Former deaf Europeans who have moved permanently in the USA

Reaction score
dear deafs!

I kindly ask all of you if you know people deaf of European origins who for whatever reason have moved to the united states. I would like to open a topic that interests me and that I can compare with these people.

I hope to find this gift under the Christmas tree :D

I'm HoH not deaf, but I'm from Ireland and now live in the US if that counts?

Whole family is from Romania.... "Eastern Europe" I'm a little worried about what you'd like to find under your Christmas tree that migrated Europeans could provide... :laugh2:

Or what topic you're wanting to bring up..... :hmm:

saavik all counts! no problem :) I want to compare with deaf people who have dealt with the transfer and understand the major difficulties in the new American life, for example: location, social acclimatization, impact with deaf culture etc....

mewtilation, Fortunately, everything is virtual and therefore I do not care about the presents under the tree :D

I would like to discuss the topic, see my answer to Saavik ...

There is no one who wants to tell his story? it is important for us deaf, so we help each other .....

If you would like write me in PM .....

i

Is this a theoretical discussion in various "deaf cultures" in countries around the world?

Which country should be the "standard" which other should follow?

aside: Since I live in Canada perhaps some members can duly advise others how "deaf culture" is actualized here.

There is no one who wants to tell his story? it is important for us deaf, so we help each other .....

If you would like write me in PM .....

i
Maybe they're waiting for your story first. If, as you say it is important for deaf to share, than you can start the ball rolling with your story. Where are you from?

oh .... So my story is very banal nothing exceptional. my deafness began when I was 8 months, bilateral deep but thanks to a residual hearing (most of the deaf have it even if you do not know) I have been able to exploit with hearing aids along with a speech therapy. During these therapies I could make obligatory public schools and universities, with some difficulty. during his university years I have also learned French fairly "flowing", learning other languages ​​for fun (with many gaps grammar): German, Spanish, Italian, and even English. all in just 39 years of life .... :D
I now live and work in Italy ....

if i come to Italy would you host me for a few days/weeks? and go to that ferrari factory, some wineries and some famous art places
..this is like 5 years away

impossible! for two obvious reasons: first, fundamental, is that you're not a woman! :D

the second is that they are so rich. :lol:

where did you come up this idea?:roll:

In my circle of girlfriends, including my roommate, there are the 4 of us. I was born and raised in good ol' U.S.A. My roommate is from Puerto Rico. Our two other girlfriends are from the Philippines and El Salvator.

I know so many deaf people from all over the world who have moved to the USA.

In my circle of girlfriends, including my roommate, there are the 4 of us. I was born and raised in good ol' U.S.A. My roommate is from Puerto Rico. Our two other girlfriends are from the Philippines and El Salvator.

I know so many deaf people from all over the world who have moved to the USA.

thank you! I was sure that many deaf people around the world have moved to the U.S.

in your circle of friends you have any deaf coming from Europe, please can you put me contact with them? even in MP ....

I suppose I'm still trying to establish what exactly you're looking for.

My entire family is from Romania as I said previously. However, I don't really think I've experienced any difficulties nor have they in regards to moving to the USA. In Romania, you're taught either English, German or French starting in 2nd grade, so most choose English. Therefore, most Romanians are bilingual by default so to speak. So even language isn't a difficulty when you think about it. A lot of countries teach English at a young age. What kind of difficulties are you suggesting or wanting to hear of exactly? :hmm:

try to think the opposite: a deaf American who wants to move to Europe but do not know where to go, what to do, who to ask, how to overcome the difficulties arising from the handicap, who to ask for help, how to deal with the laws as relate the difficulties of a normal hearing with their own difficulties .....
For example, you are Romanian, and you moved in the usa: What difficulties have you encountered in spite of deafness?

maybe I'm not so good at explaining.....

I have no clue, but I haven't really experienced any difficulties. :dunno2: Aside from what Deaf or foreign people go through on the daily here as is... haven't really had anything too terrible. Sometimes I get dirty looks when speaking Romanian to my family, but that's usually anybody who speaks a foreign language. :dunno2:

I'm simply stating that I don't think what I've gone through in being Romanian or what my family went through is any different than someone who was born here in the USA has. :dunno2: Maybe I just live in a really lax area or something. :dunno2: It seems you might be trying to find someone to relate to on this topic... like you've had difficulties moving from the European area into the USA. What exactly has been your experience? I know before my family moved they mapped and planned out every little detail before making the move. Then they came and visited and stayed in a hotel looking for a place to move and took care of everything like that. :dunno2:

Back