First date (I am fully hearing going out with hoh girl)

Do_Dods

Reaction score
I recently found myself head over heals for this girl who happened to be Hoh I'm definitely going to ask her out I just have one problem... the only interactions I have ever had with the Hoh/deaf community was with her and her friends (met at a camp). I have little to no signing knowledge (however I'm trying to be a fast leaner). And I need FIRST DATE IDEAS!!! And anything I should/ shouldn't do or say, I really want this to work and I don't want to "F" it up on the first date.

Any help would be amazing!!!

Just practice speaking slowly and carefully. And don't whisper in her ear, hahaha

Be patient. Bring a pad and pen or something to write on at least (Boogie board for the win- when your niece notices you didn't bring it to the dinner outing.. - I forgot...:( ). If you are doing dinner, make sure there's enough lighting if she does lipread any. Quiet place ideal but that almost never happens.

Um... let's see... Been too long since I've been on a date... You can try using any number of apps for speech to text but most are only about 50-50 (IMHO). I've tried 3 out this past week in a few situations. Ava has turned into something confusing and you have to log in to even use it (?!!), Another wouldn't even pick up any speech (oddly it worked before). The one that got regular is okay but tonight the stupid app kept crashing- I think the google speech recognition engine?

Sorry got off track there before I start to rattle on about that app. Anyway. Be yourself, be patient, follow her lead on communication if you can.

Have fun.

Be patient. Bring a pad and pen or something to write on at least (Boogie board for the win- when your niece notices you didn't bring it to the dinner outing.. - I forgot...:( ). If you are doing dinner, make sure there's enough lighting if she does lipread any. Quiet place ideal but that almost never happens.

Um... let's see... Been too long since I've been on a date... You can try using any number of apps for speech to text but most are only about 50-50 (IMHO). I've tried 3 out this past week in a few situations. Ava has turned into something confusing and you have to log in to even use it (?!!), Another wouldn't even pick up any speech (oddly it worked before). The one that got regular is okay but tonight the stupid app kept crashing- I think the google speech recognition engine?

Sorry got off track there before I start to rattle on about that app. Anyway. Be yourself, be patient, follow her lead on communication if you can.

Have fun.
Yeah great ideas! I just don't know if anything is strange or rude communicating wise and thankyou for your advice it will help so much!!

I am hearing and my husband is Deaf. For our first date, we went to a cafe and I brought my laptop. I didn't know any ASL back then, so he tried to read my lips at first. After that, we typed back and forth in a Word document on my laptop. We had a great time!

I would suggest you text her and ask what her preferred method of communication is.

I am hearing and my husband is Deaf. For our first date, we went to a cafe and I brought my laptop. I didn't know any ASL back then, so he tried to read my lips at first. After that, we typed back and forth in a Word document on my laptop. We had a great time!

I would suggest you text her and ask what her preferred method of communication is.
I like that. The laptop method. It’s a cool idea, and apparently it worked! :)

Back