Friend Or Social Experiment?

iMaisie

Resident Glaswegian
Reaction score
I actually had a strange encounter today due to 'Deaf Awareness Week' (Which I don't even really support as why do we need just a week to educate others on our deafness? I tend to educate often.)

Anyways, I actually had someone in my university come up to me in the campus library and start finger-spelling 'Hello' to me then she started talking. I've seen this girl a few times about campus but we've never even spoke, and she was telling me how she studies Social Work and that they were required to listen to a lecture on Deaf Awareness and that she learned a lot because she didn't even know that deaf people could speak and how she seen me before but never said hi cause she didn't know how to 'speak to deaf person' but that she loved my backpack cause it was super 'kawaii' and she heard that I was a loner.

I suppose it's a good thing that it's encouraging people to stop ignoring us and actually come say hi but, I'm kind of suspicious about her motives, and besides what's so bad about being a loner?

Anyways, the whole exchange was weird and we talked for a good bit and I even invited her to an event I'm attending tomorrow.

So, what do you guys think? Does she want to be friends or...?

Its not that Deaf awareness week means we only have a week to educate.

Nor does, as an example pride week or pride day mean for lgbtqa pride only occurs during the festivities

She could be at her his moment Just curious.
but
friendship can grow
if its wanted

Do you want to be friend with her, you'll a lot of educating to do with her ! I got a ride from COA once and got into the guy's car and he said nothing to me
not even a 'hello' so I finally said something to him and the guy said " He didn't know if I would hear him ." So he said nothing ! The woman at COA told the guy
I was 'deaf' and I am HOH , the I called COA on the phone and spoke to them , so there was no needs to tell him I was HOH. Deaf awareness week is not long
enough to equate the pubic , this need to be done everyday . COA = council on aging

I think she is fascinated with the fact you are deaf, but i think it could turn into a nice friendship once she gets to know who you are outside of being deaf. But it will be a lot of work if she knows nothing about deaf culture anf language. That would be your call on if she is worth that much time into her.

I cannot comment on her motive. But, remember, she was brave, made the first move and took all the risk to start a convo w/ a loner who could snap and become a serial killer at the drop of a hat! :) Since, she made the first move, maybe you owe her the next one and see where that leads. Good luck.

Do you want to be friend with her, you'll a lot of educating to do with her ! I got a ride from COA once and got into the guy's car and he said nothing to me
not even a 'hello' so I finally said something to him and the guy said " He didn't know if I would hear him ." So he said nothing ! The woman at COA told the guy
I was 'deaf' and I am HOH , the I called COA on the phone and spoke to them , so there was no needs to tell him I was HOH. Deaf awareness week is not long
enough to equate the pubic , this need to be done everyday . COA = council on aging

Well, I think it would be nice to have friends here. I've honestly been so pre-occupied with keeping up my friendships back in Japan that I haven't really bothered to try and make friends here since I've moved back (It's been 4 years since I moved back to Scotland).

But like you said, with this particular girl, it might require a ton of educating on my part. I guess we'll see tomorrow, hopefully I can get a proper feel for the kind of person that she is.

Haha! Yeah, I used to get that a lot with Taxi Cab Drivers when I used to wear hearing aids. They would instantly lock onto them and just not talk.

I think she is fascinated with the fact you are deaf, but i think it could turn into a nice friendship once she gets to know who you are outside of being deaf. But it will be a lot of work if she knows nothing about deaf culture anf language. That would be your call on if she is worth that much time into her.

I believe so. I mean like I said, it was just such a strange conversation. Hopefully, we can strike up somewhat of a friendship. I mean, I'm always willing to educate but like, it concerns me on whether she'd want me just for the sake of education or whether she'd actually want to be friends, y'know? Because what makes me so interesting now compared to before?

I cannot comment on her motive. But, remember, she was brave, made the first move and took all the risk to start a convo w/ a loner who could snap and become a serial killer at the drop of a hat! :) Since, she made the first move, maybe you owe her the next one and see where that leads. Good luck.

True. Not to mention props to her for the finger spelling, that took me by surprise completely. Haha! Exactly, I'm one of those terrible, creepy loners who'll make bread from your bones :rofl:
I'll definitely see what becomes of it. Hopefully she'll turn up tomorrow and we'll chat a good bit.

I'm one of those terrible, creepy loners

You are not alone. I am one too. I am sure half or better, AD members would say the samething. It is because we are lonely and waiting for a big deaf/hoh party any minute.

You are not alone. I am one too. I am sure half or better, AD members would say the samething. It is because we are lonely and waiting for a big deaf/hoh party any minute.

Haha, yeah. Would be nice to have a meet up someday :) then go party! :party:

I did not google that term, but..what does "kawaii" mean?

It's a Japanese culture phrase for 'cute'. It's traditionally used to refer to pink, over-the-top, pastel coloured girly clothing but the british and americans have taken a liking to the phrase and have adapted it so it's now being used to refer to cute things in general.

I did not google that term, but..what does "kawaii" mean?
It's a form of "cute" usually regarding animals, food or other things that are given a "cuteness" . Always loved Pokémon, but this Pikachu is a form of kawaii

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
It's a Japanese culture phrase for 'cute'. It's traditionally used to refer to pink, over-the-top, pastel coloured girly clothing but the british and americans have taken a liking to the phrase and have adapted it so it's now being used to refer to cute things in general.

I learned something new. Thanks!

Well, I think it would be nice to have friends here. I've honestly been so pre-occupied with keeping up my friendships back in Japan that I haven't really bothered to try and make friends here since I've moved back (It's been 4 years since I moved back to Scotland).

But like you said, with this particular girl, it might require a ton of educating on my part. I guess we'll see tomorrow, hopefully I can get a proper feel for the kind of person that she is.

Haha! Yeah, I used to get that a lot with Taxi Cab Drivers when I used to wear hearing aids. They would instantly lock onto them and just not talk.

I believe so. I mean like I said, it was just such a strange conversation. Hopefully, we can strike up somewhat of a friendship. I mean, I'm always willing to educate but like, it concerns me on whether she'd want me just for the sake of education or whether she'd actually want to be friends, y'know? Because what makes me so interesting now compared to before?

True. Not to mention props to her for the finger spelling, that took me by surprise completely. Haha! Exactly, I'm one of those terrible, creepy loners who'll make bread from your bones :rofl:
I'll definitely see what becomes of it. Hopefully she'll turn up tomorrow and we'll chat a good bit.
I agree it's nice to have friends , most of mines are dead or I lost contact when I moved back east. I found it easier to make friends in Ca. than in Ma. where I now live .

Just be careful.
Give her credit for making an effort, for trying to make a connection but until she proves herself as a true friend not sensation hungry monger, do not trust too much.
In time, you'll realise what her real intention are, and you will be able to relax and go either direction - either become good friends
or go separate ways :)

Fuzzy

Back