For those who needed HA's later..

needsleep

Reaction score
How did you know it was time to get them?

I'm sitting on the fence of "do or don't" here and while I can understand people if they are looking right at me most of the time, other than some really wild mishearings (apparently "Poor Kristin" sounds like "f*** my skin" to me...that was a tough one to explain...), I often have to ask people to repeat themselves several times. I hate using the phone these days and downright refuse to sometimes. I dread taking orders at work (I'm a waitress at a restaurant/bar), I can't hear the other sections of my strings group to fit in with them or tell if we're in tune together, and apparently I turn the TV and radio up too loud for my friends.

But I'm still functional. At what point does a girl need to shell out the money for HA's? I'm making another appointment with my audi. My ASL teacher, a speech pathologist and ex-terp with a really great attitude towards Deaf culture, told me I should explain just how frustrated I am. Said I need to point out how "active" my situation is and that I should seriously discuss HA's with him.

Does anyone have some advice for me as I begin sorting through this? I'd provide my chart but it's out of date.....

:ty: so much for any help anyone can give me on this one. Definitely feeling lost

I say if it's limiting your day to day functioning and your job it's time to get some. With mild loss you might be ok but just be aware, hearing aids won't help all that much in those same situations. There is an adjustment period to get used to all of the sounds you will now hear that your brain doesn't filter for you any longer. I would make sure you get some that have settings you can adjust since you work in a noisy environment.

Seems like you're over due to get them. I know they're expensive, but, unless you never want to get HAs, now is the time.

Wow, I didn't expect "overdue" at all! I figured I was making a mountain out of a molehill or something. You think so? Geez...

Last time I went in, the doctor just sent me to a bunch of websites that basically taught you how to lipread. :-/

Wow, I didn't expect "overdue" at all! I figured I was making a mountain out of a molehill or something. You think so? Geez...

Last time I went in, the doctor just sent me to a bunch of websites that basically taught you how to lipread. :-/

If they're sending you websites such as that then it sounds like it's obvious to everyone but you. My experience tells me that people that need HA later in life rarely buy them. If you don't care what you're missing out on then keep doing what you're doing. If the doctor is giving you websites for lip reading then may he doesn't think you'll buy them either, but they are worth it; at some point in everyone's life - those that have never worn HA - will need them. They're really no different from eyeglasses so I wouldn't worry about the stigma if that's what's holding you back.

Laura

I'm sitting on the fence of "do or don't" here and while I can understand people if they are looking right at me most of the time, other than some really wild mishearings (apparently "Poor Kristin" sounds like "f*** my skin" to me...that was a tough one to explain...), I often have to ask people to repeat themselves several times.

Your first sentence alone tells me it's time for them. I'm glad you're going to see your audi again. Get an updated audiogram and figure out where you are at. You may need nothing more than mild-loss HAs, who knows.

Wait, an ENT did? or an audi? but either way that's freaking bizarre, they sent you to websites to learn to lipread instead of discussing hearing aids?? I mean, really, that's just bizarre.

But to answer you question, when my hearing in my right ear started to go, that's when I had to have people repeat themselves, had a hard time on the phone, it was rather obvious really.

My audi said that. Struck me as really wierd too but I tried it out anyway...

I hate missing everything! It's so lonely. :( I guess I just wanted to see what someone with experience on this side of the situation thought. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it and will start saving for them. Hopefully I won't just get brushed off or something... I almost feel like that's what the lipreading thing was. Maybe not though. It was weird to me but I'm new at this so I could only guess...

Are you suffering from a cookie bite loss? Mid-frequency? This sounds so remarkably like my own adjustment to hearing aids and stuff too. :) Either way, I can totally related to how you are feeling. Everyone pretty much gave a clear reason to look into some.

That is my problem, however, I was putting off getting HAs it seemed like forever because I was dreading how I could afford them, and etc.. I finally gave in and said, "I'm getting them." I've adjusted pretty well and while I still get a few problems with them (with a mid-frequency loss, HAs are sometimes not helpful to me at times), they've been a good investment.

First off, an audi (or ENT?) that gives you a website to work on lipreading would be the last time I visit that audiologist...just sounds too strange to me.

The thing is with my mild loss (my left ear, mid-frequency loss) is very similar to your situation - I can hear very well mostly out of it until people are talking and if I get tinnitus...then I have to ask for a repeat because my right ear feels useless at work. :P

I work at a restaurant too and I was a very active server on the floor. I got to where I missing orders and getting so lost. It also didn't help that my other ear is in the moderate to severe range...I just could no longer hear people normally anymore.

I invested in one hearing aid for my right ear and it proved to be gem to help me out. I was hearing sounds I hadn't heard in long time and it was nice. The problem came when I started to adjust to both hearing aids that working in the restaurant gave me a headache because it was amplifying sounds I didn't need in the frequency. I've learned to adjust to wearing my HAs when I need them - I don't wear the one of my left ear in busy places because it can still "work" fine by itself until people are talking and I only need one HA at work so far. However, there are days that I cannot follow much and need both because my right ear has been giving me so many problems lately.

But when I was not hearing what the "music was saying" and where I had to have my phone on loudspeaker to hear people talk, that was when I searched for help and was able to get HAs funded. I make payments on mine as well. :)

It is time to look into some HAs, even for a mild loss. Just make sure you don't jump on the first set of HAs they give you. Do a bit a research about what type of HAs you would like and etc... :)

I am only wearing one HA as I have TMJ and it's too painful to wear a HA in my right ear. My audi told me I will loss more hearing if I do not wear a HA in my right ear part of the day, it has gotten worst and I can no longer use my right ear to talk on the phone and wearing a HA does not help anymore. I was born HOH and I was told my hearing would not get a lot worst as I get older . I am really not sure if not wearing a HA in my right ear has cause me loss to more hearing . I have no idea if this could happen to you too, but I thought I would let you know anyway.

When it was giving me headaches to lip read SO much and was frustrated not hearing people I went and got hearing aids :)

Great! Thanks for sharing your stories guys! It really is helping me a ton. Even though a bunch of my family is hoh, I'm the first one to say, "alright, that's about enough of that!" and actually DO something about it so I'm in waaay over my head, it feels like!

KikLove--Are you my twin or something?! haha I'm not sure about the "shape" of my loss is at this point but now I'm super curious to see if it is the same! How interesting!

Kik- I do the same thing. I have a severe-profound loss but my right side is worse than my left...not by much. So, If I'm too overwhelmed I take my left out ( its the better ear *but* my aid is currently getting upgraded to a UP naida instead of the SP) since my UP is in my right and the SP naida for my left sucks the big one. If I have one on it mitigates more background noise and I'm not as easily frustrated. Although I'm still frustrated often with my lack of hearing with the hearing aids on. Ah well what can ya do!

KikLove--Are you my twin or something?! haha I'm not sure about the "shape" of my loss is at this point but now I'm super curious to see if it is the same! How interesting!

I actually am not allowed to serve anymore, actually. I host now (which isn't much better) because I cannot hear orders correctly anymore unless it is quiet...:laugh2: I love having my old position back but I cannot use a headset anymore when helping call for tables so we've invested in learning some basic signs to use when we are busy...some ASL and others ones we've made up ourselves. Like if I cannot hear them since I lead the host team, I will ask, "How many?" and they respond with a number that helps me find a spot for the people.

Our new hostesses are embarrassed by the signs at first because we get people staring at us all the time, but this is about all my knowledge of ASL is at the moment but the visual aids help all of us - whether it is myself or the others in the loud work.

Is your loss low-frequency, mid-frequency, or high-frequency? Not everyone's loss is the same...it could be possible you have a loss in all frequencies. Ask your audiologist next time you visit. I'm not an expert on hearing loss, it is just that I can relate very well to you. I just recently within the last year and and half have adjusted to becoming HOH. I'm the only one who is HOH (that will admit it anyways) in my immediate family besides a third cousin who was born deaf but that genetic gene is not in relation to my side. I have family who have hearing loss due to age but them admit that? Yeah right.

Kik- I do the same thing. I have a severe-profound loss but my right side is worse than my left...not by much. So, If I'm too overwhelmed I take my left out ( its the better ear *but* my aid is currently getting upgraded to a UP naida instead of the SP) since my UP is in my right and the SP naida for my left sucks the big one. If I have one on it mitigates more background noise and I'm not as easily frustrated. Although I'm still frustrated often with my lack of hearing with the hearing aids on. Ah well what can ya do!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Having both in and especially in the better ear at times makes me so irritated I take both out and times and just relax my ears. I'm sorry to learn you are frustrated...I more than enough residual hearing left that I can cope with it - I haven't learned to read lips though I need to try to get a bit better even though to me it doesn't do any good - but I've also learned to just be like, "I'm losing my hearing, so what? I'll learn to compensate and go on with life." The only problem I have is when people "whisper" and talk low around me, acting like I can hear them/understand them...or even talk about me.

Kik - that's actually neat that your workplace started using visual queues. I wish my workplace did that. I was simply told that I need to get my hearing "fixed" - And they didn't go through me to tell me, they went through my fiancee at the time.

For me, I did have HA's growing up, but I never really wore them much. I got a pair on my own when I found out that my insurance could help me with them and I was long overdue for a new pair.

I think you know it's time to get them when you are having more difficulty in hearing things and you have friends/family/coworkers pointing it out to you too. They can take a bit to get used to but they are defiantly worth the investment.

I'm in a point like that as well. Lately it's interfering with work a bit now with some new responsibilities. So for income reasons, it's becoming a necessity to do something soon. But away from the office, not sure I'll use them so much. I'm active, but not outgoing, so it's not going to affect lots of people, but those who remain in the inner-circle will have to adapt as I do.

I've made my appointment. One month from today. I live a bit away from home now and don't want to have to switch so I scheduled for the same weekend I'll be home for a visit.

I'm just worried he won't take me seriously. I do fairly well in quiet so I'm worried my tests and the one-on-one chatting in the office will convince him I'm full of it or something (apparently that's a thing, faking deafness. Didn't know about that until I read those threads a few months ago. Weird people out there...) My adviser said to make sure I'm tell I g him about the directional issues, the misheard words, the frustration at work and in my music, getting lost in class, etc... but is that enough to be able to get the help I now know I need?

This sucks. I really hope he believes me and doesn't blow me off with more of what I got last time. :'(

I had HAs since I was in kindergarten but went from after high school on without them (was bullied as a kid and in denial that I needed them) then about 3 years ago I noticed my hearing went down even more to the point that I could not function without HA. Once I did get one again I could actually function more in the hearing world. But keep in mind its only a tool and wont cure you, you'll still have to fill in the blanks but it does help.

My advice is to look into a place that does in house financing and will allow you to make payments on them. They are pricey but if your still not sure, go to a place that allows you to do a trial period for free. That's what helped me make my decision.

I've made my appointment. One month from today. I live a bit away from home now and don't want to have to switch so I scheduled for the same weekend I'll be home for a visit.

I'm just worried he won't take me seriously. I do fairly well in quiet so I'm worried my tests and the one-on-one chatting in the office will convince him I'm full of it or something (apparently that's a thing, faking deafness. Didn't know about that until I read those threads a few months ago. Weird people out there...) My adviser said to make sure I'm tell I g him about the directional issues, the misheard words, the frustration at work and in my music, getting lost in class, etc... but is that enough to be able to get the help I now know I need?

This sucks. I really hope he believes me and doesn't blow me off with more of what I got last time. :'(

If he doesn't believe you, find another audi that does. That is just not professional. Talking one on one in a sound proof booth is not real life. Your test should include the hearing exam where they have you respond to tones in your ear as well as repeating words they say. It's not about talking to them that determines if you have hearing loss or not. If they don't do the hearing tests, don't use them.

I dont see what you need to see the same person. go somewhere else. Its your time and money. You should get the results you paid for.

Back