Forgot to turn off the water?

Nancy

Reaction score
Have any of you forgot to turn off the water because you couldn't hear it running? Has it ever flooded your bathroom?

I read in About.com: Deafness/HOH that the guide, Jaime Berke, had this happened to her in this link:
http://deafness.about.com/cs/cochlearfeatures/a/cochlearimplant.htm

Here's her story:
Then I had a near-disaster in my house. I had been washing the dishes; when I finished, I went downstairs to use the computer. About 3 1/2 hours later, I needed to use the bathroom. The bathroom floor was a little wet. I thought it was my son, who had recently bathed his toys in the bathtub. I started mopping it up. Soon it became a flood I couldn't control. I looked around for the source. Tested the toilet and the sink. No leaks.

As the flood got worse, I sought a neighbor's help. The neighbor came into my house, looked around the basement bathroom, and suddenly stopped in her tracks. "I hear something!" She went into the playroom, flicked on the light, and showed me what she had heard - the water was cascading down the wall next to the bathroom and flooding into the bathroom! The source was upstairs. We raced upstairs, and she immediately found the source - the kitchen sink faucet had not been turned off after I did the dishes!

If I had gotten a cochlear implant, maybe I would have been able to hear the water running down the wall.

---> ME: A similiar thing happened to me too....I forgot to turn off the water in the bathroom sink. I wasn't wearing my hearing aid at the time so I couldn't hear anything. I was also tired at the time and going to bed. The next day, I received a note from my mother saying I will be paying her water bill because I forgot to turn it off. I am ok with paying it, but I didn't realize the water was running! I didn't hear it!

What about you?

Yes, early in the morning, I woke up and went to the bathroom to make a bath leaving water to fill it up, and I return to bed and fall asleep, until my Mother woke me up to tell me to take a mop to clean up now. :pissed:

Downstair is a Kitchen, a water leak in the plaster downstair ceiling leaving a big stain, and it is constant reminder for me! :ugh2:

:lol: I did forget to turn kitchen sink off but from on now I have to be careful cuz it did flooded onto kitchen floor mom was mad at me but eh I forgot to say twice 2nd time it almost flooded but lucky I remembered to turn the water off same go for work :squint:

This isn't unique to deaf people -- hearing people have it happen to them as well when they are distracted or tired. Hearing doesn't matter -- it's all in how much attention you're paying to what's going on around you.

I bet if someone wasn't so tired or busy they would have immediately checked upstairs for the source instead of thinking it was a little wet water left over by someone splashing water in a tub.

Key thing to remember -- NEVER let yourself get distracted when using water to fill something up.

I have forgotten few time but thank to my cat auburn make me look faucet same as bathroom faucet my another cat hearty will jump make me look at sink wow cats re smart whew

yeah, happened recently, water tank.. bottle water was low :o ,lucky, not much water if from sink s**t!

1st townhouse (own) 4th times.
2nd Farmhouse (rent) 7th times.
3rd Dwelling house (rent) ZERO... *knock woods*

That story doesn't make sense.

Why do people plug up their sinks when using water?

I kept forget to turn off the water in the bathroom or kitchen sink few times. It happened to me when my mind wander away. I don't have hearing aids. My daughter heard the water running coming from kitcken sink and she came to me "Mommy, you forgot to turn off the water from kitchen sink." Thanks to my daughter!

Dennis said:
This isn't unique to deaf people -- hearing people have it happen to them as well when they are distracted or tired. Hearing doesn't matter -- it's all in how much attention you're paying to what's going on around you.

That’s very true, but bear in mind that this very, very rarely happens to hearing people. If you were to ask hearing people how many times they’ve left a stopped sink and later returned to find the water overflowing, the vast majority of them will tell you that it’s only happened to them maybe two or three times in their entire life. It happens to deaf people a lot more than it happens to hearing people. Harlan Lane discusses this at some length in one of his books. Which just proves that it’s the sound which serves as the trigger to return to a running faucet, not the memory that it needs to be done. Hearing people don’t believe me when I tell them this—they think that they remember to turn the water off. They don’t realize that sound is the real stimulus that causes them to remember to shut it off.

I can’t for the life of me understand why sinks no longer have overflow safeties. I haven’t seen a sink that has one since probably the 70’s. I’ve even considered the possibility of drilling overflow holes in my sinks and afro-engineering my own.

Well, Lev, I hope you nor anyone else brings back those overflow sinks because it irks me to no end the amount of water wasted.

Tousi, that doesn’t make an iota of sense. The water is going to be wasted anyway if the user forgets to shut it off. Would you rather have it do thousands of dollars worth of damage to your house? Have you ever replaced a floor? Believe me—try it sometime and you will hating life for about two weeks.

Lev, people quickly learn to not let the water run after having the house flooded, etc vs being saved by your invention and continue to waste water. I'm not making sense, eh?

Hahahah reminds me of the aquarium leaking water through my bedroom floor though the kitchen nook cieling and it started when we were in the middle of dinner. Yeah the water was blue cause i had been treating the fish for ICH.

Happened in 76.

Finally I never leave the water running in my sinks w/o being there.

Richard

lol happened to me all the time.. my boyfriend have to remind me or let me know water is running.. sometime i didnt shut it off completely so theres thin flow of water so sometime our bill is pretty high cuz of it :-P

During winter time, we have to leave little water drip from a faucet in a bathroom and kitchen keep from froze at around 20's. I was a kid (maybe 3 or 4), my brother and I played with the water in the bathroom, we left water running on let it flow out from sink and flood on the floor. My mother was upset and my brother and I were in the doghouse. Once in a while, I forgot turn off the water. Ooops! :Oops:

VamPyroX said:
That story doesn't make sense.

Why do people plug up their sinks when using water?
Good question.

On the rare times that I use the stopper in a bathroom sink, those sinks have "overflow" drain holes near the top level.

In my bathtubs, they have overflows also.

In my kitchen sink, I use a plastic dishpan set into the sink basin. That way, any overflow water or splashes go into the sink, and then down the open drain.

Levonian said:
That’s very true, but bear in mind that this very, very rarely happens to hearing people.
True. I am hearing and 54 years old and I have never had a sink or tub overflow. Same for my hubby.

I can’t for the life of me understand why sinks no longer have overflow safeties. I haven’t seen a sink that has one since probably the 70’s. I’ve even considered the possibility of drilling overflow holes in my sinks and afro-engineering my own.
My house was built in 1990, and the bathroom sinks and tubs have overflow drains. Kitchen sinks don't. Is that what you mean?

It never had happen to me at home, But at work It did happened to me, My dad would go in the back and tell me he needs my help for a moment, But it was longer than a moment We got busy for about 30 minutes the most, and then I realized I left the water running back in the sink for dish washing, I went back there all three sink were over flowing of water. Opps! :Oops:

You're right about the modern bathtub never got that happened to me when the water is overflowing from my bathtub if I turn the water on running after I left. See that a circle abt 5" metal plate down below on the front side from facuet that is draining holes turnable clock from bottom or top around the line of two rectangles followed the circle for the water flows to go into the holes. Ofc, sometimes I do forget when I am busy around my home while the T.V. is on with the sounds. It depends how far distance walked away from the bathrm if it's with a lot of blocking walls, the more I hear less sound when if I go closer to the bathroom next to the hallway sound like a cave hollow from my room. Yes, I could hear it if T.V. is louder than the other sound I wouldnt hear it or if it's less sound, yes I can hear it. If you have to balance the sound off, so you can hear the other sound to watch over your shoulders. Sometimes, if you dont think of your responsibility, it will distract lost in your own mind.

Back