fried sunny side up!

gnuuser

Reaction score
Due to recent power surges in our area I have recently gotten a few cooked pc's in the shop. this has prompted me to post this.
while im not plugging this particular brand of ups i use apc.
regardless of the name brand chose a good one with a high joule rating.
even if it costs a bit it is still cheaper than having to buy a new computer!
the powerstrip suppressors should be replaced after every power surge.

mainboard is fried
blown capacitors look like egg yolk (bulged and leaking yellow/brown fluid)
(sunny side up):giggle:

seriously I hate to tell people when their computer is fried because of what it will cost them to repair or replace them:roll:

mainboard is fried
blown capacitors look like egg yolk (bulged and leaking yellow/brown fluid)
(sunny side up):giggle:

seriously I hate to tell people when their computer is fried because of what it will cost them to repair or replace them:roll:

You might try replacing capacitor but I cannot guarantee that mainboard would work.. Chipset and perhap CPU might have been fried.

Try look for capactors in Ebay. Usually parted out from board.

Catty

if it was just one capacitor I would replace it and try it out
but when there is more than one blown there is usually more failed components that have caused that condition:shock:
the best form of protection from spiked would be to use an isolation transformer and a power conditioner as well as a whole house surge protector such as the one in the following link,

Square D SDSB1175C - Whole House Surge Protector

We had lightning strike our house a few years back. The surge protectors (which really aren't intended to protect against lightning) protected our PC but "fried" the modem and the built-in ethernet of my iMac. The cable company replaced the modem for free. My iMac's internet capability could not be restored. The computer worked but it couldn't be used online. The lightning also took out the phone answering machine, one out three TV's, and the garage door opener.

We recently had lightning hit a guest suite for which we are responsible (but not located at our house). We had surge protectors in place but the TV one didn't have the cable protection, just the electrical connection. So, the TV and DVD player were fried, due to the cable, which was attached to an outdoor over-the-air antenna. I replaced the TV and DVD player, and got a new surge protector with the cable connectors. Also, it destroyed the internet cable that runs thru the walls but it didn't hurt the Airport router. So, we had to move the router to another hardwired connection in a nearby office. No computers were connected to it (the Airport is used by guests who have wireless laptops). The office supposedly has built in surge protection.

Our home PC is connected 24/7. My MacBook Pro and my Samsung netbook are plugged into power only when in use, and not during storms. I'm not taking any chances with losing them all. They all have new surge protectors.

One problem with putting the cable protection on the TV's is that it degrades the signal. Even the cable technician told us that the reasons some of the signals were weak was because our cable was run thru surge protectors. Blah!

if it was just one capacitor I would replace it and try it out but when there is more than one blown there is usually more failed components that have caused that condition:shock:
the best form of protection from spiked would be to use an isolation transformer and a power conditioner as well as a whole house surge protector such as the one in the following link,

Square D SDSB1175C - Whole House Surge Protector
Not a bad price for the whole house.

Only protects two coaxial cables? :hmm:

Is there any hope of repair for a TV or DVD player that won't even power up since lightning went thru the cable? The TV was about one year old, and the DVD player was about six months old.

We had lightning strike our house a few years back. The surge protectors (which really aren't intended to protect against lightning) protected our PC but "fried" the modem and the built-in ethernet of my iMac. ... The lightning also took out the phone answering machine, one out three TV's, and the garage door opener.

No protector - not even the effective 'whole house' protector - stops or absorbs surges. That myth is quite apparent in some posted examples. Why was the modem and ethernet port damaged? Because that adjacent protector made damage easier. It violated what all protectors must do.

Cable TV needs no protector. The best protection is a wire from the cable and low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet') to single point earth ground. Nobody could ask for better protection.

Unfortunately other wires cannot be earthed directly. So we connect AC electric wires just as short to earth via a 'whole house' protector. If every wire inside every incoming cable connects to single point earth ground, then all computers are used without fear during every thunderstorm.

Learn what your telco has been doing for over 100 years. Their $multi-million switching computer connects to overhead wires all over town. It is threatened, on average, by 100 surges during each thunderstorm. So your telco turns off all phone service with each approaching storm. Please read that sentence again.

Your telco's computer is threatened by 100 surges and can never be damaged. They also do not waste money on magic box (plug-in) protectors. For over 100 years, telcos connect every incoming wire to earth. No exceptions can exist. Each protector must connect as close as possible to earth. So that a protector does not make damage easier, telcos want that protector up to 50 meters (150 feet) distant from electronics. Distance between protector and an appliance increases protection.

'Whole house' protectors mean protection even from direct lightning strikes. You do same so that one potentially destructive surge every seven years also does no damage. Protection was always and is always about how short that protector connects to earth. No protector does protection. Not one. Protection is always about connecting surges to the only item that does protection - earth ground.

Many protection systems have no protector. But every protection system always has one item - earth ground. Protectors either connect to what does protection. Or the protector has a history of even making damage easier - ie that modem and ethernet port.

The Square D protector is an example of what more responsible companies provide. Other more responsible companies include ABB, General Electric, Intermatic, Siemens, and Leviton. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.

A minimal 'whole house' protector starts at 50,000 amps. A typical lightning strike is 20,000 amps. The protector connects direct lightning strikes short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to earth. And remains functional. Only ineffective profit center protectors fail during a surge. Effective protection means nobody even knew a surge existed. That is why informed homeowners only earth one 'whole house' protector. And divert money otherwise wasted on plug-in protectors into upgrading the only item that does all protection - earth ground.

Anything that might work on an appliances power cord is already inside all electronics. For example, a superior isolation transformer is already inside. Some of the best protection inside a house is already inside appliances. Protection in that Mac may have been compromised due to an adjacent protector. Destructive surges are typically once every seven years. We earth a 'whole house' protector so that the rare surge will not overwhelm superior protection already inside every appliance.

Protection is always about where those hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate. Energy that will increase voltage as necessary to blow thought anything that might stop a surge (ie a magic box protector). Protection is about hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly absorbed outside the building in earth ground. A protector is only as effective as its connection to earth. That is science well proven and repeatedly demonstrated for over 100 years.

Is there any hope of repair for a TV or DVD player that won't even power up since lightning went thru the cable? The TV was about one year old, and the DVD player was about six months old.

Generally it's cheaper to buy new than to fix old. If willing to pay, anything can be repaired, I would call local tv repairguys, if any, and see what they say.

Is there any hope of repair for a TV or DVD player that won't even power up since lightning went thru the cable?
I often fix these things. Not necessarily to save money. Primary purpose is to learn. For example, a multifunction printer (damaged because a protector earthed lightning through it) only had an 80 amp protector (a 2 millimeter part) destroyed. Replaced that part. The entire multifunction printer is working today.

Not only is the printer working. We also demonstrated why the homeowner had damage.

Most TV and computer techs do not have sufficient knowledge to do this. If they cannot fix it by swapping boards, then they declare the entire unit too expensive to fix. Most damage is only one tiny part (that one was only 2 mm). But finding it (especially without schematics and sufficient training) can be too expensive.

Most important is to learn why damage occurred. To eliminate the building defect that permitted or all but encouraged damage.

Generally it's cheaper to buy new than to fix old. If willing to pay, anything can be repaired, I would call local tv repairguys, if any, and see what they say.
That's what I figured. I bought a new combo TV with DVD player for them and replaced the fired equipment with it. Now I'm stuck with almost new TV and DVD player that are worthless. :(

That's what I figured. I bought a new combo TV with DVD player for them and replaced the fired equipment with it. Now I'm stuck with almost new TV and DVD player that are worthless. :(

Insurance??

that's also why I don't like to buy combo. :(

Insurance??
Deductible makes it not worthwhile.

that's also why I don't like to buy combo. :(
The original TV and DVD player were two separate pieces of equipment, not a combo.

The replacement is a combo because it was cheaper than buying two new pieces.

I've seen this thread title over the last few days and it makes me crave fried eggs. :lol:

Sorry, carry on!

Back