Gallaudet Graduate Student - Cochlear Implant Controversy Presentation

there is no link, its in textbooks and in the university...hell i don't even remember what book it was...i've read like 300 books this year...please don't let me go back there...i want a break!

not really. It is well known that language is easiest learned in early, developmental years. As you get older how you learn things changes. It is much harder to learn language as an adult, or even a young adult than as a very young child. You don't need a grain of salt to believe that. Bebonang....the cochlea isn't a part of your brain, it's a part of your ear. Your audiogram doesn't even matter as far as a CI goes because it bypasses the hearing mechanisms in the ear.

You really should find out more about CI before you go blasting it. Your opinions are extremely uniformed ones. This is my first post in here directed toward you, so I just started harassing you. I still peeved about you saying kids with CI look like Frankenstein. :pissed: and the smiley you like to use :nono:

And one more thing, it wouldn't be so galling if you spike for yourself, but you rarely do that. You're forever talking about the deaf this the hearing that. No you don't get to lump all the deaf into YOUR experience, AND stop lumping ALL hearing people into a box that YOU feel they go in.

was it me? when did i say that? but yer it does look awful...
i do know plenty about cochlear implant, i do know the difference between being and acting deaf or hearing, and it's merging - thanks to assimilation of the cyborg kind... whatever... I'm sadden to see the CI is actually a symbol of the demise of Deaf culture...indeed...hearing thru that is NOT natural, everyone knows that, and its NOT in the interest of deaf people, it is in the interest of convenience for hearing people...pretty mean really

i grew up in the hearing family, hearing school, etc so I CAN say what's hearing people are like...

i do know plenty about cochlear implant, i do know the difference between being and acting deaf or hearing, and it's merging - thanks to assimilation of the cyborg kind... whatever... I'm sadden to see the CI is actually a symbol of the demise of Deaf culture...indeed...hearing thru that is NOT natural, everyone knows that, and its NOT in the interest of deaf people, it is in the interest of convenience for hearing people...pretty mean really

i grew up in the hearing family, hearing school, etc so I CAN say what's hearing people are like...

Not in the interest of deaf people?? Says who? You alone or anybody else do not represent all deaf and hh people. THere are many deaf and hh people who benefitted from hearing technology and are in the interest of many, not all, but many deaf and hh people whether it is ci, hearing aids, implantable hearing device, and even bone conduction ha. Be careful how you step up on that podium proclaiming what is best for deaf people.

Grummer,those with the CI aren't HEARING.....They hear yes....but if a hearing person heard what a deaf from early childhood person hears with CI or hearing aids, they'd be all "WHAT?!?!?"I'm ALSO sick of the assumption that Deaf culture has never experianced something like the CI before....It HAS.....the hearing aid. Back when aids were introduced Deaf adults were against them.....kids who are raised orally whether CI or HA experiance the same thing....A device cannot make a dhh kid hearing..........Even those who use devices STILL depend heavily on *gasp* SIGHT.....not hearing....(or at least the way a hearing person thinks of hearing)
There was a Johns Hopkins study that said that 95% of implantees used traidtional dhh accomondations .......Doesn't sound hearing to me.
Know what I LOVE? In one breath oral kids RAVE about CIs,and then in their next breath complain b/c they don't get CART,whereas if they knew ASL they'd get a 'terp JUST LIKE THAT! Why not just raise the kid with ASL so they can take advantage of a terp if they want?

there is no link, its in textbooks and in the university...hell i don't even remember what book it was...i've read like 300 books this year...please don't let me go back there...i want a break!

What you said is not matter. It's just easy for them to phuck "failures" up and buried them under the rug, so they can focus on "prefect" deaf & hoh kids...

Last edited:

No I wasn't talking to you or about you, I should have separated that into 2 paragraphs, or quoted benonang as well, I was talking to her, she said that, and has no idea how a CI works.

I respect opinions, but when they are so woefully uniformed they become not opinions at all, just speculative rubbish. But the Frankenstein bit, that's just awful, callous callous callous.

But we've been around the merry go round with this before. You're not hearing, you just think you know what they think, it's just your interpretation or understanding of what they think and feel about thing. And guess what, every person is different, so it's ridiculous to think that hearing people think any ONE thing. We've also been in the merry go round of who benefits, and I disagreed there as well. People and situations are too varied to make statements like. In MY situation it benefits me more than the people around me.

OP attack personal opinions viewpoints and bash comments

we not accept to zero tolerance.

it is enough

waste of times your posts I cannot things. I review your comments. it is crazy drive to comments you have worst it. it is seems serious. it is very some is serious. seems on problem on really terribles you CI obssessive your worst!

Please proper to your comments.

Should be cool break lock up thread.

Good luck for you best!

OP attack personal opinions viewpoints and bash comments

we not accept to zero tolerance.

it is enough

waste of times your posts I cannot things. I review your comments. it is crazy drive to comments you have worst it. it is seems serious. it is very some is serious. seems on problem on really terribles you CI obssessive your worst!

Please proper to your comments.

Should be cool break lock up thread.

Good luck for you best!

cannot things?? what things?? you do not make sense

No I wasn't talking to you or about you, I should have separated that into 2 paragraphs, or quoted benonang as well, I was talking to her, she said that, and has no idea how a CI works.

I respect opinions, but when they are so woefully uniformed they become not opinions at all, just speculative rubbish. But the Frankenstein bit, that's just awful, callous callous callous.

But we've been around the merry go round with this before. You're not hearing, you just think you know what they think, it's just your interpretation or understanding of what they think and feel about thing. And guess what, every person is different, so it's ridiculous to think that hearing people think any ONE thing. We've also been in the merry go round of who benefits, and I disagreed there as well. People and situations are too varied to make statements like. In MY situation it benefits me more than the people around me.

it is more about how tiring is it to believe what hearing people have said to me, BELIEVED them for the for first twenty years of my life, and now, that's quite a long time... it just a myth which i got tired of, and seeing from another side of the fence that I DID not considered relevant until life after formal school ceased that's when I saw the ideas I was bought up to believe didn't add up, it didn't help at all, and, it's a lot like I'm trying to help the hearings to understand the social implications of Being d/Deaf but there are many of those whose continue to believe and even are willing to defend that belief...or variations of guises of it...

I don't recall from being here in AllDeaf.com such thoughts expressed.

To the best of my knowledge-"society is NOT a person". It is not so classified in Sociology textbooks.

Society is people.

To each their own. If you want a CI, go for it! If you don't want a CI, that's your choice. I personally can appreciate the advantages in the working environment mine has given me, however prefer leaving it out other than that. I can see both sides of the story with them. Some liking them and some hating them. However, I realize we're all individuals and all have different preferences and choices when it comes to CI implants. I don't think a CI defines a Deaf / HoH person in any way. You're always going to have people hardcore against it, or hardcore for it and as I said, to each their own. If you have one and like it... GREAT! :D If you don't want one, that's great too. :) This is a topic that can always seem to make Deafies roar up and become super defensive no matter what side they chose. Again, to each their own, we're all able to make our decisions off of what we do or don't know... that's our right. :P

It is our right not to get discriminated for not having a CI and use ASL but unfortunately the medical community has continue to portray the belief that deaf people who do not function like hearing people are a drain on society.
That quote, "Freedom through listening and speaking" promoted by the AGBell organization is one example. We can speak and listen with our eyes but because of that quote among many others, hearing and having speech skills is the way to go to be successful on this planet. Potential employers internalize those beliefs and use discriminating practices on thousands of deaf and hoh people. Like I said...society is disabling and it doesn't have to be that way. No thanks to the medical community.

The last line of post #45 says different. Soceity as such doesn't exist independent of people. It appears to be a "conceptalization/construction of one's mind"

Consider- all persons "disappeared" would "society" continue to exist?

aside: hasn't actualized to date-future?

Enough sociology for the moment.

The last line of post #45 says different. Soceity as such doesn't exist independent of people. It appears to be a "conceptalization/construction of one's mind"

Consider- all persons "disappeared" would "society" continue to exist?

aside: hasn't actualized to date-future?

Enough sociology for the moment.

For this question...all persons "disappeared" would "society" continue to exist, yes - society ls like corporation is 'exist' as an entity that rapes the human race in name of monetary profit
but everything else you said is erroneous...its not 'conceptulisation in one's 'miind', it is more a question of POWER, those social structure operates, and who controls it, THAT is what Sociology attempts to explain

It is our right not to get discriminated for not having a CI and use ASL but unfortunately the medical community has continue to portray the belief that deaf people who do not function like hearing people are a drain on society.
That quote, "Freedom through listening and speaking" promoted by the AGBell organization is one example. We can speak and listen with our eyes but because of that quote among many others, hearing and having speech skills is the way to go to be successful on this planet. Potential employers internalize those beliefs and use discriminating practices on thousands of deaf and hoh people. Like I said...society is disabling and it doesn't have to be that way. No thanks to the medical community.

Yes it does. Toddlers think the world revolves around them, you cannot expect the vast majority of the world to change for what is relatively a small handle of people. You have to adapt, not the other way around. They don't disable you, you have a disability. Is it fair that you were born like this? No, but life is never fair. But expecting an entire world to change to mean your needs is the height of childishness.

Yes it does. Toddlers think the world revolves around them, you cannot expect the vast majority of the world to change for what is relatively a small handle of people. You have to adapt, not the other way around. They don't disable you, you have a disability. Is it fair that you were born like this? No, but life is never fair. But expecting an entire world to change to mean your needs is the height of childishness.

Were you one of those Republicans that argued against the ADA? When the ADA was being debated Repubs expressed "oh they should just adapt"

Were you one of those Republicans that argued against the ADA? When the ADA was being debated Repubs expressed "oh they should just adapt"

I'm not even republican darling and I'm only 38, I was 15 when that law passed, and hearing, are you mental? I probably had no idea it was even going on.

But you want to know what the stupidest thing is about even asking me that, in reference to what I said. I realize, and accept, that it's a disability. Shel, and others deny that it's a disability. Claim that's it's only a disability because society makes it one. Why don't they make the world so hearing doesn't matter??? That is so infantile I can't even.....just stahp.

Worse some want their cake and to eat it too. The ADA is very important, because it IS a disability, you need interpreters, closed captioning VR, accommodations for schooling, etc etc etc because without them you couldn't communicate with the rest of the world. The fact that accommodations are even needed illustrates it as a disability, defines it. Then you have people demanding these accommodations on one hand and then demanding that deafness not be thought if as a disability on the other. Society did not make anyone deaf. Congratulations you won the medical crap lottery okay, we are accommodated. Expecting the world to change to such a degree that hearing isn't needed for anything, or for the entire world to learn sign language, for you, is infantile. They have compromised, we have all these accommodations to help us. We have to do some compromising to, yes we have to adapt to the rest of the world. We all need to put on our big girl panties and deal with our reality not stamp our feet and demand and expect everyone else in the world make our lives easier.

Back