and so on. Okay...

Then what's up with insisting on how d/Deaf people should adapt in this earth?

Adapt this, adapt that, and so on. Okay...

For the late deafened people, they have to adapt to their hearing loss but for us, d/Deafies, we were forced to be in the mainstream schools where there were almost no accommodations for us to deal with our deafness. The authorities always forced us to be like them as best as possible and they expected us to be lipreaders which was impossible.

Also that is a puzzle why we have to make adaption on change because of CI and getting the device to be miracle for us on account of "listening". That is what the hearing people expect us to be like them.

There has been no change even if a hearing loss person has new device(s). :(

Meh.

No, no one is saying that at all. You can't hear and can't be expected to function as if you can. You are expected to make use of every available accommodation. Just because some asshole thought the best approach was to slap your hands and make you learn to speak where it was asking too much of you doesn't mean that is what is expected of you by everyone else who suggests you need to deal with the hearing world as it is.
Exactly!!

You're deaf, you can't be expected to hear, and certainly didn't mean that you should try. We have accommodations, thank god!!

I'm talking about the idea that society "makes" it a disability. Actually they have done quite a lot to make our lives easier. I'm talking about expecting society to adapt and change to where not hearing isn't an issue for us ever, we could talk at any time to any body, do any job, it's just not realistic. They can hear, I can't even wrap my head around how hard it would be, and how inconveniencing it would be to the rest of society to change that much.

Just an example. Customer service, there are relay services that could theoretically be available for a deaf person to take calls and be a customer service rep. But why would you want to put people through that? A 5 minute phone call would take 30 minutes. It's bad enough when we have to use, but expect customers having to use it when they need to take care if something? Not to mention how much less productive that would be. Your hearing counterparts could take sooooooo many more calls than you.

There's just a certain degree of selfishness there in thinking that's okay. And a lack of empathy. Would it be lovely if hearing was never an issue ever? Oh sure but that's Lala land, fantasy.

For the late deafened people, they have to adapt to their hearing loss but for us, d/Deafies, we were forced to be in the mainstream schools where there were almost no accommodations for us to deal with our deafness. The authorities always forced us to be like them as best as possible and they expected us to be lipreaders which was impossible.

Also that is a puzzle why we have to make adaption on change because of CI and getting the device to be miracle for us on account of "listening". That is what the hearing people expect us to be like them.

There has been no change even if a hearing loss person has new device(s). :(

Yeah, currently, a few young Deaf teens had a similar situation like that... PrincessBetty1 had it as well. But, I suppose that they're "failures", so none of those are matter. =/

EDIT: Be fair, we have to face paternalism, audism, cultural oppression, phonocentrism, and general ignorance for daily. Blah.

Not being a "deaf teen" not sure what" Phonocentrism" entails?
Does Google know?

Also, how can one be "forced" to "hear" if one is Deaf-hears nothing/silence?

Also, unsure who the "authorities" that "forced "me to consider a Cochlear Implant way back in 2007 at Sunnybrook/Toronto?
I made the appointments

aside: the actual fact that 2 out 3 persons since 1984 were deemed "unsuitable for Cochlear Implant"-various reasons does seem the controvert the supposition-everyone is suitable! Sunnybrook/Cochlear Implant section/Toronto

aside: still trying to figure how anyone who "can't hear"-"Deaf" without using ASL et al- can complete school grades? Easy to test-disconnect one's Cochlear Implant- real quiet!

Presumably-facts are irrelevant.

Exactly!!

You're deaf, you can't be expected to hear, and certainly didn't mean that you should try. We have accommodations, thank god!!

I'm talking about the idea that society "makes" it a disability. Actually they have done quite a lot to make our lives easier. I'm talking about expecting society to adapt and change to where not hearing isn't an issue for us ever, we could talk at any time to any body, do any job, it's just not realistic. They can hear, I can't even wrap my head around how hard it would be, and how inconveniencing it would be to the rest of society to change that much.

Just an example. Customer service, there are relay services that could theoretically be available for a deaf person to take calls and be a customer service rep. But why would you want to put people through that? A 5 minute phone call would take 30 minutes. It's bad enough when we have to use, but expect customers having to use it when they need to take care if something? Not to mention how much less productive that would be. Your hearing counterparts could take sooooooo many more calls than you.

There's just a certain degree of selfishness there in thinking that's okay. And a lack of empathy. Would it be lovely if hearing was never an issue ever? Oh sure but that's Lala land, fantasy.

It is quite fascinating to see how things have changed over the last 30 years regarding accessibility and even more so over the last ten years with the help of technology and services.

Just an example. Customer service, there are relay services that could theoretically be available for a deaf person to take calls and be a customer service rep. But why would you want to put people through that? A 5 minute phone call would take 30 minutes. It's bad enough when we have to use, but expect customers having to use it when they need to take care if something? Not to mention how much less productive that would be.
it's much more bad enough when hearing people have to deal with foreign customer reps. and many corporations have switched to emails. much more effective and cost-effective that way and less prone to errors.

amazon does this. so do bunch of American small businesses I've dealt with.

Your hearing counterparts could take sooooooo many more calls than you.
quantity over quality? sounds pretty dang bad!

Majority of those "Repubs" voted for the ADA. in fact, Pres. George H. Bush signed the ADA into law. A little history helps to get the facts straight. Most people are increasingly supportive of the ADA nowadays.
They HAD to, otherwise their asses would be kicked by millions of disabled people.

Does Google know?

Also, unsure who the "authorities" that "forced "me to consider a Cochlear Implant way back in 2007 at Sunnybrook/Toronto?
I made the appointments

aside: the actual fact that 2 out 3 persons since 1984 were deemed "unsuitable for Cochlear Implant"-various reasons does seem the controvert the supposition-everyone is suitable! Sunnybrook/Cochlear Implant section/Toronto

aside: still trying to figure how anyone who "can't hear"-"Deaf" without using ASL et al- can complete school grades? Easy to test-disconnect one's Cochlear Implant- real quiet!

you don't understand to clear. , you mind thoery...
I told you many times.. :aw:

I see. you are experience knew! :)

Does Google know?

You had missed them in late 2000's and early 2010's. But, it's not matter.

As for phonocentrism, it means "the belief that sounds and speech are inherently superior to, or more primary than, written (and gestural) language(s)."

I made the appointments

I never had mentioned cochlear implants...

Is this thread about Cochlear Implants?

Not sure exactly what the supposition- re: post #114 "you mind theory" delineates?

aside: I am bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006-still today. I also knew since Febuary 19 1992-DEAF in right ear that I would eventually be bilateral. Right almost 15 years.

Again: the OP should find the entire thread of "interest" on the varied opinions re Cochlear Implants.

It is our right not to get discriminated for not having a CI and use ASL but unfortunately the medical community has continue to portray the belief that deaf people who do not function like hearing people are a drain on society.

The medical community promotes the ideology that deafness is a disability-- not a drain on society. Deaf people work just as hard as hearing people (if not harder) and contribute back to society.

I have seen many hearing people milk free money off the government. Those people are a drain on society.

Horribles on sound discrimmiation nothing wrong. we numberous sick of tried to see crappy to politic and dramma silly I reading to comments

why discrimmation to cochlear implant?

no excuse. you know pretty hurt to feeling ruin otherwise. ashamed.

we don't care politic and no matter no control to talk talk to your votes. it no choice to your talk points. it is very serious wastes of times your times all times. It is worst days. It is no lucky for you wish be continue theory!

Last edited:
Back