Finally watched that old movie with subtitles??

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
Remember that old movie you used to love as a kid but subtitle wasn't a big thing back in the day? and now you found that movie and watched it and realized how much you really missed out on the storyline?

I just got The Never Ending Story... on blu ray..... and it has subtitles!!! omg! :shock:

Never Ending Storrryyyyyyyyyy! ahhhh ahhhh ahhhhhh. :giggle:

Speaking of which I soooo want to get this:

I've ALWAYS wanted the Auryn!!!! finally found it!!! I loved one of the reviewer's post: "I received the Auryn necklace. I placed it around my neck and BAM! No F*!%$g Falcore dragon. How the heck am I suppose to save the Child-Like Empress if I cant even get a dragon to fly me out there! Last time I checked Southwest Airlines isn't making trips to Fantasia. Whos going to stop the nothing? Not this guy. "

:laugh2:

Anyways, what was your fav movie you watched finally on subtitle?

I had a similar experience when I re-watched 'The Fisher King' - the Terry Gilliam film starring Jeff Bridges & Robin Williams. I had watched it at least four or five times previously without subtitles and thought I knew the film off by heart. But when I watched it with subtitles, it was like a whole new film. There were layers and quips that I never knew existed. It was already one of my favourite films, and the stuff revealed by subtitles made me love the film even more. Ever since that eye-opening experience, I have never watched a film without subtitles again as I don't want to miss out on all those details. Okay, I might get the general gist of a film without subtitles, but it's all those little details that make watching a film such as 'The Fisher King' such a rich experience.

I LOVE the TCM channel - all those old movies now closed captioned - it's heavenly. Trying to remember the first old favourite I watched with subtitles...I think it was "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn".

I had a similar experience when I re-watched 'The Fisher King' - the Terry Gilliam film starring Jeff Bridges & Robin Williams. I had watched it at least four or five times previously without subtitles and thought I knew the film off by heart. But when I watched it with subtitles, it was like a whole new film. There were layers and quips that I never knew existed. It was already one of my favourite films, and the stuff revealed by subtitles made me love the film even more. Ever since that eye-opening experience, I have never watched a film without subtitles again as I don't want to miss out on all those details. Okay, I might get the general gist of a film without subtitles, but it's all those little details that make watching a film such as 'The Fisher King' such a rich experience.
Yeah. I feel the same way when I finally see old movies with subtitles or captions. I saw a lot of movies as a kid, but didn't get my first closed-caption decoder until I was 13 or 14 years old. By then, I had already seen a lot of movies without captions. As the years go by, I will come across these old movies and watch them again... only to now understand them this time. :)

Movies

Laughing, get out of my head, my friend Mr Smith. That is one of my all time favorites. I had a different experiece, was hearing first time I saw it and loved it, lost all hearing....then saw it again just recently with subtitles. I was amazed. I really had a better understanding and appreciation of a film I already thought I knew so well. It seems to me that since becoming stone deaf, captions make me pay closer attention, and I really did get things that I did not remember when I saw it hearing?? strange, I guess becoming profoundly deaf and losing 1/4 of my brain made me a better "listener" laughing...ya' think? smiling...Peace always..Midnight♥♥♥

I LOVE the TCM channel - all those old movies now closed captioned - it's heavenly. Trying to remember the first old favourite I watched with subtitles...I think it was "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn".

I hate the 'THIS' channel , they have NO CC on any movies or TV shows, and they had Abbot and Costello on a couple of days ago! I love Abbot and Costello
and there where no CC!! GRRR! I had called Comcast about this and they said not up to them to have CC, it station. and this is not true! I called FCC and was told Comcast did to made sure there are CC!

I've missed out sooo much in a movie because of not knowing whats being said. Soo glad for subtitles now.

I know what you mean! I was watching the 'Wizard Of Oz' with some friends once and they wanted to why I wanted to see it again when I already saw it a numbers of times. There was no CC then and I told my friends each time I watch the movie I hear something I never heard before!

i am cutting off netflix for crappy service and they raised the rates 2 times this yr!! here i come blockbuster online!!

Remember that old movie you used to love as a kid but subtitle wasn't a big thing back in the day? and now you found that movie and watched it and realized how much you really missed out on the storyline?

I just got The Never Ending Story... on blu ray..... and it has subtitles!!! omg! :shock:

Never Ending Storrryyyyyyyyyy! ahhhh ahhhh ahhhhhh. :giggle:

I've seen this movie on so many occasions starting on the VHS format, then the DVD. I haven't gotten it on the Blu-ray format just yet though. It's one of my childhood favourites.

I felt the same way. When dvd first came out with films I had seen but never with CC, my response was to buy them! :)

I am the same with those Shirley Temple movies. It also changed the way I look at Shirley Temple.

There are some movies that I'm thinking about watching again soon... with subtitles/captions.

I've already watched The Blob (original version) and The Day the Earth Stood Still (original version). :)

Oh, yes! A couple of years ago I rented this movie I always watched since I was a small kid (honestly, I cannot remember what movie it was)...and it was *gasping for dramatic effect here* captioned! I actually cried. Then I went in this mode of renting all the movies I could think of that I watched as a kid but didn't really understand it.

Then one day I got "The Wizard of Oz." I thought I knew the story but when I watched it with captions for the first time, I was nearly hyperventilating...I mean- I had the story all wrong! :p

There are some movies that I'm thinking about watching again soon... with subtitles/captions.

I've already watched The Blob (original version) and The Day the Earth Stood Still (original version). :)

The Blob is out? I have always wanted to watch it again in subtitles. I think it is more scary when I don't know what was being said.

The Blob is out? I have always wanted to watch it again in subtitles. I think it is more scary when I don't know what was being said.
That can sometimes be the case, but I've always wondered... "Why did that guy do this? Why is everyone screaming? What is that woman looking at?" A lot of times, movements are made to sounds... but what sounds?

For instance, there was a scene in Back to the Future where Marty was standing at a payphone. The guy working behind the counter suddenly looked at Marty. Marty then moved his hand behind his head. When I saw the movie again with captions, it said "watch alarm beeps". That's when I realized why those two acted that way.

Yes, The Blob (both versions) is out on DVD. Rumor has it that another remake is in the works... supposedly more bloody and gory than ever. The director who was going to do it, has dropped the project. So, who knows what will happen from there. :dunno:

Thanks Vampy.

I am trying to think of an old movie that I saw captioned once. I remember the scene where the newlyweds were having their first spat. The wife walked away and the husband was yelling after her "Angel, Angel". The older woman who had fainted earlier, was lying on the couch. She woke up and said "Angel? I must be in heaven." and smiled then passed out. I thought the part was funny but I don't remember the name of the movie. I thought the older woman was Shelley Winters but I could be wrong.

Back