Gallaudet Graduate Student - Cochlear Implant Controversy Presentation

The Medical Community had tried to make us suffered thinking that hearing aids and now CIs would help the Deaf hear sounds or for a lack of a better word 'Listening" which we have a hard time trying to make out. I hate oral method and still would like going to Deaf Schools where there were sign language like ASL so that we can express freedom to be able to sign with teachers and students. In the hearing world, it was not that easy trying to understand without an interpreters especially at the workplace.

Hi! I have read many mixed reviews about CIs and HAs, and I understand how frustrating it must all be. The actual integration of CN VIII (vestibulocochlear) is something we don't fully understand yet. Modern CIs reproduce the signal that hearing people perceive as sound, but what happens with deaf adults is that the signals are not perceived the same way. This is why cochlear implants are best done early in childhood; the adaptive capability of the human brain significantly changes from infancy to adulthood. We don't really understand why this happens. The lab I work at aims to understand more about biological machine learning.

As for CI, it is just surgery that you can put CI in the Cochlear area of the brain. The only difference is that each d/Deaf person are different on how they can hear sounds along with their audiograph of how much they can hear and if CI would work for this person or not. As for babies, how would you know if the baby can hear the sound with CI or later find that the CI did not work. Why do they have to suffer? Can the baby wait until he or she grows older enough to know what CI is for and whether he or she be able to hear with CI. That is what troubled us very much on this. Why do we have to suffered for this over the many years having hearing people tell us what to do and refused to let us sign our first language of ASL? They don't bother to listen to our needs. That is all I have to say. :(

I'm sorry this happened to you. If it were it up to me, I would ensure that ASL facilities are provided. You are right--there is no guarantee that a CI would work. It would be great to let the baby grow older and decide for him/herself, but the brain's adaptive capability changes with age for some reason we don't understand yet.

I'm currently a college student going into medicine, so I am not a doctor yet, but I work with doctors on a day to day basis. The people I work with are truly compassionate, so I'm sorry that your experience with hearing people in the medical community was terrible. The doctors I know promote ASL--it's such a beautiful and vivid language!

I don't recall from being here in AllDeaf.com such thoughts expressed.

To the best of my knowledge-"society is NOT a person". It is not so classified in Sociology textbooks.

are you a sociologist or pretending to be one

Neither!

I have studied Sociology-introduction- a long time ago.

Culture as such is part of Sociology- where else does it belong?

id take that with a grain of salt...

not really. It is well known that language is easiest learned in early, developmental years. As you get older how you learn things changes. It is much harder to learn language as an adult, or even a young adult than as a very young child. You don't need a grain of salt to believe that. Bebonang....the cochlea isn't a part of your brain, it's a part of your ear. Your audiogram doesn't even matter as far as a CI goes because it bypasses the hearing mechanisms in the ear.

You really should find out more about CI before you go blasting it. Your opinions are extremely uniformed ones. This is my first post in here directed toward you, so I just started harassing you. I still peeved about you saying kids with CI look like Frankenstein. :pissed: and the smiley you like to use :nono:

And one more thing, it wouldn't be so galling if you spike for yourself, but you rarely do that. You're forever talking about the deaf this the hearing that. No you don't get to lump all the deaf into YOUR experience, AND stop lumping ALL hearing people into a box that YOU feel they go in.

From the dictionary- the scientific study of mankind,specially of human origins, developments,customs. beliefs.

How does a discussion of "deaf culture" fit the above?I have not taken the course in anthropology=no desire

Last edited:
Perhaps: one can view the subject matter-sociology as being relatively current while anthropology as being "historical".

Does one want to know how "deaf persons" interacted in society say 500 years ago vs how today? I don't think one can "change the past" however possible to "alter somewhat" today.

To the above comment#69_ if one "asserts" deafnes is "cultural" then one can "discuss" within a sociological context.
If not-why assert-"cultural" VS a "physical condition" of person?

.Valid? -

Last edited:
not really. It is well known that language is easiest learned in early, developmental years. As you get older how you learn things changes. It is much harder to learn language as an adult, or even a young adult than as a very young child. You don't need a grain of salt to believe that. Bebonang....the cochlea isn't a part of your brain, it's a part of your ear. Your audiogram doesn't even matter as far as a CI goes because it bypasses the hearing mechanisms in the ear.

You really should find out more about CI before you go blasting it. Your opinions are extremely uniformed ones. This is my first post in here directed toward you, so I just started harassing you. I still peeved about you saying kids with CI look like Frankenstein. :pissed: and the smiley you like to use :nono:

And one more thing, it wouldn't be so galling if you spike for yourself, but you rarely do that. You're forever talking about the deaf this the hearing that. No you don't get to lump all the deaf into YOUR experience, AND stop lumping ALL hearing people into a box that YOU feel they go in.

Funny you should say that because there are people who purposely sign "cochlear implant" using the index and 2nd finger curved and place them on the neck slightly behind the ear and below (which closely resembles one of the sign for "Frankenstein" with one of the bolt sticking out of the neck). The correct sign for CI is to use those two same curved fingers, place them slightly above (or around) the ear and on the skull area (and not on the neck!). Many do purposely sign "cochlear implant" on the neck because of their bias against cochlear implant. One can effectively make an argument for or against cochlear implant while signing correctly the sign for "cochlear implant." Because of their bias people would sign it in an unprofessional manner.

Hi John OP. I guess you have some the varied opinions re: Cochlear Implant to give your "speech".

If you do not believe me, perhaps you will believe these peer-reviewed, published papers and experiments. See this, this, this, this, this, et al. Differential perception of the same signal may be due to the fact that cognitive learning changes with age.

i do have access to Lots of peer reviews as well, but of a completely different angle...more critical...so um...im not going to divulge it all here, because there's a risk of thing going haywire crazy here with conformists to which its a waste of time banging it on in here...

..and... I loathe psychology, and its narrow range of societal conceptualization...its too dogmatic

As such I don't have to" prove" anything re: varied opinions of the utility of using a Cochlear Implant. Just read the comments.

From the dictionary- "psychology" deals the "study of the mind-as deduced from behaviour and how it works" It deals with individual persons while sociology deal with large group of persons in their varied environments-family, neighbours and now even computer screens.

From the dictionary=."dogma" doctrine put forward by some authority, especially the Church to be accepted as true without question. "Dogmatic" statements in very firm authoritative way.

As such I don't have to" prove" anything re: varied opinions of the utility of using a Cochlear Implant. Just read the comments.

From the dictionary- "psychology" deals the "study of the mind-as deduced from behaviour and how it works" It deals with individual persons while sociology deal with large group of persons in their varied environments-family, neighbours and now even computer screens.

From the dictionary=."dogma" doctrine put forward by some authority, especially the Church to be accepted as true without question. "Dogmatic" statements in very firm authoritative way.

0.o sound look likes mind reading game! it is complication! it is serious!

Leave it to professionals, STOP being an armchair theorist. its pointless

Are there a lots of pseudo" armchair theorists" here into "mind reading games"?

Another intermural exercise in Sociology-intro/deaf culture

aside: I have never claimed to be a professional in any comment here in AllDeaf.com.

Last edited:
well,, 80% of deaf children are now implanted,
1/3 is 'successful'
1/3 is struggling in blind faith with misinformed teachers and parents (thanks to the lying, misinformed doctors and implant teams)
the remaining 1/3 is stuck in 'special classes' and not documented - to cover up

it is alarming

Link please..

Back