Four SEE signs....

Berry

Reaction score
Four SEE signs I see people starting to use a lot are the "if" sign, little finger under the eye: I don't see a lot of need for this sign but at least it is not easily confused.

The other three are "breakfast", "lunch", and "dinner". At least "dinner" isn't too bad, I mean the difference between going to the dentist and going to dinner doesn't make my eyebrows shoot up over my head.

Can't say the same thing for the other two. "Lunch either gets signed in front of the face where I"m not sure what the thumb and mouth are doing or they lay it to the side so they are saying they want to get a lesbian. I mean it is okay with me if that is what they want but I'm a married male, why would I go looking for one? And if she happened to be a friend I'd just call her by name.

And "breakfast". When someone signs, "I had a big bitch this morning," it does make me stop and wonder.

Four SEE signs I see people starting to use a lot are the "if" sign, little finger under the eye: I don't see a lot of need for this sign but at least it is not easily confused.

The other three are "breakfast", "lunch", and "dinner". At least "dinner" isn't too bad, I mean the difference between going to the dentist and going to dinner doesn't make my eyebrows shoot up over my head.

Can't say the same thing for the other two. "Lunch either gets signed in front of the face where I"m not sure what the thumb and mouth are doing or they lay it to the side so they are saying they want to get a lesbian. I mean it is okay with me if that is what they want but I'm a married male, why would I go looking for one? And if she happened to be a friend I'd just call her by name.

And "breakfast". When someone signs, "I had a big bitch this morning," it does make me stop and wonder.
One does need to be careful with the initialized meal signs. :giggle:

One does need to be careful with the initialized meal signs. :giggle:

We were told in my ASL class to not initialize the meal signs. We were told to do "eat morning", "eat noon", and "eat night".

I think I got those right.

We were told in my ASL class to not initialize the meal signs. We were told to do "eat morning", "eat noon", and "eat night".

Yes, you're correct.

Berry described the SEE versions (also used by PSE signers).

I didn't realize this. My deaf teacher prefers the initialized signs. No grade involved here so I just use what's accepted in the deaf community where I live.

Anyone else see the silly face book sign? You use your dominant hand on your cheek like an opening book. Makes me laugh. My dictionary recommends F-B.

I didn't realize this. My deaf teacher prefers the initialized signs. No grade involved here so I just use what's accepted in the deaf community where I live.

Anyone else see the silly face book sign? You use your dominant hand on your cheek like an opening book. Makes me laugh. My dictionary recommends F-B.
I prefer F-B also.

Yes, a sign that makes people laugh tends to disrupt the conversation. :giggle:

Yes, you're correct.

Berry described the SEE versions (also used by PSE signers).

I did understand what he meant. Sorry.

I had forgotten that SEE used different signs than ASL at times.

Yep, we're told to do those as well. I asked my professor about the initialized signs (knowing what she would say, but wanted to see her face anyway. LOL) She just kind of cringed and her face twitched. Haha!

I only buy Dictionaries that specifically state they are ASL -- And I've seen all four (and other SEE signs) listed in them.

While I believe it is a good idea to know them when you see them, I don't use them and I don't encourage anyone else too.

I never heard SEE, let know me tell what is SEEE issuse? I thinks point? what is detail? I research find some study lots of best hard it. I am very study more research find information. I need to more how SEE issuses?

I see a lot of newcomers get confused by the group-classifiers, and rely on initialization to understand the concept rather than context.

Like the purist's version of "grouphome." A newcomer thought it meant the literal translation CLASS-HOME and got confused until it was re-done with the "G" hand-shape. :\

I never heard SEE, let know me tell what is SEEE issuse? I thinks point? what is detail? I research find some study lots of best hard it. I am very study more research find information. I need to more how SEE issuses?

I thought you started out with signed English and didn't learn ASL until 14.

You know the just mean Signed Exact English by SEE, right?

I thought you started out with signed English and didn't learn ASL until 14.

You know the just mean Signed Exact English by SEE, right?

yeah Yes you are exactly my age lol you are memory my life lol I am start to ASL :) I am full ASL :) normal bit SEE. I know :)

I see a lot of newcomers get confused by the group-classifiers, and rely on initialization to understand the concept rather than context.

Like the purist's version of "grouphome." A newcomer thought it meant the literal translation CLASS-HOME and got confused until it was re-done with the "G" hand-shape. :\

This just happened the other night when my daughter and I were trying to explain classifiers. The idea that a 3 handshape does not mean "car" it more closely means "vehicle" and they are saying, "But there is a huge difference between a two door sedan and a four door coup... There has to be a different classifier for each."

I'm not convinced they quite understand what the word "vehicle" means.

Problem is concepts are important to thinking. But English camouflages real concepts behind details to the point they are difficult to get to or discuss.

And once one concept is understood by the English speaker, attempting to explain more than one is involved, is difficult. To explain that ASL may not accept the same precedence becomes more difficult.

One gal could not believe the sign "kill" could mean both "execution" and "murder" because one is moral and one is not.

In English the moral concept of how and why the person was killed is more important than the concept that the person is just as dead -- No matter who kills them, or why.

ASL deals with the physical aspect, death, first, and the moral aspect later.

Anyway, another reason I like ASL: Concepts are important.

Sort of like the trees and the forest.

One gal could not believe the sign "kill" could mean both "execution" and "murder" because one is moral and one is not.

In English the moral concept of how and why the person was killed is more important than the concept that the person is just as dead -- No matter who kills them, or why.

execution: Court order to kill. <---- of course, no one want to hear that, so they call it execution or court order to put to death so they don't HAVE to hear the word kill.

Back