Fire alarms

MattyinAus

Reaction score
Hey. It woke me up this morning without being freaked out like a shake-a-wake alarms or even a radio clock! It is first time I woken up by a fire alarm at college for four years! This is my last semester and never happened before this. It was 9am this morning. My left ear is moderate profound deaf and right is moderate to severe. However I heard the sound is on my right ear, not the left 'good' ear. Very strange indeed.

Fire alarm is in network system with PA system. Its really loud enough to wake everyone one. One funny thing not everyone on my floor is actually getting out of bed! RA came knocking and opening the doors trying to get them out but they didn't haha.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Don't you have a strobe alarm in your room?

An audible fire alarm would never ever be able to wake me up - I need visual/tactile alarms for everything if I'm sleeping.

Matty, don't keep us in suspense. Was there a fire? What happened?

No strobe light! It just a regular network fire alarm system for the colleges, commercial buildings etc. It was loud enough to get me with that sound but I'm moderate to severe profound deaf. Pretty obvious!?

No fire. It just false alarm. It happens more than 99.9% of time here on campus. There was never a fire. If there was a fire especially at fault, the person has to pay fine up to $1000 in excess! Hence no one wanted to do that!

I noticed an email few weeks ago about fire alarm testing. I'm sure those guys didn't turned up to test it. Hence false alarms occurred. Should have tested otherwise!

I'm glad that you're OK. :)

In the US, the law requires strobe light alarms in addition to the extremely loud ones in campus college buildings.

Reba said:
I'm glad that you're OK. :)

In the US, the law requires strobe light alarms in addition to the extremely loud ones in campus college buildings.

Also in Canada. My landlord where required to install a strobe alarm for me.

I also had multiple neighbours who rang my doorbell if the fire alarm went off as a "back up".

Haha classic ^^^^

Yea well I find it weird I heard it from my bad ear and nothing heard from my good ear. Wonder whats up with that? Is it something to do with the sound influence in the air or the sound made from the fire alarm? It sounded like a hummimg sound in pulses. Like hum....hum...hum......

To clarify - the strobe is a flashing fire alarm. Also by doorbell is connected to my Visual alerting system which flashes lights etc.

I have a sound detector for fire alarm's siren very loud and the detector received the sound and send a signal to my flasher.

No strobe light! It just a regular network fire alarm system for the colleges, commercial buildings etc. It was loud enough to get me with that sound but I'm moderate to severe profound deaf. Pretty obvious!?

No fire. It just false alarm. It happens more than 99.9% of time here on campus. There was never a fire. If there was a fire especially at fault, the person has to pay fine up to $1000 in excess! Hence no one wanted to do that!

I noticed an email few weeks ago about fire alarm testing. I'm sure those guys didn't turned up to test it. Hence false alarms occurred. Should have tested otherwise!

it could be some idiot pulling a dumb college prank LOL!!!! reminds me of an episode where someone's cell phone set the alarm off xD

Nah. Just found out it was a practice drill. But 9am haha. No firefighters came at all. It just the building practice.

But other building in same college which is the oldest one had three false alarms on other day. One at 12am, 4am and 11am.....

Don't you have a strobe alarm in your room?

An audible fire alarm would never ever be able to wake me up - I need visual/tactile alarms for everything if I'm sleeping.

Yeah me either!! Actually even if I'm a awake and have my aids in I can't hear alarms, my hearing aids actually block it out. At work we have strobe lights as well, they're in the hallways, breakroom, and all the massage rooms except for one. That happens to be the room they always put me in. :laugh2:

Couple months ago I was giving a massage in that room and had no idea the fire alarms were going off until one of my coworkers knocked on the door and opened it, then I could see the strobes going off. I have no idea why the lady I was massaging didn't let me know :shock: She's one of my regulars and knows I'm deaf, she just laid there listening to it and listening to it.

Does anyone know of a smoke alarm that works like the sonic boom alarm clock? If I am asleep a strobe light does not do me any good. Thanks!!!

Does anyone know of a smoke alarm that works like the sonic boom alarm clock? If I am asleep a strobe light does not do me any good. Thanks!!!

I imagine Sonic Boom makes different kinds, I have a sonic boom one. But I also have an alarm clock sent to me by, assitive technology?? the audi filed paperwork for me to get an alarm clock and an amplified phone, which I've never actually tried using. But...the alarm has a bed shaker, and a plug in the back to plug a lamp into. It came with a door bell you can attach outside you door, if an alarm goes off (not sure how that works actually unless it detects stuff that's super loud, dunno) or if someone rings the bell, your bed shaker will go off and the lamp will flash. Oh it also has a phone jack in the back to plug your phone into and the same thing will happen if you phone rings. I stopped using that alarm though, and went back to the sonic boom because for some reason after I've hit the snooze button, and I'm a wicked snooze button abuser, it doesn't shake the bed as hard as it does when it first goes off so I'd sleep through it. I slept like the dead even before I lost my hearing though. I'd have to look at the directions again for the smoke detector, I know it's supposed to set the alarm clock off if it goes off, but I'm not sure if you have to do anything special to hook it up or whatever. I wasn
t too worried about that because I'm not the only person in the house when I'm sleeping.

Back