From a Deaf Perspective: Express it as it is for you.

BecLak

Reaction score
What do you want the world to know? Use a quote or a statement. Keep it as short as possible please and remember the title of the thread. :ty:

I will start it off:

Respect is like a boomerang. Give it and it comes right back to you. If you don't respect us, how can you expect us to respect you?

What do you want the world to know? Use a quote or a statement. Keep it as short as possible please and remember the title of the thread. :ty:

I will start it off:

Respect is like a boomerang. Give it and it comes right back to you. If you don't respect us, how can you expect us to respect you?

Yup. Giving respect is like spitting into the wind.
Now, wait a minute...:hmm:

Pictures are worth more than a thousand words; Actions 'speak louder' than words. We have our faces, hands and heartfelt emotions to 'speak' for us.

The deaf community is not united enough to make statements from a "deaf" perspective. We are not a cohesive unit.

The deaf community is not united enough to make statements from a "deaf" perspective. We are not a cohesive unit.

Or opinion. We can allow for diversity :P I'm curious as to what will surface. It may surprise you. Hearies can also contribute to what they think the Deaf perspective is. It will be interesting to say the least. :hmm:

From a Deaf perspective we are a very diverse group.

"Nothing for us without us". In other words, hearing people have no business making decisions regarding what is best for the deaf until they have asked the deaf themselves, and actually paid attention to what they are told.

In the silence around me, I feel peace, it surrounds and abounds me....I'm able to listen for love....let me learn, let me strive...give me pride...in my right to be me.

"Nothing for us without us". In other words, hearing people have no business making decisions regarding what is best for the deaf until they have asked the deaf themselves, and actually paid attention to what they are told.

That is so correct, Jillio.

In the silence around me, I feel peace, it surrounds and abounds me....I'm able to listen for love....let me learn, let me strive...give me pride...in my right to be me.

rockin'robin, Beautiful - Love it. :ty:

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

removing my quote

Jennifer, :wave: you are welcome to post here even if you are not deaf. Feel free to post what you understand the Deaf Perspective to be. (ie: PFH is already using one of your posts as a quote :D )

Jennifer, :wave: you are welcome to post here even if you are not deaf. Feel free to post what you understand the Deaf Perspective to be. (ie: PFH is already using one of your posts as a quote :D )

Thanks! Still, a little early for me to have a very good understanding of the deaf experience. My exposure to the deaf culture has been limited, unless you want to count the several times in Philadelphia when i was approached by someone who wanted to give me the deaf alphabet on a little piece of paper... for a donation. Those individuals always seemed a little scruffy, a little brusque, and in a hurry too...but I know that like everyone else, the deaf community consists of different types of people. There have been times in my life when I have tried to imagine what it would be like to not be able to hear, and to be honest, it seems sometimes like it would be really nice, really...well, QUIET. (I am very sensitive to noise).... but I know that there is no way I can understand what it is like without actually living that way long term.

As a hearing person, I am appalled by the lack of respect shown to Deaf people and their language... I can only imagine how awful it is for a Deaf person to be told, not only through words but, worse, through the actions of hearies, that ASL is not a real language, that it is a "lesser" language... so I guess what I want to say is that it is not up to us hearies to make decisions for, or about, the Deaf or ASL. It is not up to us to suggest changes "for the better", or to "make up" an "easier" version of a word or a concept. Deaf people are far more capable and competent to make those decisions than ANY hearie would ever be and we hearies should back the Hell off.

As a hearing person, I am appalled by the lack of respect shown to Deaf people and their language... I can only imagine how awful it is for a Deaf person to be told, not only through words but, worse, through the actions of hearies, that ASL is not a real language, that it is a "lesser" language... so I guess what I want to say is that it is not up to us hearies to make decisions for, or about, the Deaf or ASL. It is not up to us to suggest changes "for the better", or to "make up" an "easier" version of a word or a concept. Deaf people are far more capable and competent to make those decisions than ANY hearie would ever be and we hearies should back the Hell off.

Yeah, you know what happened to those who walk into an Apache community and start criticizing. :lol:

Back