Ericka

Reaction score
Today i picked up my first evver hearing aid. Its an Oticon Nera2 pro. It is alot to get used to. I didn't think that i would have too i thought mild hearing loss means no big deal terms in listening for the most part. I was wrong. I didn't think it was that small(i lose stuff and my kiddo goes on my dresser) I can definitely tell the difference with it out vs when i wear it. I got a headache not too long after i started using it. Is that normal? The audiologist told me over the next 28 days it will go from starter setting to the full prescription because all at once might be too much. As clear as that was i dont really get it. I found out i could have ordered blue! The other audiologist didnt even show me colors other than beige, brown, goldish color and silver.

Well thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 1486596916907.jpg
    1486596916907.jpg
    897.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It takes a while to adjust. And yes, they do start at a lower volume so as not to overwhelm you. Since you have a "trial period", if you decide you want to keep that brand you should ask, before the trial period is over, if you can exchange it for a blue one. Tell them that you were not informed that it came in other colors and you want to switch.

Yeah, that is normal. It took me a long time to get used to the noise and make sense of it. I still get a headache sometimes because it takes so much brainpower to decipher the sounds. I enjoy the peace that comes when I take them out and use them less and less.

I really didn't think it would be this kind of adjustment to get used to. I've taken it out 5 or six times. I didn't think it would be this intense. Is that normal. Ugh. I feel like I'm being dramatic but i know if anyone can relate or give me any tips it would be you all. The audiologist just keep the most important part is to wear it.

Ericka,
It does take awhile to get used to, but you will get there. If It bothers you take it out just as you have been doing. You could also start off with an hour and then take it out for an hour, two hours in, two hours out. Whatever you find that works will get you through the adjustment period. Just don't give up! You can do it! Good luck!

I was told to wear mine for about 3 hours a days for a few day and move up an hour each day after. My ears were so sore where my hearing aids sat. But now I can wear mine for 18+ hours in one day. I sometimes forget about them and almost got in the shower wearing them once so be careful.

Today i picked up my first evver hearing aid. Its an Oticon Nera2 pro. It is alot to get used to. I didn't think that i would have too i thought mild hearing loss means no big deal terms in listening for the most part. I was wrong. I didn't think it was that small(i lose stuff and my kiddo goes on my dresser) I can definitely tell the difference with it out vs when i wear it. I got a headache not too long after i started using it. Is that normal? The audiologist told me over the next 28 days it will go from starter setting to the full prescription because all at once might be too much. As clear as that was i dont really get it. I found out i could have ordered blue! The other audiologist didnt even show me colors other than beige, brown, goldish color and silver.

Well thanks for reading.

you'll love that, I have the 1st version of the Nera (also you might wanna put the hearing aid up high where your kid can't get in there too)
btw, you should check out pimping ideas for the hearing aids since you would love blue too!

Last month I had to break down and go back to the audiologists office because my hearing seemed different and not the way I had become used to hearing with my hearing aid. For a bit I thought maybe it was me but I had become increasingly more frustrated with hearing what was being said but not understanding it has become a bit more difficult to manage. It took her a moment this time to truly listen to me and hear my concerns and finally agreed to retest me in a month. Yesterday was the appointment my low frequencies loss went down further from 20-35 dbl loss to a 20-50 dbl loss with some of my high frequencies( that I didn't know were affected) went back up 5dbl. I'm in tears right now my audi kept saying it's 5 dbl so it's really not a big deal. It doesn't feel that way to me it doesn't sound that way to me... am I really making a big deal of nothing? I just feel like I'm losing it faster than I can learn asl or get involved in the deaf community. I don't know how to express how I feel beside lost in between to spaces with my foot sliding further from the hearing world into a space I don't know how to exist and be in.

Don't worry, those little differences are within the margin of error. After a while of using them, we become more aware of how quiet things are without them. Even if you have a progressive loss, your HA's can be readjusted to keep up with it, and you learn some lipreading skills. I felt sort of panicky when I realized that I could no longer understand without them, but also realized that I can cope. Don't panic, your brain adjusts.

I'm more nervous than usual because I am teaching sun salutations as a yoga teacher trainee at a summer solstice in the morning. This new adjustment has my head constantly hurting.

Like the others said, turn them down, don't wear them all day. Increase gradually. Take Tylenol. Take them out when in noisy environments.

Thanks for the support, mine doesn't have volume control only a button for switching programs. BTW today well. I had to tell my fellow trainees so they would be aware incase I missed anything. I didn't for the most part but I was told I was speaking too softly into the microphone (I sounded really loud to me) other than that and a headache I had no issues .

I have the same problem. I think I am speaking fine but people tell me I am whispering.

Thanks for the support, mine doesn't have volume control only a button for switching programs. BTW today well. I had to tell my fellow trainees so they would be aware incase I missed anything. I didn't for the most part but I was told I was speaking too softly into the microphone (I sounded really loud to me) other than that and a headache I had no issues .

Mine has a volume switch (I wear a BTE but look into that option if the button is not cutting it!)

As I lose the ability to hear my own voice it is quite difficult to judge volume. I try to ask others at the beginning of a conversation, "Is this volume good?"

It does take awhile to get used to hearing aids. I started wearing mine only a 30 minutes a day and then increased to and hour each time until I didn't get headaches or my ears stopped hurting. Now I wear them from when I wake up til I go to bed. Sometimes I lay down with them on and hear my pillow move. I chuckle because I forget that I have them in. It's a true blessing though to have them.

The new program helped but i just moved and that's in a new thread i posted. Things are not the same. Im hoping its not worse again as its feeling like deja vu in regards to understanding, having to actively listen and what things i seem to be missing now.

Back