Further cementing my decision to go with Advanced Bionics...

Phi4Sius

Reaction score
Are the demos of their High Fidelity 120 processing strategy:

Best for Music

I just have to wait for my employer to switch over to new (better insurance) than before, and I'll more than likely end up proceeding with implantation for my left dead ear that hasn't heard in 25 years and has never had any benefit from a hearing aid. I'm fully expecting to be inundated with some kind of very robotic beeps/sound in the beginning but that it will improve over time.

I can also now see (and hear) why @faire_jour went with Advanced Bionics over other companies.

Woah! I thought you were all for stem cells! I missed this change...congrats on looking into CI!

I think if I were to go for it i would go with AB too, for the same reasons.

I wish you good luck on your journey with a cochlear implant :)

Yes all sounds samples are kind of misleading to a point. Manufactures like to push their technology as being the best. Advanced Bionics was my first choice as they where pushing that music sounds best with their technology. After a long talk with my surgeon we feel that the Cochlear Freedom will give the best chance of a full insertion in my unique cochlea so for that reason I switch. Music is one of my greatest joy in life and I am quite a happy camper and love all the guitar concerts, all the big Mahler orchestral concerts, choirs and solo voices all sound very clear to me and this week alone I am going to four concerts. I feel that I did not lose anything in the switch to a differnt different brand but gain alot in the process. Phi4Sius, good luck on your journey!

Best for Music

I just have to wait for my employer to switch over to new (better insurance) than before, and I'll more than likely end up proceeding with implantation for my left dead ear that hasn't heard in 25 years and has never had any benefit from a hearing aid. I'm fully expecting to be inundated with some kind of very robotic beeps/sound in the beginning but that it will improve over time.

I can also now see (and hear) why @faire_jour went with Advanced Bionics over other companies.

I doubt it... I am betting that you might hear sounds that is less robotic all thanks to AB's HiResolution 120 sound program.

I have AB, but I am not using Fidelity 120. There is so much variety with AB and the audie will work on many programs inorder to ensure you are hearing the best clarity. By the way, music rocks! Not robotic at all!

CI or Stem Cells

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I was born with 'normal' hearing and about 2 years ago suffered SSNL in my left ear. I have severe loss in my left ear and about 20% degradation in my right ear.

I have been considering waiting for stem cells to come along to regenerate my left ear. Having discussed CIs with my ENT he told me that implanting a CI does NOT preclude you from having stem cells in the future. From those with experience, can you tell me if this is true or not?

Also, does anyone here have a CI who once had hearing and can compare it to what normal, natural hearing is like?

Thanks,
Danny.

danny :20% so your one ear is severe and one is mild-moderate? And your ENT said you could get CI?

My reasoning for picking AB for myself is because they have more speech processing strategies to choose from.. They have the older ones that some people still prefer (CIS), then they have the newer ones (Hi-Res, etc.), and more coming out over time (ClearVoice sometime next year hopefully!). Sure, Cochlear's new Nucleus 5 seems great and all, thinner, light weight etc., but I'd rather have more speech strategy options and I just feel like AB would be the better CI for me.

@deafdude1 - I know of several with total one ear deafness for at least 27+ years like me who benefit great from CI (and not in a "limited benefit" as you describe).
That's good..........and those who once heard normally are supposed to be the best canidates right?

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I was born with 'normal' hearing and about 2 years ago suffered SSNL in my left ear. I have severe loss in my left ear and about 20% degradation in my right ear.

I have been considering waiting for stem cells to come along to regenerate my left ear. Having discussed CIs with my ENT he told me that implanting a CI does NOT preclude you from having stem cells in the future. From those with experience, can you tell me if this is true or not?

Also, does anyone here have a CI who once had hearing and can compare it to what normal, natural hearing is like?

Thanks,
Danny.

You normally have to have profound deafness in both ears. With one ear almost normal, it is very unlikely you could get approval.

Best for Music

Congratulation!!!

Good luck on your CI journey! :)

Last edited:
deafdude STOP being so negative!!!!!! It' annoying and NO one wants to hear it! Especially phi3sius! It's his decision to get CI NOT yours so like he said....BACK OFF and leave his decision alone...u can wait years upon years for stem cells...not everyone wants to wait to hear.

Phi- Good luck on getting your CI, my loss is progressive and I have too looked into it and am getting another audiogram to see were my hearing is at now. Not sure if I will qualify and what my speech scores are at but im severe and might need new HA's neways GOOD LUCK and ignore pessimists!

You got good point!

CI candidacy has been loosened up it seems (AND it IS approved by the FDA according to this PDF previously posted by @faire_jour) - go down to page 56.

New candidacy criteria as outlined by the FDA:

Adults- 40-70 dB loss w/50% or less sentences aided in the ear to be implanted

70 - 90 dB loss w/50% or less sentences aided in the ear to be implanted.

90 - 130 dB loss w/50% or less sentences aided in ear to be implanted.

BTW, thank you everyone!! I'm just waiting for my work to change insurance carriers and get the new insurance underway (less than a week to go!). I'm really hoping to see the new insurance company be able to approve a CI at a hospital REALLY close to my home rather than in LA. But, if I have to go to LA I'll go as a last resort.

Mod note:

After review, posts were removed. I'm going to give this thread another chance, please respect one another and keep the thread clean.

Thanks.

I refused AB because of their lying and avoiding my direct questions.. And at the time, they had the FDA fining them for inferior products used on the implant. Cochlear was not much better with their information. MedEl answered all my questions and was professional and much more honest. I hear music very nicely with the Opus2 model and very happy with the choice I made.

Keep in mind, you can only use up to 4 programing strategies. And don't expect to hear " normal" with any model.

And make sure you can get to the Mapping sessions... You will need to go to Mapping sessions for about a year ...

Best for Music

I've never heard "robotic beeps" the entire time outside of the mapping tests they use for calibrating the loudness of the sounds when they set up the tolerances for your CI sensitivity.

The sounds you hear at first will most likely be, well, strange, for the lack of a better term - it may be "robotic/metallic-tinged" or "sounds like coming through water" or "abnormally high/lo pitched" but not "beeps." Then your brain adjusts to the sounds and you get things to sound somewhat normal.

Ah yes right Dennis

Have lots of asprin ready for the poor brain relearning the new sounds...

Back