FM Systems.. Yay or Nay?

It also depends on what kids actually do at that age... I mean, music, school and so on should be a chance to stay with other kids, learn simple rules to get along with others, and play, play, play. Language is everywhere around these things, being it oral or sign, so I personally don't feel the need to give him more at the moment... And mine is profound. I think a child who has a good access to sound plus singing doesn't really need an FM system, which may cut him out from the group of kids, who are the main reason he is there...
I know parents who use FM at school for their 3 yo, especially in loud situations (lunch, gym and similar), but they have CI and are oral only, so the situation is quite different.

I used to wear the FM system and hated it so much. I did destroy the tiny hole of FM box on purpose and lost two FM receivers. I did lie to a bitch speech teacher that I did pay for lost FM receivers and she bought it. LOL :giggle:

I know someone did lose a FM system and had to pay $600 to get it replaced. :eek3:

On the last day of school, someone dared to damage the FM system and no one knew who did it prior to today. :naughty: (of course, it was not me).

I quit wearing hearing aids since I was in the early 20's due to giving me some headaches. My mom got pissed off because I made a decision on not wearing HAs anymore. But, eventually, she got used to it anyway.

I am a current FM user and devotee of them, and I have experience with a modern up to date system, which bear in mind some of the anti-FM posters (by no means all) don't have recent experiences only experiences from school days.

I've used FM for 21 years and it has certainly evolved over time!!

The balance of whether he can hear anything else other than the FM system's input is a question for the audiologist to fine tune using the hearing aid's programming software and the FM system software, e.g. in Phonak's case FM Successware. It is certainly possible to have a split FM program so he has direct access in the hearing aids to the primary sound source (say e.g. a teacher) but also has hearing aid mics active so that if there is an environmental sound, a comment from another child, etc. he accesses those too. The software helps to balance the two signals the way you (and later he) wants them so that it might be 50/50 or 60% the FM input and 40% environmental noise, etc. On some systems you can change this balance yourself for different situations depending if the surrounding noise is likely to be valuable to him or distracting and pointless. You can set to have an FM only option like what most posters are referring to where all you hear is the FM signal and all other sound is blocked and the hearing aid mics are off, and there is very little use for that except in a really loud environment.

You need to be sure he can understand what is coming down the FM and any input which is coming through the hearing aid mic and that he can distinguish them from each other, that no signal is too overbearing, and that is a fine balance difficult to manage with a small child, but possible with patience and experience. His thresholds with hearing aids look pretty good so you will be able to speak to him with simple commands down the FM to check if he's receiving a useful input.

Modern FMs also have a lot of features which are helpful to parents of young children like being able to monitor the system to ensure he's properly plugged in and switched on, automatic program switching so if anyone speaks into the FM it activates straight away at the hearing aids, deactivating buttons so he can't end up in the wrong listening program, etc. which removes a lot of the concerns about FM with young children.

You can read a lot of opposing literature on the subject, interested parties like Phonak have published a lot of research on the benefits of FM with young children, but of course they have a certain interest in positive results! :naughty: If you have an opportunity to try it and see without a massive financial investment then I'd go for it, but ensuring you have an experienced audiologist (including experience fitting FM) onside to try it with, it's certainly not "fit and go" and many with older experiences of FM will have been given fit and go systems with limited control which made them not at all useful. I wear my FM boots all the time and I use them to listen to everything, TV, computer, my daughter, conferences, college classes, etc. they are the most indispensible aspect of my whole overall hearing aid experience, but it didn't come easy.

The other thing is to make sure that people don't use the FM as a Get out of Jail Free card to no longer support his communication needs. There's a good chance he needs the FM and visuals and lipreading and sign support, not instead of those things, so he should still try to sit close to the speaker with a good view in good lighting, etc. and people sometimes forget that. FM might support the sound signal in less ideal environments, for example if you did go to the farm you expect noisy animals, he needs time to listen to the animal noises but also would benefit from a clean signal for you to talk to him without that being talking over the animal noises. It also gives him more freedom to roam and still hear, like if there is a game involving instructions and moving around the room.

Used well it can be very good, used badly it can be very bad. You have to get it set well and then use it advisedly in situations where it is beneficial and know when to turn it off, which is often the difficult part outside of dhh programs. Mainstream schools get the FM and slap it on at all times, and that's where it all starts to go wrong, but that's not his environment so it may well be very useful.

I like the FM system in fact and I have the Phonak Inspiro FM
maybe your son can try that one since I found this one very neat and it's childproof.

here are the features that the Inspiro has
inspiro - Features | Phonak - life is on

I thought it was better than the crappy FM transmitter I had before (Phonak Campus S)

or if you want, he can try the Oticon Amigo FM
Oticon
I know this FM unit looks like an Ipod LOL!!!!!!!!!!

In my personal experience using FM systems, I never liked them at all. I had constant problems with it. One of my main problems with the FM system was static. I couldn't hear very well while the teacher is talking and moving around in the class room due to static. The more the teacher moves around, the worst the static got.

Sometimes the FM system was too quiet for me, I don't know if it's because of the connection to the microphone or what. The school that i go to always assume that because I'm complaining too much about the FM system means i don't want to wear it. I mean, I don't want to wear it if it keeps giving me problems, but if it's working fine, then i'll wear it. That's my rule with FM systems. But I still have an FM system available for me at school, I just never use it because i don't like it. It's up to you really, Yes it is helpful for other people, but for me, it wasn't really the right kind of support i needed. I'm perfectly fine with having an interpreter and no FM system.

Also figured I'd ask if you have been given listening tubes for your son's hearing aids. I thought that was an absolute given for paediatric fittings, but I am surprised to find more and more people who have never been given a listening set and hadn't realised you could even do that. They cost very little (I guess about $15 depending on taxes) and you can then put each hearing aid on the end of the tube or stethoscope listening set and listen in to check the signal is good, without interference, any FM volume seems well balanced with the mic input, noise is coming out and the whole thing is not clogged up with wax or moisture or anything, and all the programs are working.

Your hearing is protected by volume reduction built into the set and it will probably sound odd because it's trying to compensate for the missing bits of his hearing, plus it's coming along a very long tube, but it's a vital piece of equipment for anyone who has a child or other person not able to articulate any problems with their hearing aid/implant e.g. older child with learning disability, parent with dementia, etc. (you can to a certain extent listen to a CI processor but you need to be sure what you are listening for because it doesn't replicate the output heard by the owner in the way listening to a hearing aid does). It's useful to listen to a child's hearing aids regularly so you know what they normally sound like and can comment on what seems different about them if the aren't working correctly.

Most of the FM systems I had were very good and quite useful in work. The current FM system that I was evaluating has microphones on the receiver side that can be used to hear your peers. The Comfort Contego for example uses digital communication with a zoom microphone both in the transmitter and the receiver. You could use a transmitter to act as a conference microphone to hear people around the table. There are accessories that will allow FM systems to attach to TV, AV equipment or to the telephone using both ears to follow the conversation. While this may not work for some, I meet a few HOH professionals that this system can be idea for their line of work.

Also figured I'd ask if you have been given listening tubes for your son's hearing aids

I've been looking for that damn thing for a while but can't find it... Can you please give a link to some site that sells it? It would be useful right now, my son's HAs keep whistling and I can't figure out if it's wax, moisture or the earplugs becoming small again...

Sorry for going OT!

I thought it was a spam post because we have gotten several of those before from companies trying to advertise. I didnt know you were an actual user as I didnt see your introductory thread.

sorry I didn't do an introductory thread. I did have a couple of thread where I asked about different subjects. such as the thread about how my son only got 1 fm boot when he has bilateral hearing loss. and the thread about my son substituting the "d" for the "b" sound. I think I remember you commenting on those thread.

Can you please give a link to some site that sells it?

Your location is listed as Italy so you can definitely get a delivery from UK company Connevans Stetoclip hearing aid listeners - connevans.co.uk but no idea if that is the most economical way to buy one and if there is anyone closer to you, I'd have thought you could get one through an audiologist but sometimes it seems as if they have never heard of such a thing.

They are also in hearing aid care kits that seem to be popular on eBay at the moment, but they are the single tubes, and I think the listening sets are so much better personally.

Is this is what you looking for?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Hearing-Aid-Stethoscope/dp/B0001AGM9C]Amazon.com: Hearing Aid Stethoscope: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

I've been looking for that damn thing for a while but can't find it... Can you please give a link to some site that sells it? It would be useful right now, my son's HAs keep whistling and I can't figure out if it's wax, moisture or the earplugs becoming small again...

Sorry for going OT!

Dear all,

Seeing as how this thread is from 2011. Do any of you have any altered opinions from new technology? Still anti FM? Or did it get better?

Some good points for a 'big person' trying to help a small one here... I have a two year old now and am just going through the same questions as @Mandamay28.

Cheers.a

Back