For a Deaf Son

logtar

Reaction score
I watched the movie and had to write a reaction paper for my ASL class. I have posted a couple of things on my weblog and well, I wanted to share my thoughts with all of you.

More than anyone else I would like your opinion on my paper, because I am writting about a subject where I am really an outsider... so I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

http://blog.logtar.com/index.php?p=339

Could you clarify what that movie is about? I'm not sure if I've seen it. Perhaps, a hint might refresh my memory. :dunno:

if you go read the post there is a lot of information about the movie, and a lot of other background.

Annotation The life of four-year-old Thomas Tranchin, born deaf to a hearing family, and the struggle of the producer/director to unlock Thomas’ speech capacities is documented through home video of therapy sessions, classrooms, and workshops. Their struggle in the decision of whether to educate Thomas in sign language versus strictly verbal speech is also documented. Therapists and other families with deaf children are also interviewed. 1/2″ VHS

I watched 'For my Deaf Son' as part of my Psychology of Deafness class. I am saddened and shocked to hear that he is no longer with us. I have posted the news on my class' discussion board. I assume that my prof was likewise unaware of Tommy's death, since he mentioned his anticipation of a sequel.

I think I might have seen this in my Deaf culture class. Does it feature a mother sobbing b/c her son has to learn Sign? Does it feature a kid from CID who talks about how he's wicked gratful for his parents and how he likes to cut the crass (grass)? That is sad that Tommy committed sucide... You know, I know logtar said that he didn't believe that cultral attitudes may have played a factor in his decision, but on the other hand......I just don't know. His mother seemed to be such a classic " Oh my poor wittle baby is speshal" mom. Attitudes like that can and do effect kids. Maybe if his mother hadn't been that way, but had accepted his disabilty head on, he would not be dead. "Healthy normal" attitudes like that can really do harm to a kid. Kids can and do pick up on stuff like that, and that's probaly why there's such a high rate of depression among deaf people (even people who've been deaf since childhood) I mean I have a precondilition to depression, but I really really do think that the healthy normal attitude which my parents had when I was little really contribuated to my depression :(

DeafDyke, yea you have the right movie. You make an excellent point, but it is hard to establish how much of it really affected Tommy. Parents have to be able to express their frustrations and thought without it necessarily meaning that they have the attitude towards the kid. Educating a child is not an easy task.

deafdyke said:
Does it feature a mother sobbing b/c her son has to learn Sign?

Oh please, please, pleeeeze—just give me 5 fucking minutes with one of these parents. I realize that it’s immature and antisocial to want to bitchslap one of these freaks around, but it would give me soooo much pleasure.

Last edited:
How did the son die? Can you tell me more about the movie? I haven't see it before.
Thanks
Leah

Levonian, I know exactly what you mean. I sometimes want to throttle those parents.

Does this movie is at any rental store that I can rent it from to see it? Because, I never heard of that movie before not that I know of.

deafdyke said:
Levonian, I know exactly what you mean. I sometimes want to throttle those parents.

No shit—is it any small wonder the kid committed suicide? :roll:

You see, I totally disagree with you on this. I am not sure why the kid commited suicide but I do not blame it on deafness or the parents reaction towards it. I am sure there was other stuff involved. If you take time and read what I have posted, you will see that you do not have all the information you need by just watching the movie. You cannot make all the assumptions.

but I do not blame it on deafness or the parents reaction towards it. I am sure there was other stuff involved.
Oh yes, there always is other stuff involved. Some people may have a predisposition to depression......but on the other hand opression and not being accepted CAN strongly influence personal feelings. I know because I went through this myself. My parents bought into the whole oral deaf thing, lock, stock and barrel. Along with oral deafness, came the unspoken relief that I didn't have to learn a "speshal" language and that everything was fine and dandy b/c I was "healthy and normal" now. I picked up on this, and it really affected my self-esteem enormously. The attitude that there's nothing of value in the Sign/ Deaf world and that the only thing that mattered was functioning (even if only superfically) like a hearing person really really affects a dhh kid! I mean I did read somewhere that there's a high rate of mental illness in the oral deaf population. While some of the illness might be accounted for by genetic factors, I think that enviromentally caused mental illnesses (like depression, and substance abuse) are probaly rampent b/c of the healthy normal attitude that's so prevailent in oral methods. Yes, some of the people who have depression or comitted sucide might have done so even if they were raised by parents who accepted their kids hearing loss and situtions, but I think that the "healthy normal" attitude really really influences kids. Remember, depression and stuff like that can be enviormentally caused! It's not just being predisposed to it.

I have read some replied on your bldg. and One person who said that the boy's parent aren't at fault for his commit suicide that the family struggled with his hearing loss as all hearing parents do. (which that is full of BS). It isn't that hard to put your deaf child in the right path.

I replied on your blog. to that person (bitchJen)

logtar, I did not find a video that I can see in your website. :confused:

I Second That Cheri

Cheri I Didnt Find It Either I Apllaud You That What Ever Jen Bitch Is Talking Bout .

Levonian said:
No shit—is it any small wonder the kid committed suicide? :roll:

I kindof disagree. Depression is usually biologically caused. there is this chemical in the brain called serotonin. if the person produces too little of the chemical, then that's how depression takes place. I suffer depression myself and I think I also might have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I have done a lot of research on depression and it is a biologically based illness. But what I can say it is the enviroment that the person lives in will contribute to the severity of the depression. IOf the person has parents who really care for him and are always there for him and give him emotional support, the chances of that kid receiving help and treatment are enormous. But if you live in an environment like mine. I just called my dad today and said to him, "I think my depression is coming back." And he said "GET OVER IT!" Do you think that was very nice, now my mom is a lot better with my depression, I love my mom. But my dad, he is an asshole. My home environment with my dad is terrible and he doesn't care about anybody but himself. Now in this kindof environment the kid might have suicidal thoughts, cutting his or herself and may even attempt suicide.

Jes, yes it's nature but there's also a very strong NURTURE componet as well!
I mean I have depression but have gotten along without meds a few times, when I was in a happy enviroment and when I really thrived.

Back