First Language ASL and English?

Infinite8811

Reaction score
Anyone have their first language ASL and English lol..meaning you learned them at the same time and simutaneously.which one do you prefer to use?
Do you have problems writing english correctly?
:wave:
When people ask which one do you say is your first language?

I grew up bilingual: Korean and English at the same time.
I say my "first language" is whatever language is more prevalent.
so in the US: English. In Korea: Korean.

Even though they're both dominant for me, I tell people my dominant language is what we are speaking to make the person I'm talking to feel comfortable.

Unless, of course, we're conversing in something I'm not fluent in (Japanese, French, Spanish, ASL), in which case I will just say that I am bilingual English/Korean.

It used to be that I would remember everything in Korean or everything in English, and then become very confused by memories of English speaking friends speaking Korean when in fact they had spoke in English and it was only that I had remembered it in Korean. Or by memories of hearing certain Korean songs in perfect English, even though an English version doesn't exist.

In my dreams, everyone speaks whatever language they want but everyone can understand each other without a language barrier...

Sometimes I will remember a word in one language and then be unable to recall it in other languages (especially if I recall a word in Japanese or ASL that I need in English, because the words do not resemble English words in any way / aren't romance languages)

When I am counting stuff (like pages in a book) I will often choose to count in Korean if there are people around me speaking English and vice versa. It's less confusing for me this way.

Anyone have their first language ASL and English lol..meaning you learned them at the same time and simutaneously.which one do you prefer to use?

Is this your homework? Does it look to you like I have problems writing English? Would you like lessons on how to write properly?

Hello I ask question you Deaf or hoh, hearing you I am ask question you, I ask you, you have ASL terp or professional on terp interpreter, you course how homework course study wise! ASL!!!

ASL because my parents taught it to us and we have used it since we were small. English is my second because we attended speech therapy a few times.

dontkillyourself-614x450.jpg

Infinite8811 had a legitimate question.
I know there are often ASL students here who ask "silly" questions.
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think we should take any opportunity we have to educate hearing people about deafness.
When people ask questions it means that they are curious. They WANT to learn more. If we always expect them to already know everything about Deaf culture (I grew up with it but I still get nervous with new deafies) we are setting them up for failure and preventing them for learning more.

Infinite8811 is d/Deaf. Why is he/she being attacked for a legitimate question?
I learned spoken English about a year or two before I learned ASL but that is because I have progressive hearing loss.
To answer Infinite8811's question- I learned spoken English first but that is because my parents are hearing. My grandpa was Deaf but forced to be oral. He had NO choice.
I learned ASL when I started school at age 4. Sign was the most natural thing I have ever experienced. I was safe when I was around people who knew ASL. To this day I dream in ASL though I attempt to exist in the hearing world everyday.

Basically, there aren't so many Deaf people that we can afford to be judgemental. Some deaf people may have been forced to be oral as kids. When they ask questions we shouldn't judge them or assume that they are hearing. They are just like us.
I think it is safe to say that we have all encountered ignorant people. We have all had to prove ourselves when we know that a hearing person could just coast through.
We need to embrace all sorts of deaf/Deaf/hard of hearing/and hearing people. When people ask questions it is because they are curious.
We can't afford to alienate possible allies with snark and sarcasm.

Maybe I am silly in thinking that D/deaf people would be more accepting of others who share a similar experience and those who are curious.

Infinite8811 had a legitimate question.
I know there are often ASL students here who ask "silly" questions.
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think we should take any opportunity we have to educate hearing people about deafness.
When people ask questions it means that they are curious. They WANT to learn more. If we always expect them to already know everything about Deaf culture (I grew up with it but I still get nervous with new deafies) we are setting them up for failure and preventing them for learning more.Ty:ty:

Infinite8811 is d/Deaf. Why is he/she being attacked for a legitimate question?
I learned spoken English about a year or two before I learned ASL but that is because I have progressive hearing loss.
To answer Infinite8811's question- I learned spoken English first but that is because my parents are hearing. My grandpa was Deaf but forced to be oral. He had NO choice.
I learned ASL when I started school at age 4. Sign was the most natural thing I have ever experienced. I was safe when I was around people who knew ASL. To this day I dream in ASL though I attempt to exist in the hearing world everyday.

Basically, there aren't so many Deaf people that we can afford to be judgemental. Some deaf people may have been forced to be oral as kids. When they ask questions we shouldn't judge them or assume that they are hearing. They are just like us.
I think it is safe to say that we have all encountered ignorant people. We have all had to prove ourselves when we know that a hearing person could just coast through.
We need to embrace all sorts of deaf/Deaf/hard of hearing/and hearing people. When people ask questions it is because they are curious.
We can't afford to alienate possible allies with snark and sarcasm.

Maybe I am silly in thinking that D/deaf people would be more accepting of others who share a similar experience and those who are curious.
If youthink it so important, show up here regularly and answer their questions.

If youthink it so important, show up here regularly and answer their questions.

Sorry I'm not here every day. I have graduate and medical school. Also, in this case "they" are a deaf person. "They" are us. We are them.

Being DEAF doesn't mean one "knows/uses" ASL.

A factual matter. Aside: me. Duly stated many times.

My daughter started using ASL about a year before she began learning English, but for the most part she's been acquiring both simultaneously. She was taught ASL and placed in an immersive ASL-focused learning environment, she picked up English organically outside of her structured classroom experience. She prefers ASL with ASL users and English with those using English. Since she's begun reading, her English vocabulary has leaped far beyond her ASL vocabulary, so in general I think she finds it easier to communicate using English nowadays. She says she likes both equally. Some problems writing English, but then, she's 6YO, so still learning :) .

Last edited:
I would do the same thing for my kids if they were deaf kiddos. However my both kids are hearing therefore they learn both ASL and spoke english and write english.

I must have missed some of your points? care to expand this one if you do not mind. if not. thats COOL!. :D

My point was only that ecp has not been here participating, and should not be lecturing people about how to respond to what looks like another stupid ASL student's homework question.

If ecp thinks stupid questions should be answered over and over again, she should be here participating and answering sweetly to each new annoyance.

Instead she makes here judgmental comment, and then says she herself is far too busy being important as a grad student, but everybody else should do this.

Expansive enough??

Not answering which is preferable cuz it should be when it is applicable.

My point was only that ecp has not been here participating, and should not be lecturing people about how to respond to what looks like another stupid ASL student's homework question.

If ecp thinks stupid questions should be answered over and over again, she should be here participating and answering sweetly to each new annoyance.

Instead she makes here judgmental comment, and then says she herself is far too busy being important as a grad student, but everybody else should do this.

Expansive enough??

Plenty!! thank you. I agree. You said it well.

Back