Fraud Alert from Sorenson Communications

R

rockdrummer

I recieved this email today from Sorenson and thought I would share it with you all. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Sorenson Communications, the leading provider of Video Relay Service (VRS) for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals who use sign language to communicate, continues to inform you and all VRS users on how to protect your privacy and avoid frauds and scams. Recently, you may have received or heard about an email claiming that Sorenson and the USTelcom Association are giving out millions of dollars to deaf VP users and asking you to email personal information to a fraudulent email address. This email is NOT from Sorenson or the United States Telecom Association. It is likely a SCAM! If you have received an email outlining this program, DO NOT respond and DO NOT send any personal or financial information! Sorenson Communications is currently working with all the appropriate legal agencies to eliminate this fraudulent activity.

Sorenson Communications will never call or email you to ask for your personal or financial information. If you are contacted by someone making these claims, we strongly suggest you DO NOT provide your personal or financial information, unless you have initiated the contact or you have confirmed that you are working with a legitimate organization. If you are unsure whether the organization is legitimate, ask for the business' name, the individual's name and title, telephone number, street address, e-mail address, and business license number. Be sure to verify that the company is legitimate before responding to any requests. You can do this by checking with your local:

Consumer protection office
Better Business Bureau
State Attorney General
The National Fraud Information Center
The Federal Trade Commission, or other consumer groups
If you cannot verify that a company is legitimate, DO NOT provide anyone representing that organization with your personal information!

For more information about how you can protect yourself against these and other fraudulent practices, please consult the Bureau of Consumer Protection of the Federal Trade Commission at FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection, or the Internet Crime Complaint Center, a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime Center, at: Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home.

Be assured that Sorenson Communications is committed to helping protect you and all VRS users from fraudulent scams and practices and will continue to help inform you on ways to protect your personal and financial information. You can also view American Sign Language (ASL) videos about ways you can protect yourself from fraudulent activities.

Yes, I received a few of them also....and received one from "Yahoo" a few days ago, that really looked like the real McCoy!...So I goggled it, and sure 'nuf it was a scam.....I've never been scammed...(I'm too mean!)...:giggle:.....but as always, goggle it first!.....I remmy when I first got on the net, after the urging of my friends/family, that I received a lot of scams!...Even "chatted" with someone who said he was in Calif., then changed it to Africa...and needed $$ to come home to "marry me"!....I smelled a rat right off the bat!

Also, last month, I received 2 checks for thousands of dollars in the mail from "Mystery Shopper"....(which I never signed up for)....I admit, it was tempting to try and cash those checks!...But...I did not...just tore them up and "trashed 'em"!...I'll stick to the Florida Lottery, which I do play occasionally!....

That E mail is actually from Sorenson and it is to let you all know that Sorenson will NEVER ask you for personal information. What that really mean is that they will never ask you for your SSN, Your bank information, etc.

If you get e mail asking you for your financial information, credit card information, SSN, etc then it is definetly not from Sorenson or any legitimate providers.

I recieved this email today from Sorenson and thought I would share it with you all. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

That E mail is actually from Sorenson and it is to let you all know that Sorenson will NEVER ask you for personal information. What that really mean is that they will never ask you for your SSN, Your bank information, etc.

If you get e mail asking you for your financial information, credit card information, SSN, etc then it is definetly not from Sorenson or any legitimate providers.
Yes DHB it is from Sorenson as I mentioned. It is also informing of an email that is going around in addition to letting you know they will not ask for your personal information. I never give out personal information even over the phone unless I know exactly who I am talking to.

I did receive that scammer message in my email and I find something fishy when I notice the date appear wrong and why would anyone send 4 times to me. And the job they're offer is seem too true but so ridiculous.

*delete messages*

then minutes later, I receive from the actual Sorenson' email to warning us. haha

Hi. My name is Payton Slaugh and I’m deaf. I got scammed by Sorensen communications telecom and messaged me on my Facebook messenger said “congratulations you’re the winner!” I fell for it. I accidentally sent out all my information to them. Then I got text messages from them saying FBI got involved and I’m like what???? I’m confused. So they’re threatening me to get arrested. I really need your help please. What should I do???? They won’t get my money back because I got scammed from them. I don’t know what to do. I need help.

Hi. My name is Payton Slaugh and I’m deaf. I got scammed by Sorensen communications telecom and messaged me on my Facebook messenger said “congratulations you’re the winner!” I fell for it. I accidentally sent out all my information to them. Then I got text messages from them saying FBI got involved and I’m like what???? I’m confused. So they’re threatening me to get arrested. I really need your help please. What should I do???? They won’t get my money back because I got scammed from them. I don’t know what to do. I need help.
Sorry for this to happen. First and foremost, change all of your passwords immediately. Your Bank, your FB account and such. Secondly hope you kept all of your messages. Report to FB, Sorenson, bank and call non-emergency police about this. Threatening you to get arrested is just a scare tactic, it's not real. Now if the scammer is outside of USA, it's beyond our controls. It's going to be very difficult to get the money back. You may want to talk to the bank and see what they can do about it. You will need to get a new bank account. I know this is going to be very mundane and difficult tasks and upsetting things to do. Hope for the best.

Sorry for this to happen. First and foremost, change all of your passwords immediately. Your Bank, your FB account and such. Secondly hope you kept all of your messages. Report to FB, Sorenson, bank and call non-emergency police about this. Threatening you to get arrested is just a scare tactic, it's not real. Now if the scammer is outside of USA, it's beyond our controls. It's going to be very difficult to get the money back. You may want to talk to the bank and see what they can do about it. You will need to get a new bank account. I know this is going to be very mundane and difficult tasks and upsetting things to do. Hope for the best.
I did changed my passwords all of it. I wish I kept all of my messages. I did report bank and non-emergency police about this.

Anytime I get an email from someone alerting me that I won, that there was an issue with my account, etc... I contact the source directly, I don't click on anything within that email.

It's easy for them to fake links or URLs in emails or make it look like the real thing.

For instance, I get an email from Chase bank saying my account was compromised. They tell me to click on a link in the email to go to my account settings and reset my password. Instead, I'll go to the Chase website directly and check on my own.

As soon as they asked for $200 fee I got suspicious that's my red flag so I reported it to Facebook they contacted me through messenger. I was already suspicious.

Back