Free Education!

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College
Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

President Barack Obama announced his proposal Thursday to provide two years of free community college tuition to American students who maintain good grades.

“Put simply, what I’d like to do is to see the first two years of community college free for everyone who’s willing to work for it,” Obama said in a video filmed Wednesday aboard Air Force One and posted to Facebook. He made the announcement as part of his pre-State of the Union tour and will formally lay out the proposal Friday in a speech in Tennessee.

The White House estimated it would save the average community college student $3,800 annually and said it could benefit millions.

Rejoice!

It's a nice idea. I just wish for once my tax money made some oportunities for me. Guess I'll keep working my butt off barely paying the bills so other people can get free college.

It's a nice idea. I just wish for once my tax money made some oportunities for me. Guess I'll keep working my butt off barely paying the bills so other people can get free college.

You can get 2 years free education while you work so you could hone your skills and could be promoted. This is why I said it is good investment, it helps our country economy grow. Soon or later, just having a high school diploma may no longer be sufficient for above minimum wage careers. Its like you are paying taxes and getting free education, how can it go wrong?

You can get 2 years free education while you work so you could hone your skills and could be promoted. This is why I said it is good investment, it helps our country economy grow. Soon or later, just having a high school diploma may no longer be sufficient for above minimum wage careers. Its like you are paying taxes and getting free education, how can it go wrong?

It says for students and with good grades. I am niether. I had several undiagnosed learning dissabilities at school age and worked nights at a fish factory. I would love to go back to school understanding now how my brain works but i cannot afford it.

"free two years of community college . . ."

My ears perk up.

". . . for those who get good grades."

Darn - so close. I got the only perfect score on the ACT in the history of my county, but good grades, not so much.

As upperclassman student, community college is too big for me. :D

"Everyone understands that education is the key to success for our kids in the 21st century, but what we also understand is that it's not just for kids. We also have to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to constantly train themselves for better jobs, better wages and better benefits," the president said.

This is what I mean, if you have job and want to improve skills, 2 years community college is perfect opportunity. Or even better, different career if one is doing flipping hamburgers.

You can find that at: http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/08/pf/college/obama-free-college/index.html?iid=HP_LN

I saw something about this in passing on FB. I wonder if I'd be eligible for it but the problem is.. a) I already have a BA degree (in something entirely unrelated to IT...) b) I do have a business school 'diploma' but that is probably worthless now c) I am not exactly a traditional student and d) I don't have a job right now though I really really want to work again.

d) is the catch 22 with this proposal. I need the education to shore up and enhance/improve my career but I need a job to get the benefits of 'free 2 year' since I don't have the funds.... Good grades I doubt will be a problem...

This is a good idea for the homeless people who need to find another job or field to work in. Many of us including the homeless students could not afford to pay for education in 2 years of community college.

I hope that Vocational Rehabilitation Service would provide ASL interpreters and allowances for the Deaf and Hard Of Hearing. :hmm:

So? is Obama going to be paying the teacher's salaries out of his own pocket? Is he going to pay for your books, room and board as well? My .. what deep pockets he must have.

So? is Obama going to be paying the teacher's salaries out of his own pocket? Is he going to pay for your books, room and board as well? My .. what deep pockets he must have.

It will come from your taxes. :lol:

This is a good idea for the homeless people who need to find another job or field to work in. Many of us including the homeless students could not afford to pay for education in 2 years of community college.

I hope that Vocational Rehabilitation Service would provide ASL interpreters and allowances for the Deaf and Hard Of Hearing. :hmm:

In Alabama and Mississippi - good luck due to ASL interpreter shortage.

It will come from your taxes. :lol:

Call me bitter but I'm tired of being the whiped horse. I happily pay my taxes to pay for utilities and to help people in need but i barely make ends meet so forgive me if it hurts a little watching the government hand my money out to other people for free.

Call me bitter but I'm tired of being the whiped horse. I happily pay my taxes to pay for utilities and to help people in need but i barely make ends meet so forgive me if it hurts a little watching the government hand my money out to other people for free.

when more people are educated and working.... that would means more taxpayers. that means our social security future will be better when we're old farts.

in case you didn't know... or conveniently overlooked it... it began with..... a Republican Governor in Tennessee.... called "Tennessee Promise"

http://businessclimate.com/tennesse...ion-initiatives-prepare-state-economic-growth
When Gov. Bill Haslam signed the groundbreaking Tennessee Promise bill into law, Tennessee became the first state in the nation to offer such a program.

The bill guarantees that beginning with the graduating class of 2015, the state will pay the tuition and fees – after financial aid packages are applied – for any Tennessee high school graduate to attend a state community or technical college full time.

“Being a single parent of three, I’m at an economical disadvantage and can’t offer a lot of financial support when it comes to furthering their education,” Nashville resident Taleshia Kimble says. “Now they won’t have to get bogged down in debt from student loans if they choose a community college.”

The Tennessee Promise is part of Gov. Haslam’s Drive to 55 initiative to boost the percentage of Tennessee residents with a college degree or certifications to 55 percent by the year 2025.

"We know that the more educated the population is, the more attractive we become to employers and relocating businesses – and the better the quality of life is for our citizens, says Mike Krause, executive director of the Drive to 55/Tennessee Promise initiative.

Obama is simply wanting to expand Governor Haslam's initiative to statewide because it's good for America. It's a shame right now that we're behind.... very behind. USA #1? don't kid me.

when more people are educated and working.... that would means more taxpayers. that means our social security future will be better when we're old farts.

Are there vacant jobs just waiting around? No, jobs get filled with the best available people. Education gets you the better jobs.

Are there vacant jobs just waiting around? No, jobs get filled with the best available people. Education gets you the better jobs.

and then they create jobs especially in dying states like Tennessee.

and then they create jobs especially in dying states like Tennessee.

If educated people can just create jobs then why do they all leave maine after college? Hmmm, maybe because there are no jobs here.

Back