Finding Deaf Community!?

Which of the various "sign communication" system is the above? Try thumbs up.-universal symbol.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

asking ?

How do you find a Deaf coffee house ?

If we cant ask questions how can we find answers,I am not meaning to cause any bad feelings. I am a older adult we is going deaf fast. I* want to find people who i can comunicate with as most hearing people ignore me. I start the conversation and then they turn and go .. That is why i ask how to find a deaf coffee house.

It's not possible to answer that question when we have no idea about your location.

Google:

ASL + [your location]

Which of the various "sign communication" system is the above? Try thumbs up.-universal symbol.

Although ... you have to watch that one in some cultures where the thumb up actually means something along the lines of "up your bum" -- I seem to remember a certain President getting in hot water over that one. Similarly, the OK gesture can be a rough one, too.

It is ASL. It is the sign for the concept of *narrowminded*

If we cant ask questions how can we find answers,I am not meaning to cause any bad feelings. I am a older adult we is going deaf fast. I* want to find people who i can comunicate with as most hearing people ignore me. I start the conversation and then they turn and go .. That is why i ask how to find a deaf coffee house.

Someone gave the link earlier

Deaf Chat Coffee | A deaf social lifestyle

The Deaf community has never been very visible. There is no need to advertise, they know who they are and they keep in touch with each other. They know where and when "events" will happen.

My suggestion. Go where people hang out. Deaf people are people. They hang out in all the same places other people do.

Signing is no longer a stigma so Deaf people will sign in public nowadays. Watch for people signing. Sign yourself. A Deaf person may notice and introduce themselves. If you see someone else signing walk up to them and start a conversation.

If you are likable soon every Deaf person in the area will know who you are, your attitude and how well you sign. Deaf people will introduce themselves to you.

If you are not likable, if you have a bad attitude, every Deaf person in the area will avoid you and you will never see one again.

Kris4rumy, first, welcome to Alldeaf.
You are in our west Texas area. There are many deaf socials and some churches have deaf members. Are you deaf or hoh? Tell us aobut yourself?

I posted the answer to your question up above. It's post #32, I believe. But if you still can't find it, go to deafcoffee.com.

I wish i live in Texas but some of my family lives there. I go every now and then. I am in Pensacola Florida at moment.

Anyone from Jax, FL?

I am from Jacksonville, Florida. Was wondering if there are any deaf people in Jacksonville, Florida area? I do not know any deaf people and I feel like I'm alone in this big hearing world.

I am a mom of 2. Would be nice to find some deaf people in my area and get together to chat. AllDeaf is nice but not a substitute for a real friend you can chat with in person, hang out with and all that. I'd like to go out once in awhile than being by the computer.

Another option is to join a deaf dating website but that doesn't do it for me because I want to find friends, not romance. Too bad there isn't a site where you can find just friends.

And what about deaf chat? I cannot find a decent one. Deafchat.com is out of order for months/years! Ridiculous!

I am from Jacksonville, Florida. Was wondering if there are any deaf people in Jacksonville, Florida area? I do not know any deaf people and I feel like I'm alone in this big hearing world.

I am a mom of 2. Would be nice to find some deaf people in my area and get together to chat. AllDeaf is nice but not a substitute for a real friend you can chat with in person, hang out with and all that. I'd like to go out once in awhile than being by the computer.

Another option is to join a deaf dating website but that doesn't do it for me because I want to find friends, not romance. Too bad there isn't a site where you can find just friends.

And what about deaf chat? I cannot find a decent one. Deafchat.com is out of order for months/years! Ridiculous!

I suggest that you google up Deaf Community in Jacksonville. I was able to find a few but maybe start with the FLA School for the Deaf and Blind first and they could send you local information. The link is Florida School for The Deaf & The Blind.

As for deaf chat- try deafglobalchat.com but you are right, it does not replace for face to face friendships.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

Believe me, I've googled to death on "deaf". Checked out all the deaf chats I could find, coffee chat, clubs etc.

Thanks for the link globalchat. I checked it out. As usual, like the others I've checked out, the chat room is empty. It saddens me. The hearing people has it so easy. Sigh...They can come up to anyone and start up a chat.

I'm currently in a multi-player website where you can play games and meet people online. It's wonderful, I've met alot of great hearing people, except they're all hearing. Only if it were a deaf website...

Have any of you looked into the DPHH (or DNO) -- whichever it's called in your area? I see that San Francisco has those, although that's probably 1.5 hours or so from you, Lady?

I believe we have a user from Jax, FL. Look around and see. I will alert her if I can.

Have any of you looked into the DPHH (or DNO) -- whichever it's called in your area? I see that San Francisco has those, although that's probably 1.5 hours or so from you, Lady?

I'm kinda limited transportation wise, and my job seems to think I can work my life around it. :(

I suggest that you google up Deaf Community in Jacksonville. I was able to find a few but maybe start with the FLA School for the Deaf and Blind first and they could send you local information. The link is Florida School for The Deaf & The Blind.

As for deaf chat- try deafglobalchat.com but you are right, it does not replace for face to face friendships.

Good luck.
Lady, thanks for the globalchat link. That was pretty neat! Was happy to see there's plenty of deaf people in there and the best part is they were all older! I was afraid it would be filled with teenagers but NOT! Thanks! Cool! Still...hoping to find deaf events near me or even meet just one deaf person in my area and make friends. I never realized how alone I felt until now. I used to live in Chicago IL where there was so many deaf and I took it for granted. Wow. Moved to Jax, FL, and...nothing. Anyhow, I'm not giving up. I'll keep searching.

I'm having the same problem. I live in Modesto CA and can't find any luck on finding the deaf community around here.

I do suggest though trying to take up a sign-language class! that's what I'm going to do and who knows, I might run into someone :D

ditto...I'm in GA and so far this has been the only place I can find that is quite active. I know there are Deaf meet ups websites but I don't know much ASL as I was raised to be Oral only but am learning ASL. I know some Deafs can be kind of inclusive I've met a few elite ones that didn't like me because I wore hearing aids and spoke and didn't sign. It was hurtful.

Back