Gallaudet Graduate Student - Cochlear Implant Controversy Presentation

An interesting question to OP_John/SpitfireMK%' did the multiiple comments assist you in your "paper" at Gallaudet?

You have varied responses-to say the least.

I read this is whole thread. It sound like controversy in between deaf oral and Deaf ASL over Cochlear implants.

I have feel mixes in situation. I was aware of CI controversy since 1995. The most of Deaf community and families are work for Deaf Schools. The Deaf teachers were brainwashes on Deaf students to be against Cochlear implants in Babies.

I'm experienced in both Hearing and Deaf world on my POV. I understand that was so frustrated to Deaf people can't speak and lack of speech and use ASL. The born Deaf babies hearing aids doesn't have function for Deaf with hearing aids because it is limited sound and few words for an example, you can hear people's yell, dog barking, music and not many words like the world noise, do not have grammars in hearing aids. For a hoh people can hear with hearing aids and understand the speech, lipreading, enjoy listen the music. The profound deaf is very stone deaf and lack of speech because never wear hearing aids and not have CI.

I had met several Deaf oral in both adults and children with CIs. The children received their CI so early and can speak through AVT, LSL aka learning speaking language without sign languages and can social with hearing society like doctors, nurses, welfare, SS office, clerk, cashiers for communication without write a pen& paper, type note on iPhone, any smartphones, iPad note, reply on ASL interpreters. It is different between Deaf Society & hearing society. I can see that Deaf Orals people are skill at English languages more than ASL because ASL is not an English and use sign languages because of early implantion.

I've met a Deaf children with CIs in my hometown. They can speak through oral communicate with hearing friends and know sign languages for Deaf friends. I felt so confusion in between Deaf Oral CI & Deaf Oral-signing CI. It's bigger different from 20 century after babies boomers received CI early. I came across to varieties of DeaFRead, CIonline and AVParent blog and watched ASL VLOG on youtube.

You know 3 of different chapters in AGBell, Hands & Voices, Deaf Bilinguals Coalition are in challenge with standardize and educations. A several parents of CI children criticized of Deaf community and Deaf school are poor in education and English because not wear hearing aids and CI. I understand that however Deaf community are concern about get Deaf culture shrink in the future like no more Sign languages. I think it's wrong to say no more sign languages to harm to Deaf community.

I do not want to be argue this thread in between Deaf Oral and Deaf ASL. It's embarrassing. I have to respect people's personal choice of communication method option without discriminations. I know it's hard. Oh Well.

Last edited:
Back