First year ASL student

Miyavp

Reaction score
Hi my names amber, I'm hearing not deaf and I'm learning sign launguage. I'm not really sure if this is the right place for me to be. I'm really looking for somewhere I can learn more about asl. But I want to learn it from the people who speak it. Not just the teachers. My ASL teacher is very kind and a good teacher but often times her signs are old or a little wrong. She's hearing, she went to school at gallaudet a long time ago. I'm not saying she's a bad teacher or anything but I think ASL has changed alot and since she's not around deaf people and not constantly speaking it she's not really up to date on things. Do people here do that sort of thing of would there be a better forum that anybody knows of? I'm having a hard time finding one. Sorry if I seem a little aprehensive. My ASL teacher is always telling us how different deaf culture is and I really dont want to offend or bother anyone. I just really want to learn about ASL. Thank you for any help :)

:welcome:

This forum is good place to learn about deaf culture and ASL.

There are other sites where you can learn about deaf culture, but has no forum, as far as I know of.

I too am a student and here for that reason. I know very few words but am eagerly learning. I'd love to help each other out.

Looking for info about Gallaudet's Student Summer Immersion Program

Hi, I am very new at this, so please bear with me. My 16 year old daughter has been interested in learning ASL for years and discovered the 10 day Gallaudet Summer Immersion Program. Does anyone know anything about it? My daughter is "hearing" and I have become a bit nervous by references in posts about Gallaudet being a 'hearing bashing' school...

Any insights or access to reviews are welcome!

Thank you!

Hi, I am very new at this, so please bear with me. My 16 year old daughter has been interested in learning ASL for years and discovered the 10 day Gallaudet Summer Immersion Program. Does anyone know anything about it? My daughter is "hearing" and I have become a bit nervous by references in posts about Gallaudet being a 'hearing bashing' school...

Any insights or access to reviews are welcome!

Thank you!

It's full this year anyway. But that is just a summer camp for any kids including hearing. It isn't the college courses.

Why do you put it in quotes that your daughter is hearing?

Back