Fumbling New Signer

horus11B

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I lost the greater part of my hearing while in the military. Long story. So at the age of 30 I'm finding myself having a hard time communicating, missing music so much I could cry, and fumbling through basic ASL. I'm working hard on becoming literate enough to be able to communicate with those around me. My wife has been very supportive, in that she has begun learning ASL with me. My parents and family force me to be vocal though, and continue to talk with their mouths full or half covered, or mumble. :roll:

Its been hard, its a shitty transition. I can hear bass notes and low frequency tones so I have some situational awareness.

Ive been trying to meet new people, but its really hard. The deaf community is scary. Hearing people hate having to repeat themselves, and so do deaf people, so I end up frustrating alot of people ( myself mostly) by not being able to communicate.

When I do find a deaf person who will slow down enough for me to be able to follow their signs, the syntax and sentence structure doesnt make sense for me ( because I think in english, and therefore am using more SE than ASL. Im working hard on learning how to sign concepts).

Life is hard, but if there is anything that I learned from the military its to press on and make them kill you, so Im not giving up any time soon. Hard when the only person you really express yourself to is yourself.

Anyways, Im here to learn, to meet, to grow, and to be me.
God bless all of you.

You should start talking to your family the same way they're talking to you ,
mouths full or half covered, or mumble. Maybe they'll get the hint. I had to LOL when I read that b/c it reminded of my dad when he talked with his mouth stuffed with food he would mumble.

The deaf community and hearing community can be intimidating to both sides.

Thank you for your service. It is truly appreciated.

I hope you are receiving help from your local VA office. If you aren't, please contact your county's VA (not state, do it on a county level to start) office. My husband is an Iraq-wounded vet and we have been assisted so much from our county VA office.

I'm deaf, my husband is hearing.

The deaf community and hearing community can be intimidating to both sides.

Thank you for your service. It is truly appreciated.

I hope you are receiving help from your local VA office. If you aren't, please contact your county's VA (not state, do it on a county level to start) office. My husband is an Iraq-wounded vet and we have been assisted so much from our county VA office.

I'm deaf, my husband is hearing.

But this this is the OP family you would think they would be more supported .

Re-read the OP. His wife is trying. He was talking about when he meets new people.
Looks to me as though he specifically mentioned family members.
My parents and family force me to be vocal though, and continue to talk with their mouths full or half covered, or mumble.

Looks to me as though he specifically mentioned family members.

He was talking about the deaf community being scary, and my response to that, to which WDYS responded to, was about this comment:

"Ive been trying to meet new people, but its really hard. The deaf community is scary. Hearing people hate having to repeat themselves, and so do deaf people, so I end up frustrating alot of people ( myself mostly) by not being able to communicate."

Give it a rest, hm? Pick on people your age, or not at all.

He was talking about the deaf community being scary, and my response to that, to which WDYS responded to, was about this comment:

"Ive been trying to meet new people, but its really hard. The deaf community is scary. Hearing people hate having to repeat themselves, and so do deaf people, so I end up frustrating alot of people ( myself mostly) by not being able to communicate."

I don't think anyone is picking you or anyone . Boy people are getting touchy lately, it must be the heat .

What are you talking about?

:welcome:

Thank you for your service to our country.

I'm a hearing person who learned ASL as an adult. You can do it.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. You will have bumpy road into the journey of being a deaf person. It is not easy when you had been hearing all of your life before you became deaf at 30 years old. Learn to use sign language like ASL (I hope you enter a Deaf class to learn and understand Deaf Culture and ASL). Just take a deep breath and you will be fine.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Back