fingerspell Y-E-S or sign *S* (Yes)

Which sign you prefer?

• Total voters

yagazn

Reaction score
Which one you sign?

Fingerspell Y-E-S or sign nod *S* Yes.

I noticed some prefer fingerspell Y-E-S or some prefer sign nod with *S*, Yes.

EDIT: I forget to add one more for the vote poll. It should be (3) "either", I apologize.

Last edited:
when i sign "yes," i move my dominant "s" hand up and down several times. i've never seen anyone fingerspell the entire word "yes" before, but i have seen them sign "y-s."

I do the standard s nod, but to my friends, I give 'em a hell yeah! This is an h started over the center of the chest, slide over to the shoulder, then a y abruptly raised above your head. :)

I do both ways by signing "S" with a nod and fingerspell Y-E-S.

For instance, if I were in a heated debate with someone and I'm firm with what I say, I usually use Y-E-S as an emphasis. In general, I use the "S" nod with my hand in just about any type of conversations. :)

It depends on the circumstances.

If I want to emphasize "yes", I'll sign it as Y-E-S.

If I'm just making a simple response, I'll sign it with 'S'.

I do both ways by signing "S" with a nod and fingerspell Y-E-S.

For instance, if I were in a heated debate with someone and I'm firm with what I say, I usually use Y-E-S as an emphasis. In general, I use the "S" nod with my hand in just about any type of conversations. :)

Same here.

I do both signs. :) It depends how the expression and how the reaction is to something.

The sign yes is the official "way" to sign yes...but

the lexicalized fingerspelling of yes (it looks like y-s) is used for emphasis.

MANY words are fingerspelling for emphasis, or if they're short words, especially when they've become lexicalized (when the movement changes from spelling an English word to making it an ASL sign).

There isn't a "right way" to sign yes-- fluent signers will use both when appropriate.

from the posts above, i gather that it's correct to use all 3 of the signs that have been described (i.e. signing with the "s" hand, fingerspelling "y-s" and fingerspelling "y-e-s"). am i right about that? just want to make sure for future reference.

The sign yes is the official "way" to sign yes...but

the lexicalized fingerspelling of yes (it looks like y-s) is used for emphasis.

MANY words are fingerspelling for emphasis, or if they're short words, especially when they've become lexicalized (when the movement changes from spelling an English word to making it an ASL sign).

There isn't a "right way" to sign yes-- fluent signers will use both when appropriate.

Agreed. There are times when I will use 'y-s' because of the 'short' cut rather than spelling the whole thing. Also, There are a lot of words that are fingerspelled in a lexical way.

It also varies with each signers and their preferences.

I voted for the S nod. Although I have a bad habit of forgetting and just nodding my head.

i do called says YES! im always usually on words!

i never says S like shit!

I just nod my S hand up and down, but never thought to spell it out entirely. Would the emphasis be same when nodding your head up and down along with the hand as it would be to spell it out?

from the posts above, i gather that it's correct to use all 3 of the signs that have been described (i.e. signing with the "s" hand, fingerspelling "y-s" and fingerspelling "y-e-s"). am i right about that? just want to make sure for future reference.

I would only say Y-E-S, and have only seen Y-E-S, as there is the lexicalized version, for clarification of the sign yes, (i.e. with a beginning signer) or if for some reason discussing the English word yes in a deep linguistics discussion about word meaning, (i.e. me signing to a Deaf person: the English word Y-E-S is not equivalent to sign YES or fingerspelling Y-S in meaning because...)
Basically, I would only spell Y-E-S, and have only seen it spelled, when talking about the English word yes. (It could maybe, possibly, RARELY be used otherwise, but it would be a one time event and not be repeated)

Also, the lexicalized version-- as all lexicalized signs are-- doesn't have the same movement as our usual "borrowing English words" fingerspelling. The Y to S does a little bit of a jump forward, and often has an upward swinging movement. -- Alas, I don't have a camera, but ask a fluent signer to show you this if you don't know what I mean.

Hope this helps!
(I'm a Linguistics major with a focus in ASL, can ya tell?)

Back