Forced out

Simown

Reaction score
You may not have seen me much recently and for a good reason, I have been busy at University. But, it is not all good news, from the end of next week I will not have a place at this University, I have no other option but to leave.

Let me explain:

I have been attending this university for the last 3 months and during that time the University were still unable to come up with the basic support I need. As you may well know, having a CI isn't the same as being able to hear, but they don't seem to understand that - because I can take some part in conversations, doesn't mean I can hear.

I required a notetaker during lectures - simple. They provided me with a supply notetaker for half my timetabled classes, who took average notes, for 9 weeks. I complained to them and they agreed they'd help me catch up until the exams I just sat. Now it's after exams and I have failed, badly, because of them, they didn't even provide a copy of someone elses notes and very little support. Infact, I missed the start of my first assignment this year because I wasn't even told.

Now, I have quit this University because I am under such a disadvantage not having the material or work covered to continue, they don't seem to have much of a clue how to deal with a deaf student (apparently they had one in the past in my department though).

I am refraining from any definite action against them just yet because I require a reference from them to go onto my next University, which has got to be better than this next year :aw:

If you managed to read all of that, what do you think?

I'm really sorry, but don't know what to think. Hoping you have much better luck in future.

I don't know what to think, either except I'm giving pause to ask why the very Uni that failed you would give you a recommendation to the next one.

It's not a recomendation, it's a necessary reference just because your last education establishment has to give one regardless. I don't really want to annoy them before then.

Is there a deadline before you can sue? I mean you can sue them AFTER being accepted to another university so I wonder about the deadline. Good luck.

Try and have chat with wolves or Preston uni, they may help.

I have same problem but i put my foot down. So far doing well.

did you notify them in advance for accommodation? preferably 2-3 months in advance

Is there a deadline before you can sue? I mean you can sue them AFTER being accepted to another university so I wonder about the deadline. Good luck.

I believe the deadline is 6 months after the "discrimination" - pretty sure so no immediate rush.

Try and have chat with wolves or Preston uni, they may help.

I have same problem but i put my foot down. So far doing well.

I will be contacting the next Uni I go to SO MUCH they won't be able to put a foot wrong :P Make sure you sort it out as a matter of urgency, I left it 2 months before I seriously complained which was a mistake.

did you notify them in advance for accommodation? preferably 2-3 months in advance

It was a hard decision to quit and that decision was only made this week. But, I believe they are sorting it so I am not billed or anything for accomodation or for teaching this term, I'll let you know.

I hope that this doesn't discourage you from finding a university that's a better fit and pursuing your education. Hang in there!

I believe the deadline is 6 months after the "discrimination" - pretty sure so no immediate rush.

I will be contacting the next Uni I go to SO MUCH they won't be able to put a foot wrong :P Make sure you sort it out as a matter of urgency, I left it 2 months before I seriously complained which was a mistake.

It was a hard decision to quit and that decision was only made this week. But, I believe they are sorting it so I am not billed or anything for accomodation or for teaching this term, I'll let you know.

Before you start your new uni, make sure they WILL provide you will the support. Like overthepond said, take a look at Preston/Wolverhampton. Or any other university, you had such a bad experience, I'm glad they may give you money back

This is very common in mainstream educational placements.
Are there any universities which have a fairly large dhh population that you could transfer to?
They would be better prepared to help you.

This is very common in mainstream educational placements.
Are there any universities which have a fairly large dhh population that you could transfer to?
They would be better prepared to help you.

I haven't seen any Universities I like that I know have got a fairly large dhh population but I will be contacting the next Universisty I go to pretty much constantly before to make sure they have everything in place, or I hope so.

no no that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you have notified your school in advance that you needed an accommodation. I've been to 7 colleges in 4 different states - all of them have a very few or no deaf students and I've never had a problem like this.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation but forgive me - I think there's something along the line that it may be your fault too.

no no that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you have notified your school in advance that you needed an accommodation. I've been to 7 colleges in 4 different states - all of them have a very few or no deaf students and I've never had a problem like this.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation but forgive me - I think there's something along the line that it may be your fault too.

Oh, yes. They were told weeks before I even got there and I had an assesment with the disability department there so they should have been prepared surely.

I assure you that my University has a problem with this. It my fault too? How so?

Oh, yes. They were told weeks before I even got there and I had an assesment with the disability department there so they should have been prepared surely.
weeks before? it's usually nice to do it at least 2-3 months beforehand because they have to find qualified people for you and to secure funding for it.

I assure you that my University has a problem with this. It my fault too? How so?
Your fault? I don't know but I guess we'll see as the story unravel

That sucks that just because you have a CI they assume you can hear. What is the name of this University?

btw - what kind of accommodation were you asking for? terp?

What a shame.

It is a perfect example of how hearing people can be so ignorant of Deaf people's needs. It is really simple..listen to the deaf person because the deaf person knows what they need. Hearing people do not know and do not need to make the decisions.

In my opinion, I think hearing peole who dont have any understanding of deafness have no business being in fields working with deaf people.

Isn't this another case of enforcement of existing ADA laws? Don't get me wrong because it sucks that this type of thing happens. But in my view doing nothing about it is only contributing to the problem.

http://www.ada.gov/enforce.htm

Sometimes the mere threat of action gets things moving.

Back