Forum Request for "Stem Cell Discussion"

SteveESP52

Reaction score
I would like to suggest a new forum be opened for "Stem Cell Discussion". I believe this would be a great addition to the All Deaf Web Site.

My current concern is the Cochlear Implant and Hearing Aid Forum recently has had a lot of off forum posts regarding Stem Cell Topics. While I understand there is a belief that Stem Cells will eventually be the "cure" as some have posted, I have read of no results of it being widely used or being successful to a point of being a realistic alternative.

I have benefited greatly in reading how others have shared their experiences with HAs and CIs and the information helped me make a more informed decision to pursue a CI to see if it could improve my ability to hear sounds. I hope others can choose to use All Deaf as a source of information to help them make more informed decisions but currently the information is hard to find through all the "Stem Cell" talk and with some discrediting the success of CIs.

Hopefully others feel the same way in that adding a forum for "Stem Cell Discussion" would be beneficial to the site. I am sure some do based on the comments I have read in response to some of the comments.
Steve

Well, we have had some few threads about stem cell under "HA and CI" as well as "On-Topic Debates" subforum. I don't see any reason why we should add a new subforum for "Stem Cell Discussion".

Also stem cells are NOT just only for hearing part, it can also be used for other reasons such as blindness.

I hope this clears up for you. :)

I completely agree. It is very annoying that certain posters continually force feed us their beliefs regarding Stem Cells and have nothing positive about CI's. The CI forum should be for those interested in CI's and those that are interested in stem cell therapy need their own.

There are 2 particular posters that bombard the rest of us constantly about how stem cell therapy is 'just around the corner'.. well yay... but please post it elsewhere. OR they're telling us repeatedly to get our HA's adjusted or buy new aids.. AS IF WE HAVEN'T TRIED THAT!

Well, we have had some few threads about stem cell under "HA and CI" as well as "On-Topic Debates" subforum. I don't see any reason why we should add a new subforum for "Stem Cell Discussion".

Also stem cells are NOT just only for hearing part, it can also be used for other reasons such as blindness.

I hope this clears up for you. :)

Yes, I'm certain everyone is aware that stem cell therapy has potential for many uses including hearing loss. All the more reason for Stem Cell Therapy to have it's own category - those that are interested in the topic can post there much like those that are interested in assistive listening devices post in a separate category and not under CI.

Essentially the CI folder has become a battle ground for a few trying to push their own agenda which is unfair to those of us that seek information on CI's.

Back