Fla. Child in Custody of Biological Mother

Mommyof3

Reaction score
ATLANTIC BEACH, Fla. - The adoptive mother of a 3 1/2-year-old boy at the center of a custody dispute tearfully handed the boy to his biological mother on Saturday, then dropped to the ground and repeatedly screamed: "How can they do this to a little boy?"

Evan, bundled in a blue jacket and sucking on a pacifier, was carried outside by Dawn Scott, who along with her husband, Gene, cared for the child for most of his life. The couple had appealed a judge's ruling transferring custody to the biological parents.

News crews had gathered around the Scotts' home Saturday morning in anticipation of the meeting, and the biological father and grandfather pushed a television cameraman out of the way during the transition.

Evan was placed in a car seat in a van driven by Michael Hopkins, the husband of the child's biological mother, Amanda Hopkins, and the child was whisked away.

Dawn Scott then dropped to the ground in an emotional outburst.

The Scotts' attorney, Susan Pniewski, said there had been no ruling on an appeal filed Friday with the 1st District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee. The Scotts have asked the court to let them keep the child.

"They're pretty resigned. They're just doing the best they can to try to get Evan prepared," she said earlier Saturday.

Hopkins, a member of the U.S. Navy (news - web sites), lives in Illinois with her husband and infant daughter, but their hometown has been kept in sealed court files.

"The Scotts are hoping to keep it a friendly transfer," Pniewski said, hoping it does not become "a big circus."

Carl Moodispaugh, one of the Scotts' neighbors, said Evan was like a little brother to his 8-year-old stepson, Christopher.

"It is like one of our kids being ripped from us," Moodispaugh said.

The case began about 3 1/2 years ago when the childless Scotts met Hopkins, who was pregnant. She agreed to a private adoption, according to court files.

The Scotts watched Evan's birth in May 2001, and he was placed with them two days later.

The adoption was supposed to be final in August 2001. But a month before that, the boy's biological father, Stephen White, filed a motion demanding custody. The Scotts claimed White should not be able to block the adoption, but a judge disagreed.

Hopkins supported the adoption until it appeared the court might grant White's request for custody. Late last month, she was awarded custody and White was given liberal visitation rights.

Calls to attorneys representing Hopkins and White were not immediately returned Saturday.

Debbie Grabarkiewicz, director of case advocacy for Hear My Voice, a child advocacy organization that has helped the Scotts, said the transfer would be difficult for the family.

"They're having a tough time and they're of course working through Evan's distress with his knowledge that he's leaving their family today," she said.

So sad...I thought Adoptive parent should keep Fla boy cuz they been take care of boy for 3 1/2 yrs then all of sudden Biological mom want to get back. I thought Adoptive is just Once sign the paper and Seal for 18 years until the boy is grow up. Adoptive parents have hard time to let him go and try to move on. I wonder if they consider to adopt again in the future or no more cuz of bad experience? I pray for Adoptive parent keep strong and someday accept the facts.

Mommyof3

My brother, sister and I were adopted. Mom is 76 now, and has always been Mom. Dad died in '89 and will always be Dad. I think at three, the child will handle the transition pretty well. I do feel sad for the adoptive parents. Whatever loophole allowed this adoption to be reversed was not at all fair to them or the child. We were lucky to be adopted by aunts and Uncles of our birth father. Of course, we did not know this until we were adults. We were abuse/neglect children. Our birth mother abandoned us in an apartment in East L.A. I think we were found and taken by Welfare folks after nearly a week. My sister was 6-9 months old and was in the hospital for several months after. I was 1 1/2-2 and spent a few weeks there. My brother was 3 and was there a week or so. I never really understood how someone could do that. 8 years ago, I got custody of my 5 y.o daughter. My ex moved in with her lover while we were still married and refused to help support. She pays some support now, but not much. And visits our daughter 3-4 times a year. Again, I just don't understand.

Codger

Maybe your mom and your wife feel like a failure...
and can't be able to take care of their kids.

That doesn't mean they don't love their kids.

Mommy

Yeah, that is sad.
That is why a lot of women don't want to adopt....
but some men tried to make their wives adopt...

Men don't understand, they think no big deal....
because some men don't understand "bonding".

When many women are attached to children, they
won't let go....

That is soooo sad that the lady lost her child and
have to give it back to the natural mother. That isn't right.

In the other board, Raven stated why don't I adopt?
And I said sure why not.
But I understand that thing like this will happen.

Just like my cousin, she adopted a little girl
and lost and have to give back to natural mother.

She was in bad shape....

And I don't think I will ever cope, if a natural mother
take away child I adopt... I would be in deep bad shape.

Back