Ga. Law Could Give Death Penalty for Miscarriages

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
Ga. Law Could Give Death Penalty for Miscarriages | Mother Jones

Ga. Law Could Give Death Penalty for Miscarriages

By Jen Phillips on Wed. February 23, 2011 4:32 AM PDT

It's only February, but this year has been a tough one for women's health and reproductive rights. There's a new bill on the block that may have reached the apex (I hope) of woman-hating craziness. Georgia State Rep. Bobby Franklin—who last year proposed making rape and domestic violence "victims" into "accusers"—has introduced a 10-page bill that would criminalize miscarriages and make abortion in Georgia completely illegal. Both miscarriages and abortions would be potentially punishable by death: any "prenatal murder" in the words of the bill, including "human involvement" in a miscarriage, would be a felony and carry a penalty of life in prison or death. Basically, it's everything an "pro-life" activist could want aside from making all women who've had abortions wear big red "A"s on their chests.

I doubt that a bill that makes a legal medical procedure liable for the death penalty will pass. The bill, however, shows an astonishing lack of concern for women's health and well-being. Under Rep. Franklin's bill, HB 1, women who miscarry could become felons if they cannot prove that there was "no human involvement whatsoever in the causation" of their miscarriage. There is no clarification of what "human involvement" means, and this is hugely problematic as medical doctors do not know exactly what causes miscarriages. Miscarriages are estimated to terminate up to a quarter of all pregnancies and the Mayo Clinic says that "the actual number is probably much higher because many miscarriages occur so early in pregnancy that a woman doesn't even know she's pregnant. Most miscarriages occur because the fetus isn't developing normally."

Holding women criminally liable for a totally natural, common biological process is cruel and non-sensical. Even more ridiculous, the bill holds women responsible for protecting their fetuses from "the moment of conception," despite the fact that pregnancy tests aren't accurate until at least 3 weeks after conception. Unless Franklin (who is not a health professional) invents a revolutionary intrauterine conception alarm system, it's unclear how exactly the state of Georgia would enforce that rule other than holding all possibly-pregnant women under lock and key.

I've seen a lot of anti-woman, hate-filled bills this year, but this one takes the cake. And it's not just anti-woman, it's anti-logic. The bill contends that Georgia is exempt from upholding Supreme Court decisions like Roe v. Wade because the Constitution's Article I only governs five crimes: counterfeiting, piracy, high seas felonies, offenses against the law of nations, and treason. According to the bill, since murder is not one of those five crimes, it should be solely governed by the state. The bill also mandates that doctors must try to save the mother and the fetus, even though as we know, there are many situations in which both cannot be saved. It also changes medical terminology, re-designating all zygotes, embryos, and concepti as fetuses. In the bill's logic, a fertilized egg is the same as a person, and its destruction is murder. Sometimes even a fertilized egg will fail to adhere to the uterine lining, so would that make a uterus a murderer? At least the bill doesn't propose instituting pro-life Stork Bucks or outlawing "space abortions"...yet.

I checked Snopes.com to see if this was bullshit or if this guy is for real, and apparently this guy is for real and also crazy! :crazy:

It won't survive in US Supreme Court, anyway.

When did we start having a dictator in USA!!? If this was to pass women rights will go back to the DARK AGES!!

I think that bill will die,, I can't vision death penaltiy for INVOLUNTARY termination of a baby (miscarriage.)

The guy that proposed that law is a nutjob. But, I don't think this will even get passt the committee. Someone above mentioned the Supreme Ct. I don't think it will even go THAT far. In order for it to reach the SC, it'd have to be passed into law. I don't see that happening. It's just ubsurd. However, the bill is a wake up call to people, in that, it gives an idea of what these extremists want to do. I hope this dude is voted out of office or terms limits bites him in the butt. :dizzy:

Yes I agreed, Oceanbreeze. I doubt it'll pass the law, and the first post with that link, that writer seemingly forgets about pro-life women do suffer miscarriages too... But if that first link in OP's first post is talked about what I provided the another link, then it seems the entire thing sounds like it has more to do with medical record-keeping than criminal investigations... Again, this bill is ridiculous to me.

Yes I agreed, Oceanbreeze. I doubt it'll pass the law, and the first post with that link, that writer seemingly forgets about pro-life women do suffer miscarriages too... But if that first link in OP's first post is talked about what I provided the another link, then it seems the entire thing sounds like it has more to do with medical record-keeping than criminal investigations... Again, this bill is ridiculous to me.

Miscarriages are almost always involuntary. There are a FEW women who will try to interrupt a pregnancy purposely. However, you can't craft a bill such as this without trapping the majority of women who INVOLUNTARILY miscarry. That's just wrong.

It looks like the stupid fairy paid a visit to this guy.... TWICE...or he's just an arrogant asshole who wants to pander to the Right to Life people!

The guy that proposed that law is a nutjob. But, I don't think this will even get passt the committee. Someone above mentioned the Supreme Ct. I don't think it will even go THAT far. In order for it to reach the SC, it'd have to be passed into law. I don't see that happening. It's just ubsurd. However, the bill is a wake up call to people, in that, it gives an idea of what these extremists want to do. I hope this dude is voted out of office or terms limits bites him in the butt. :dizzy:

Agreed on this one. The guy is a loon for even proposing such a law. He better be a one term guy.

Umm

Both miscarriages and abortions would be potentially punishable by death: any "prenatal murder" in the words of the bill, including "human involvement" in a miscarriage, would be a felony and carry a penalty of life in prison or death.

The article is a BS scare tactic.

Since you don't have a uterus, you don't have to worry about your bodily integrity. It's a real concern for women. You know, half of the population.

The article is a BS scare tactic.
Agreed. The article reads like the complete opposite of an extreme pro-life article. They just turn the tables.

Since you don't have a uterus, you don't have to worry about your bodily integrity. It's a real concern for women. You know, half of the population.
Actually, slightly over half.

It is insanely unlikely that this would ever get off the ground. Reminds me of so many other extreme articles designed to infuriate someone.

Yet many of those women are pro-life.... :hmm:

but that is not even the point. Point is this article is a joke.

Miscarriages are almost always involuntary. There are a FEW women who will try to interrupt a pregnancy purposely. However, you can't craft a bill such as this without trapping the majority of women who INVOLUNTARILY miscarry. That's just wrong.

It looks like the stupid fairy paid a visit to this guy.... TWICE...or he's just an arrogant asshole who wants to pander to the Right to Life people!

I learned in a "Psychology of Women" class back in college that the average woman can get pregnant up to 14 times or more in a lifetime and miscarry many of these pregnancies without even knowing it. It's natural to miscarry very, very, very early in the pregnancy without women even knowing that it happened. It can even happen in the first few days or even the first couple weeks of pregnancy. That's normal, as I learned in class.

My mother had a miscarriage! I heard of a girl grandmother having 5 miscarriages before she could have baby! And the granddaughter had 2
miscarriages , she felt so guilty of for not being able to carry her baby. This bill need to be DOA ! The guy that want to pass this insane bill should be locked in a psycho unit!

ugh... this thread again?

Under Rep. Franklin's bill, HB 1, women who miscarry could become felons if they cannot prove that there was "no human involvement whatsoever in the causation" of their miscarriage. There is no clarification of what "human involvement" means, and this is hugely problematic as medical doctors do not know exactly what causes miscarriages.

there are some women who intentionally caused miscarriage and Franklin wanted to punish them. however - the bill is worded in a vague way to the point where you can be criminally-charged for having an abortion even though it is legal on federal level.

My mother had a miscarriage! I heard of a girl grandmother having 5 miscarriages before she could have baby! And the granddaughter had 2
miscarriages , she felt so guilty of for not being able to carry her baby. This bill need to be DOA ! The guy that want to pass this insane bill should be locked in a psycho unit!

ugh... this thread again?

there are some women who intentionally caused miscarriage and Franklin wanted to punish them. however - the bill is worded in a vague way to the point where you can be criminally-charged for having an abortion even though it is legal on federal level.

I honestly don't see this getting past the committee. If it does, I'll worry. Right now, though, I'm not worried.

The guy's an extremist nut.

Back