Found Local ASL Instructors for free!

Grayma

Reaction score
Two Mormon/LDS missionaries in our area claim to be fluent in ASL. They are teaching a class for free on Sunday afternoons, but we can't go then.

On a whim I called them and asked if they would like to come to my house once a week for supper, and after dinner they can tutor us in sign language. They agreed.

I'm relieved- no offense to any LDS members here, but we 'studied' with a previous set of missionaries for a year, and they've kind of been warned about us, so I was a little worried that they'd just say no. I think they have an extensive file folder about us troublemakers.:cool2:

I'm nervous- what if they aren't as fluent as they claim? What if they don't really know ASL, but SEE instead?
I'm not worried about them trying to convert us because we've been down that road before, and I know for a fact that an LDS friend of ours has already told them they shouldn't try.

But I'm excited, too, and very hopeful that this will be a good push for the whole family to improve our signing skills.

If they turn out to be, in fact, not fluent, will you recognize that?

If they turn out to be, in fact, not fluent, will you recognize that?

That's one of the things I 'm nervous about. It depends on how 'not fluent' they might be, you know?
Hmmmm. Maybe I could test them by asking them to sign a few of the sentences here:
"ASL Lesson 30" American Sign Language (ASL)
and then I would compare their signs to the video?

and then I could pick out an ASL video on youtube or somewhere that doesn't have subtitles and ask them to interpret it?

Mainly, I'm just hoping for some reinforcement of what we already know, and some added external motivation for the rest of the family for practicing daily. More than that would be gravy.

LDS missionaries usually get callings to go on ASL mission. Not all LDS missionaries on ASL missions are fluent in ASL. Some of them take ASL classes at a college or MTC (Mission Training Center) before they go on ASL mission. They teach each other together plus socialize with deaf members/ non members to improve their ASL skills. They are in process of learning ASL during their two years.

LDS missionaries or LDS members always give free ASL lessons on Sundays likely go to the Deaf branch or Deaf group at a church. Be sure to ask them about it. Everyone is welcomed to go to the ASL class at a church for fun. There is one thing you should know is that they do have their own LDS signs. LDS.org have tons of ASL version videos online, but they're not ASL lessons. Sorry about that.

Let them know your learning/practice goals, and tell them that it's okay if they don't know everything if they're basically good, but that they should let you know if they don't actually know. (It took me a long time to get comfortable telling my students I just don't know the Spanish word for "styrofoam" or "belt buckle" for example. Some things just don't come up often. LDS Missionaries tend to be younger, so may not quite have that confidence. I'm sure they're told to speak with authority and certainty, so they may not easily admit what they aren't sure of.)

Besides, you aren't contracting them for life, if it isn't right, then stop doing it.

LDS missionaries usually get callings to go on ASL mission. Not all LDS missionaries on ASL missions are fluent in ASL. Some of them take ASL classes at a college or MTC (Mission Training Center) before they go on ASL mission. They teach each other together plus socialize with deaf members/ non members to improve their ASL skills. They are in process of learning ASL during their two years.

LDS missionaries or LDS members always give free ASL lessons on Sundays likely go to the Deaf branch or Deaf group at a church. Be sure to ask them about it. Everyone is welcomed to go to the ASL class at a church for fun. There is one thing you should know is that they do have their own LDS signs. LDS.org have tons of ASL version videos online, but they're not ASL lessons.

Thanks. I remember now, I did ask the girl who called how they learned ASL. She took classes for nearly two years before her mission, and she says she spent a lot of time in the deaf community where she lived (I did not think to ask where that was), then she and her fellow missionary also took the 9 week course at the MTC.

I'm thinking probably not what you'd all call fluent, but far enough in advance of me that it will help me continue to learn each week.

So far as I know, there are no Deaf/deaf in my town. I wish there were.

Had our first lesson tonight. I wouldn't say she's fluent, and if I can tell, then that's probably not so great. But she does know more than me, and that's a help. She also used to date a deaf boy when she was in school.

Unfortunately, she's leaving soon, but until then, she'll meet with us twice a week, and that does give my family somebody besides Mom to perform for.

Back