Franken's first goal: Dogs for vets

pek1

Reaction score
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Franken’s first goal: Dogs for vets - Blogs from CNN.com

Franken's first goal: Dogs for vets
Posted: 02:18 PM ET

From CNN's Lauren Kornreich

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Newly-minted Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, unveiled his first legislative goal Monday — providing funding to train dogs to work with wounded veterans.

"Service dogs … can be of immense benefit to vets suffering from physical and emotional wounds," Franken wrote in a column published in the Star Tribune. "Yes, they provide companionship. But they can also detect changes in a person's breathing, perspiration or scent to anticipate and ward off an impending panic attack with some well-timed nuzzling. They are trained to let their masters know when it's time to take their medication and to wake them from terrifying nightmares."

Franken, who was recently sworn-in after a nine month battle over the election results, said it costs about $25,000 to train and place a dog and noted his bill would provide hundreds of them to veterans.

The Minnesota Democrat also said there is evidence to show that this kind of program could help reduce the suicide rate among veterans.

"Frankly, I believe it is enough simply to improve the lives of those of whom we asked so much," Franken wrote. "But this program isn't just the right thing to do. It's the smart thing to do. This is win, win, win, win. I've been a senator for only a few days. But I've learned that it's better to listen than to talk, that you don't have to be a lawyer to be impressed by a tremendous jurist like Judge Sotomayor and that I enjoy working with my Republican colleagues as much as I do with my fellow Democrats."

Praise God for this, as many vets need service dogs! This will be wonderful to see all those dogs out there, helping their papas and mamas in everyday life. Then the American people will see how valuable not only the vets are, but what the dogs can do! Snickers is my hearing dog and has been on duty since mid-2002, she will be pleased to see many of her colleagues out there so she's not alone!

Back